Report: Warner Bros. Eyes David Ayer for Suicide Squad Flick

WldCard

Mar 20, 2010
Report: Warner Bros. Eyes David Ayer for Suicide Squad Flick

Fury and End of Watch director is WB's choice to bring DC Comics' anti-heroes to the big screen.

Hot on the heels of DC Comics' announcement that a Supergirl television series a report at Variety [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137546-DC-Comics-Supergirl-Coming-to-CBS], the studio is looking to sign Fury and End of Watch director David Ayer to direct the big screen action of DC's villain-turned-hero team. The film will be produced by Dan Lin (Sherlock Holmes, The LEGO Movie) based off a script by Justin Marks (Top Gun 2, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li).

Although the original Suicide Squad debuted back in 1959 in The Brave and the Bold #25 as a team of heroes formed to stand in for the then-absent Justice Society of America, the concept was completely reinvented nearly three decades later in issue #3 of DC's Legends mini-series, written by John Ostrander. This version of the Suicide Squad (also known as "Task Force X") featured an ever-changing roster of supervillains, recruited by the government and offered commuted sentences in exchange for participating in highly dangerous, covert operations with a low possibility of survival.

This isn't the first time fans have seen the Suicide Squad make the leap from the comic page into other media. The Squad gets a nod in the recent Batman: Arkham Origins and Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate games, and has appeared on the small screen in both Smallville and Arrow. In fact, due to a huge outpouring of fan support over the team's initial appearances last season, the Suicide Squad is expected to appear again in the upcoming third season of Arrow, and is even being eyed as another potential spinoff (joining The Flash, which debuts on CW next month).

With a feature film in development, a potential television series in the works, and even a rumored video game in the wings, it's hard to deny that, at least for DC's Suicide Squad, it's a good day to be a bad guy.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/warner-bros-circling-david-ayer-for-adaptation-of-dc-comics-suicide-squad-1201308883/]

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Grumman said:
What's that? It sounds suspiciously unlike "Secret Six flick". Pass.
Though originally it was basically GI Joe with powers.
It's actually a very good comic exploring 'bad guys' doing good things, usually for selfish reasons but they tend to grow as people. A fairly recent arc was basically an analog for getting out of an abusive relationship for one very popular Harley Quinn. Also this is king shark:

He likes to party.

I think if they do it like what the recent series has been and avoid making it a 'spy movie' it could be very good.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
This probably won't end well. I see the same problems as with Dawn of Justice: you need to introduce characters as villains before you can have a movie where they try to get out of the consequences for having been villains. I mean, I guess if they're just shooting for something like The Expendables but with supers it could work, being a member of the Suicide Squad has a high mortality rate (go figure), and that means they can keep pumping them out without having to worry about any one actor demanding a pile of cash, as is happening with the Marvel movies.
...Now I want that to be a thing, and will be sad that that's not what it is...

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
... I gotta say, will Harley Quinn make a live action appearance in this movie before a batman movie? Strikes me as odd.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
DC already made an animated Suicide Squad movie:

I liked it. It was almost like a Shadowrun game.

ccggenius12 said:
This probably won't end well. I see the same problems as with Dawn of Justice: you need to introduce characters as villains before you can have a movie where they try to get out of the consequences for having been villains.
I have not read the comics, but going only by Batman: Assault on Arkham, most of these characters don't have a lot of depth. Captain Boomerang is literally just an Australian guy who throws boomerangs. Black Spider is a ninja vigilante wearing power armor(?) Even so, there was a lot of fun to be had in their interactions with each other and gleeful destruction.

It can work, it just has to be operating under the assumption that most people (even batman fans) will not be familiar with them.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I love Ostrander's Suicide Squad, it is one of the greatest written comic book runs of all time. I guess we will know if it is worth watching when we hear who is cast as The Wall, if she is under 50 and under 200lbs it will be shit. Ditto if Deadshot has no moustache or Captain Boomerang isn't a hugely entertaining ruthless coward.
Grumman said:
The irony of that is quite delicious, as Secret Six was created as a tribute to Ostrander, even getting the master himself to write a few issues.

ace_of_something said:
snip
I think if they do it like what the recent series has been and avoid making it a 'spy movie' it could be very good.
Spy movie? Since when was The Dirty Dozen a 'spy movie'? Because that is what the Squad is.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
The animated movie kinda sold me on the concept. Sure, there there were some parts of the aesthetic I felt were kinda "15-year old's idea of edgy" but there was also some of the mature content I liked, and though the characters were introduced in a hurried pace, their interactions laid enough groundwork for the group dynamics to be entertaining.

Also, I think they could definately take the risk and introduce Harley Quinn without the Joker. Here's why:

-She's a prominent batman villain, and therefore probably the most established of the members.
-I think it will still be too early for another actor to take on the Joker by the time the movie comes out. Maybe in the sequel.
-They can still make nods to a history with Joker without him being involved in the movie. Fans like that sort of thing.
-They need a girl on the team anyway so why not?

Well, we'll have to wait for more information on what kind of concept they are going for to really make any more predictions.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
octafish said:
Grumman said:
The irony of that is quite delicious, as Secret Six was created as a tribute to Ostrander, even getting the master himself to write a few issues.
That's not irony, that's me saying that I'd watch a movie about Gail Simone's iteration of the Secret Six, but not any of the others.

SonOfAnarchy91

Sep 22, 2014
If the movie is anything like Assault On Arkham is should be amazing. But if they make it a "serious" no jokes *ahem* "Epic" like Man Of Steel and Dawn Of Justice it will flatout suck. Man Of Steel was terrible and I have Zero hope for Dawn Of Justice.
Assault On Arkham is the best Animated film to come from DC or MARVEL in a LONG Time.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
*looks across the pond* Thunderbolts? No? Nothing? Ok then.

As far as this goes, I like the idea, BUT I hope they pull a mix-up with the cast. Assault on Arkham was pretty good, and I really don't want them trying to capture that twice. It won't work..

No, I hope they throw in something like Captain Cold, Penguin, Black Adam... Count Vertigo? I dunno. Something different then New 52/Assault has on the table.