Humble Weekly Bundle Celebrates Leading Ladies in Games

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Humble Weekly Bundle Celebrates Leading Ladies in Games

The latest Humble Weekly Bundle includes games with female protagonists and supports Girls Make Games.

This week's Humble Weekly Bundle includes an assortment of seven games with female protagonists and helps fund scholarships for young women through Girls Make Games.

Humble Bundles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/humble%20bundle] are a series of collections where customers can pay what they want. Customers can also adjust how much of their money goes where, such as how much goes to a developer, how much goes to a charity, and how much goes to Humble Bundle.

Included in the Leading Ladies Weekly bundle for pay what you want is Lilly Looking Through, Ms. Splosion Man, The Cat Lady, and Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten. At $6 or more, you also receive Long Live the Queen and The Yawhg. Finally, at $10 or more, you also receive Valdis Story: Abyssal City.

The developers don't all have leading ladies on staff like their games do, but the four-person team of The Yawhg [http://www.hanakogames.com/about.shtml] has equal men and women.

Girls Make Games [http://girlsmakegames.com/about.html] is a series of international summer camps, workshops, and game jams for girls held by LearnDistrict, an independent studio in San Jose, California. Proceeds from the Humble Weekly Bundle Leading Ladies goes to the developers of the games, Humble Bundle, and Girls Make Games' scholarship fund. Customers can adjust how much of their purchase goes to whom.

According to Girls Make Games, women only make up 12% of the game industry. The summer camps, workshops, and game jams have the goal of teaching and encouraging girls to make their own games.

Source: Humble Bundle [https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly]

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Impossible. We keep hearing there are no female protagonists, to the point where Jim had to grab a dinosaur from Primal Rage as the only example of a good female protagonist. There for this bundle, and the hundreds of games on steam, don't exist.

I'm questioning the timing on this. Is it purposeful or really really coincidental?

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
Hmmm, I thought the Escapist was against publishing information that helps females get into the game industry. I guess that is only the case when they are following the blacklist made by those who fill their pockets?

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Long Live the Queen is a great game, though the principal game mechanic is to try (and inevitably fail) to keep an unprepared teenage Queen alive from a variety of assassins and dangers. It's also heavily stat based and quite complex, so it's not exactly an action-adventure romp.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
"Long Live the Queen" is worth the price alone.

It's like Dark Souls, for visual novels.

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Tanis said:

That is the best comparison I have ever seen. Also the most apt comparison I've seen.

It's a surprisingly challenging game, and it's a lot of fun to make your character in wildly different ways. (And not gonna lie, the outfits are rad.)

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Ukomba said:
Jim had to grab a dinosaur from Primal Rage as the only example of a good female protagonist.
Either you didn't understand the purpose of the video or you are willfully misrepresenting it. Vertigo isn't the only good female protagonist. The purpose of the video was pointing out that Vertigo was one of the few female protagonists who didn't fall under a certain category like all of the rest. Like comparing Nathan Drake (an attractive Male lead) to Wario (a unique and strange character). It's just that Females have a lot more Nathan Drakes and a lot less Warios.

I'm simplifying this a lot so I encourage people to check out the video themselves.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8177-Vertigo

Anyway with that being said...

I'm not sure what to think about this campaign. It's nice to open up the doors and make more people feel included. I'm sure that at least part of the reason why there are less women in gaming and game development is because of it becoming something of a male space. But I'm just not sure how many girls who didn't have a previous interest in game design would suddenly hop on the ball and be convinced otherwise. I would think that most women who wanted to become game designers did it despite some of the adversity. I'm interested in what kind of impact this could have on the industry in even 10 years time.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ukomba said:
Impossible. We keep hearing there are no female protagonists, to the point where Jim had to grab a dinosaur from Primal Rage as the only example of a good female protagonist.
You got it wrong. He said a good female anti-hero protagonist.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I have a dilemma. I want to support this package and charity, but don't want any of those games nor do I want to make a truly charitable donation (i.e. without free stuff attached to it). Is there a way to donate the money to this charity and get different games from Humble Bundle?

heh.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
CaitSeith said:
Ukomba said:
Impossible. We keep hearing there are no female protagonists, to the point where Jim had to grab a dinosaur from Primal Rage as the only example of a good female protagonist.
Who also wasn't conventionally attractive, and who's motivation wasn't tied to a man.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
2xDouble said:
I have a dilemma. I want to support this package and charity, but don't want any of those games nor do I want to make a truly charitable donation (i.e. without free stuff attached to it). Is there a way to donate the money to this charity and get different games from Humble Bundle?

heh.
You could always just wait a week or two for them to put up another Humble deal.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Tanis said:

That's... that's an apt comparison. Wow, I've never thought of it that way, but it makes so much sense. Brilliant!

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
Tanis said:

I'd say The Cat Lady is definitely worth it too.

The Cat Lady is a horror adventure game.The story involves a 40 year old woman named Susan Ashworth who had recently committed suicide, but got tasked by a old woman who calls herself The Queen of Maggots to kill five psychos or "Parasites." In return, Susan gets the happiness she desires. So she is granted immortality and a second chance in the living world to seek and kill the Parasites.The game does a great job going into topics such as depression and suicide as well as moving away from the traditional horror of a bunch of jump scares (even though the game does have some cheap jump scares). I would definitely recommend it, especially if you're in to playing badass well characterized women, and you enjoy dark, creepy, gorey games with a humor and heart to them.
Windknight said:
CaitSeith said:
Ukomba said:
Who also wasn't conventionally attractive, and who's motivation wasn't tied to a man.
I'd also say the main character of Cat Lady fits this nicely, given that she is 40 years old and isn't really interested in people at all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ukomba said:
I think you may have streamlined what Jim said.

Let's look for a playable woman protagonist in a videogame that doesn't rely on the same pool of restrictive stereotypes as every other playable woman protagonist.

To do this, let's look at a fighting game from 1994. That one about the dinosaurs. Yes, that one. Because I damn well sure can't find many better example. Folks, be prepared ... to RAGE.
BigTuk said:
When they complain about the lack of female protagonists, they mean the lack of high-profile female protagonists...
Or, you know, he meant what he actually said.

erttheking said:
You could always just wait a week or two for them to put up another Humble deal.
It won't be the same charities, though.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
roseofbattle said:
Tanis said:

That is the best comparison I have ever seen. Also the most apt comparison I've seen.

It's a surprisingly challenging game, and it's a lot of fun to make your character in wildly different ways. (And not gonna lie, the outfits are rad.)
I...it took me three hours and four tries from the beginning to beat it with no guide.. I mean there were two other minds at work but they gave me pretty useless advice.

It's unfortunate that the games on the bundle have no interest to me. I want to support this, but I don't want these games..
..come to think of it I don't want many games these last couple years, fuckin' game burnout. I don't have anything else to do or an idea how to fix it T.T

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I just checked the page out and it appears that you get Valdis Story for paying $10 or more. That is an amazing deal, especially considering everything else you get. Valdis Story is a beautiful looking (and pretty good playing) Metroidvania that has a deeper combat system than most. Oh, and the music is absolutely breathtaking. VS is easily worth $10 alone.