The History of Dungeons & Dragons in Video Games, Part Two

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The History of Dungeons & Dragons in Video Games, Part Two

In part two of our history of Dungeons & Dragons in video games we head into the modern era of gaming, touching on classic titles like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights and the unforgettable classic that is Daggerdale.

Read Full Article

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I remember Birthright. While the dungeon crawling was a bit dull, I really dug the political and military portions of the gameplay. Building a super alliance to defeat the Gorgon's skeleton hordes was really run. The RTS portion was rudimentary and almost like chess, but still serviceable. I had a lot of fun with it.

And Demon Stone had one killer soundtrack. But FUCK THAT GODDAMN DRAGON BOSS FIGHT.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Demonstone wasn't bad, but I think that "propped up by a script from R.A. Salvatore" might be overstating things a bit. Sure, having him write the script to a game sounds good until you realize that his strongest writing points are highly detailed fight descriptions and introspective monologues, neither of which are incredibly useful in an action game(unless you get Simon Templeman to voice your protagonist).

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
The highlights in the latter era were Baldur's Gate 1+2 and TOEE, but both were lacking in certain areas. BG the lacked the deep turn-based tactical nuance of TOEE, which in turn lacked a certain depth in its story. But TOEE's combat is still the best D&D ever had, and I'd love to see the Infinity Box games somehow revamped or modded with TOEE's engine instead of the real-time combat it ended up with.

Oh and I forgot the other highlight, the Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN2, which has what is possibly the best story out of any D&D CRPG.

But this article now looks like an epitaph: it looks like D&D CRPGs are dead, single-player at least. The last proper single-player D&D game according to this article was over 5 years ago. Sad.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Dark Alliance 2 ended on a cliffhanger, which is a real shame-because not only did the series not get a third entry, but the entire region the cliffhanger was pointing towards got retconned out of existence with 4th edition, so the possibility of a third entry is all but impossible at this point. A shame, even if the campaign was shorter and less fulfilling in the second game, I thought the playable characters were more imaginative and a step up from the first game (how many D&D games can boast that they let you play a Drow Llothite monk?!?), and the item customization was a welcome improvement as well. Still, The Champions of Norrath game perfected the formula, so the series didn't die in vain IMO.

Temple of Elemental Evil had a great combat system, and utilized a lot of the more nonstandard weapons that don't appear in other games (spiked chain, anyone?) and remains the only D&D game to have a homosexual romance in it-all good things. It's a shame the plot was so rubbish and railroad in so many ways. Why have subdual damage if there's nowhere in the game when it's advantageous? I remember beating the first boss unconscious ( a drow cleric) only to find that the only way to advance in the story was to kill him... he had to die before you could recover his diary off his body (even though I had already stripped him of his armor and weapon)

The Baldur's Gate Trilogy is great, it's true-but not without it's flaws. The second game gets a lot of praise (rightfully so) but trades out a lot of the great things the first game had going for it. Very little exploration compared to the first game, a sharp reduction in party members (particularly evil aligned ones-not even enough left for a full party!) And the game can often be railroad-particularly for evil player characters. And of course, Throne of Bhaal was just plain awful.

I'd personally be rather hesitant to heap praise upon Neverwinter. If one is going to point out that the Dark Alliance series has little to do with the Baldur's Gate series outside the name and setting, then much the same could be said for Neverwinter. Also, Cryptic has a habit of paygating just about everything and in many ways aims to milk the so-called 'whales' of online games. IMO it's popularity also stems in no small part from the name and setting recognition-in an environment where it's pretty much the only modern D&D game around-and not necessarily because of it's quality as a game.