Windows 8 Users Can Upgrade to Windows 9 For Free - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Windows 8 Users Can Upgrade to Windows 9 For Free - Update

President of Microsoft Indonesia Andreas Diantoro has confirmed that Windows 8 users will get Windows 9 free-of-charge.

Update: A spokesperson for Microsoft America has told us that the company "has nothing to share," regarding this report, so it may not be as "confirmed" as the Indonesian site claims.

Original Story: If you're thinking it hasn't been that long since Windows 8 launched, you'd be right. Released just two years ago, in October of 2012, Windows 8 was plagued with problems and criticsm right from the get-go - so much so that Microsoft is desperately trying to distance itself from it by getting Windows 9 out there as soon as possible [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131244-Report-Windows-9-Being-Prepped-For-April-2015-Launch]. But what about those dedicated Microsoft early-adopters who made the switch to 8? Well, Microsoft Indonesia president Andreas Diantoro has confirmed that as a reward for their loyalty, Windows 8 users will be able to upgrade to Windows 9 completely free-of-charge.

Speaking to Indonesian publication no-longer-supported Windows XP [http://inet.detik.com/read/2014/09/25/182535/2701450/317/ceo-microsoft-windows-9-gratis-asalkan?k=ecym&p=ct], will be able to upgrade digitally.

Diantoro also didn't make it clear if the free upgrade would extend to Windows 7 users, but we can probably assume it won't. He also didn't announce any pricing options for a stand-alone Windows 9 version.

Microsoft is rumored to be revealing the OS this month, and leaks have suggested it will feature the return of the Start menu, the Cortana voice-based search assistant that's currently available only on Windows Phone, the Notification Center, support for multiple desktops, and several other UI enhancements.

We've reached out to Microsoft of America for confirmation that this deal will extend to those in North America.

Source: BGR [http://inet.detik.com/read/2014/09/25/182535/2701450/317/ceo-microsoft-windows-9-gratis-asalkan?k=ecym&p=ct]

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
But I like the metro start menu. Hopefully it's still an option for desktops or they at least make the old start menu less shit. Being able to pin everything in place and quickly open shortcuts via muscle memory beats out a great big list any day.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Who wants to bet Minecraft will come installed with it just like minesweeper and solitaire?

Also, I hope for their sake that isn't actually going to be it's logo.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
oh god this better be true for the US because when I bought 8 I expected it to last the entire life of my laptop(2-4 years and its only 1 year old now)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
iblis666 said:
oh god this better be true for the US because when I bought 8 I expected it to last the entire life of my laptop(2-4 years and its only 1 year old now)
Even if they don't give you a free upgrade to 9 Windows 8 will still be supported for a few years atleast so you will get the life out of your OS. Whats more likely is that "Windows 9" is really Windows 8.2 renamed to get away from the bad press of 8 and given a face lift responding to feedback from the public. All they really need to do is give people options for how they want their desktop to operate.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
iblis666 said:
As RicoADF said it will last the lifetime of your Laptop, Microsoft only just recently stopped supporting Windows XP. They did extend it because of the reception of Windows Vista, but Windows 8 is currently scheduled to have extended support until 2023.

Here is the Microsoft link with their lifecycle information

Link [http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I wonder if the "odd-numbered windows rule" is an official Microsoft marketing strategy at this point. I mean, they have to be hoping Windows 7 users buy 9 based on that history.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
xXSnowyXx said:
But I like the metro start menu. Hopefully it's still an option for desktops or they at least make the old start menu less shit. Being able to pin everything in place and quickly open shortcuts via muscle memory beats out a great big list any day.
Yeah, I have to agree. Although the Start Screen shares faults with the Start Menu (mainly in making it a PITA to find your newly-installed programs), I love the way I can put all my commonly-used programs on it, plus get my news and email sent to the Live tiles.

Hopefully there will be a manual override option for the desktop users that want to keep the Start Screen, but if not, it's no huge thing. I used the Start Menu for fifteen or twenty years. It won't be that tough to go back to it.

OT: Hope this news turns out to be true. Even though I'll probably snag a stand-alone copy at some point, updating my current systems for free would be a sweet deal.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Hmmmm, interesting dilemma for me now; Do I upgrade when 9 comes out, or do what I normally do and Stick with what's already installed (In this case, 8)?

Thanks Microsoft, but I think I'll stick with 8. At least for now. My laptop runs perfectly on 8 and I don't wanna risk ruining my computer by Upgrading it. Plus, we don't know if 9 will run smoothly when first released. I don't like taking chances.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Redlin5 said:
I wonder if the "odd-numbered windows rule" is an official Microsoft marketing strategy at this point. I mean, they have to be hoping Windows 7 users buy 9 based on that history.
Didn't Microsoft offer a similar service for upgrading from Vista to 7? Or was that just at a reduced price?
Either way, it kinda flows well with that rule. "Buy our experimental OS and you'll get the following stable release for free".

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'm still looking to upgrade to windows 7 from XP, wouldn't touch 8 because I don't believe the user should have to manually fix something like removing that interface designed for tablets. I hope 9 is just a more resource efficient 7.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah... the only way to make me upgrade from Win 7 is prying it from my dead, cold hands.

Or you know, make a good incentive to do so, like 7 from XP :p

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Thanks Microsoft, but I think I'll stick with 8. At least for now. My laptop runs perfectly on 8 and I don't wanna risk ruining my computer by Upgrading it. Plus, we don't know if 9 will run smoothly when first released. I don't like taking chances.
It is an unspoken rule that most non-disc software does not work properly on launch. Expectations are pointless to rely on, too, as you can get software at any time within several years. Windows 9 might be great, once the bugs are patched.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
their just gonna kill compatibility with my old games even more, i don't want it.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
RicoADF said:
iblis666 said:
Even if they don't give you a free upgrade to 9 Windows 8 will still be supported for a few years atleast so you will get the life out of your OS. Whats more likely is that "Windows 9" is really Windows 8.2 renamed to get away from the bad press of 8 and given a face lift responding to feedback from the public. All they really need to do is give people options for how they want their desktop to operate.
Sanunes said:
iblis666 said:
As RicoADF said it will last the lifetime of your Laptop, Microsoft only just recently stopped supporting Windows XP. They did extend it because of the reception of Windows Vista, but Windows 8 is currently scheduled to have extended support until 2023.

Here is the Microsoft link with their lifecycle information

Link [http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle]
yes but you see I want the newest operating system

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
sturryz said:
their just gonna kill compatibility with my old games even more, i don't want it.
My computer is "dual boot" with XP and Vista for much this reason. If you have the hard drive space to spare, it's not too difficult to set up. A little time-down menu runs when you boot, asking which OS you wish to boot to.

...Of course, that was before games started to show up not working for Vista 64. I'm really hoping Windows 9 is worth a damn... And contemplating picking up an OEM Windows 7, just in case.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
iblis666 said:
yes but you see I want the newest operating system
Why? Newest does not mean best or even more advanced. For quite awhile Windows XP was the best OS to use even for gaming as they ran better on it than Vista, then 7 took the throne and even with 8 out your still better off with 7 (I have both OS's and 7 runs better, has less headachs and in general is a better OS). Just because 9 is released does not guarentee an improvement, if anything I would argue 7 is the pinnicle of Windows (atleast for now) and as such there's nothing another version can do to improve it until a major change in the hardware field (which has mostly plateaued since their hitting the ceiling of what can be realistically done.

Callate said:
...Of course, that was before games started to show up not working for Vista 64. I'm really hoping Windows 9 is worth a damn... And contemplating picking up an OEM Windows 7, just in case.
I'd recommend grabbing a copy just incase, I'm considering grabbing a Windows 7 Pro OEM myself.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Thank fuck!

I got a shiny new laptop this summer and my only complaint about it is how much I HATE Windows 8. I loved Windows 7 - greatest thing since XP - I loved every feature (and could turn off those I didn't) and then Windows 8 came along and STOLE MY GODSDAMNED START MENU!!!

Gone were the little check boxes that let me easily choose what to select in a folder.

Gone was the ability to quickly go to often used folders.

Gone was the ability to stop Windows FUCKING Update from running (Windows 8 says it's off, but it isn't really off).

**seethes in hatred of Windows 8**

I hope they bring it all back, or at least the option to select features, or something that isn't this steaming pile of tablet shit.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
frizzlebyte said:
xXSnowyXx said:
Yeah, I have to agree. Although the Start Screen shares faults with the Start Menu (mainly in making it a PITA to find your newly-installed programs), I love the way I can put all my commonly-used programs on it, plus get my news and email sent to the Live tiles.

Hopefully there will be a manual override option for the desktop users that want to keep the Start Screen, but if not, it's no huge thing. I used the Start Menu for fifteen or twenty years. It won't be that tough to go back to it.

OT: Hope this news turns out to be true. Even though I'll probably snag a stand-alone copy at some point, updating my current systems for free would be a sweet deal.
I really think you two are in the minority. I hate it so much that I prefer just going through the folders one at the time to find what I need. I've also manually erased every tile because their existence offended my sensibilities.

Anyhow, my biggest gripe with 8 was the permissions lock. It is so annoying that you are working as Admin and have to figure out how to bypass extra locks to make changes to things as simple as the Program Files directory. Literally, to mod games you have to fight the system. Now I know how to do it so it's easy, but I was so upset by that change and the presumption that I'm an idiot who can't take care of my own computer.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Microsoft not being a money grabbing whore? I'm astonished. This really is a good development. But I guess Windows 8 users deserve this for all of their suffering.