This Ancient Mayan Batman is Based on a Real "Death Bat" God

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
This Ancient Mayan Batman is Based on a Real "Death Bat" God

Stuff like this will confuse the heck out of future historians.

In honor of the 75th anniversary of Batman, Warner Home Entertainment Mexico cooked up a clever promotion. It worked with the Mexican Museum of Design, and invited a group of artists to rework the Dark Knight however they saw fit (which could have gone [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9617-Batman-Is-Everything-Wrong-With-Square-Enix]horribly wrong[/a]). One artist decided to make his design more historic, using ancient Mayan designs taken from a [a href=https://www.behance.net/gallery/19712599/Batman-a-travs-de-la-creatividad-mexicana]"death bat" cult[/a].

Kimbal based his design off of the old Mayan god [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camazotz]Camazotz[/a], which literally translates to "death bat". The name makes more sense when you realize that Camazotz had the body of a man and the head of a bat, and was generally associated with darkness, night, and the underworld. Mayan mythology doesn't say anything about crime fighting, but does mention beheading a guy and using his head to play a ballgame. Kimbal might need to retcon that last bit.

[gallery=3252]
Sure, Batman might be old, but he's actually much, much older than that. You see, Batman is a primal force of the universe. Just like Wind, Fire, and Water, Batman always has been, and always will be.

Source: [a href=https://www.behance.net/gallery/19712599/Batman-a-travs-de-la-creatividad-mexicana]Behance[/a]

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I can't wait to see what historians will think of our time (Okay, we'll all be dead, but you know) because I'm dead certain they'll think Batman was a deity, and Marvel & DC were rival religions.

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
The thing about "confusing future historians" is that it will be a lot harder to do in said future, because there is a lot more written history now than there were before, and it will keep being that way unless something major happens. Not that it wouldn't be fun to have a people belive Batman was an actual god, or that Abraham Lincoln was a real vampire hunter.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
That looks like it would fit right into WoW's Pandaria expansion as an armor set. Make it happen, Blizz. Monks need some good tier sets.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Id be more scared of walking into this in the middle of the night than some grey scaled luchador

[...im mocking Bats' design]

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
"Just like Wind, Fire, and Water, Batman always has been, and always will be."

How eerily fitting that almost exactly that was said of The Joker in one of the comics. The one where it was all from a new mook's POV?

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
"A Real Death Bat God", something sound off about that phrase to you? Probably because the headline is written so poorly it implies the existence of death bat gods. Why not "An Actual Mythological Death Bat God", that way it makes sense and you still get to put 'Batman' and 'Death Bat God' in your headline.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Am I the only one that wants to see this used in an actual Batman story now?!?! Or failing that a Venture Brothers Episode? I mean that's just too cool! El Batmanuel?

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
I 100% approve!

Camazotz was one of the demons that dwelled in Xibalba (Quiche Mayan land of the dead), and his domain was the House of Night, at least going by his appearance as the decapitator of one of the Hero Twins of Mayan myth in the Popol Vuh. There's a lot to suggest the progenitor of Camazotz may have been the desmodus draculae,a species of giant South American vampire bat which may have lived into the early holocene period, with enough time to freak out the early Amerinds into making up some interesting myth tales. Or...you know...regular bats could have been the source, too.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Dang. That's certainly enough to frighten criminals, especially the superstitious and cowardly ones. I kinds wanna see this used in an actual comic now...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
faefrost said:
Am I the only one that wants to see this used in an actual Batman story now?!?! Or failing that a Venture Brothers Episode? I mean that's just too cool! El Batmanuel?
That did happen in a Venture Brothers episode. They go to these Mayan ruins to find Venture-stein and his army of escaped lab mutants, Hank gets separated from the rest of the group, finds an ancient bat shrine after wigging out on raw coffee beans, then becomes "The Bat". It was awesome.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Yeah, there's no such thing as a "real" death bat god.

Apart from the actual Batman, of course.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
That is just... WICKED COOL!

And it reminds me of the Michale Keaton's Batman - the first one. When the reporter's standing there looking at his armor collection? That so needs to be digitally edited into the film, right along side the Wicker Peoples' king's suit.