Visceral Confident Battlefield Hardline Launch Won't Repeat Battlefield 4

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011

After a painful, bug-ridden launch to Battlefield 4, Visceral Games is confident Hardline's launch will have no major problems.

Battlefield: Hardline developer Visceral Games does not want a repeat of Battlefield 4. While Visceral Games still expects hiccups during launch, it is confident the game will work.

Speaking with Game Revolution [http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/battlefield-hardline-will-work-at-launch-says-visceral-28643], Visceral Games creative director Ian Milham said, "What you're basically asking is, 'Is your game going to work?' And the answer is yes, it's gonna work."

"unacceptable." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130916-Battlefield-4-Experiencing-Multiplatform-Connectivity-Issues]

DICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson said in June that the failures of Battlefield 4 triggered a new development process for Hardline. Fixes to Battlefield 4 were immediately taken into consideration for Hardline

Battlefield: Hardline will launch on five platforms, so Visceral Games knows something will mess up, but Milham is confident there will be no major problems. Hardline has been running at trade shows without crashing, he pointed out.

"We actually started on this more than a year before Battlefield 4 came out," Milham said. "We've been working with the DICE guys for a long time; some of our engineering work is actually in Battlefield 4 and things they've been doing since then. It's in pretty great shape now and all that work is gonna come into what we're doing.

"We take shipping a working game pretty seriously."

Battlefield: Hardline will launch in early 2015 on PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC.

Source: Game Revolution [http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/battlefield-hardline-will-work-at-launch-says-visceral-28643]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Battlefield 4 was a bloody mess. Bad Company 2 had bugs and issues, Battlefield 3 was worse and had major balance problems, 4 had all this and more, along with some piss poor map designs and utterly atrocious bugs.

Hardline better be bloody imaculate on launch, though I suspect the damage has been done to the series.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
(...)While Visceral Games still expects hiccups during launch(...)
Oh, is that what they're calling them now?

"I'm sure it's only a glitch..." :D

I don't understand how a group of people with dignity and respect for the medium can bring themselves to release something they've spent years of their life on in such a state and leave it to wither like the husk of a dead woodchuck under the porch.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I don't even feel like buying a battlefield game from dice anymore, why the fuck would I buy one from someone else? However confident visceral is, we'll see how confident gamers are with launch day sales numbers.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
SecondPrize said:
I don't even feel like buying a battlefield game from dice anymore, why the fuck would I buy one from someone else? However confident visceral is, we'll see how confident gamers are with launch day sales numbers.
They're literally both subsidiaries of EA. EA shuffles employees around all their studios quite often, it shouldn't make a difference whether they launch this with a DICE or Visceral or even if they slap a Bioware logo onto this game. It's pretty much the same people.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The White Hunter said:
While Visceral Games still expects hiccups during launch, it is confident the game will work.
Uhm... Duh???? Why is that news?

The White Hunter said:
Since it will decide the futures of all who worked on it, they'd bloody better!
Another big duh.... SIGH!!!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
The White Hunter said:
While Visceral Games still expects hiccups during launch, it is confident the game will work.
Uhm... Duh???? Why is that news?

The White Hunter said:
Since it will decide the futures of all who worked on it, they'd bloody better!
Another big duh.... SIGH!!!
So... um...

Why did you quote me with content from the OP of the article?

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
If the Hardline beta didn't have the EXACT same issues that Battlefeield 4 had, I might believe them. But if it took DICE 8 months after the release of Battlefield 4 to fix half the bugs and other issues, there's no way Visceral will be able to fix Hardline while still developing it. I will trust nothing that is made on Frostbite 3 until a game actually comes out on it with no problems.

The shittiest thing about internet being widely available, is that game companies have really accepted the whole "Whatevs, we'll fix it after launch. If we remember. Don't forget to finish the paid DLC before we fix anything, though".

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Well I loved bad company 2 and battlefield 3 was just amazing ammounts of fun to play with my friends and I tried the beta for 4 and after about 2 matches I realized I was essentially playing call of duty which is not good because I'm terrible at call of duty and battlefield was supposed to be a little more tactical.

But then there were all the bugs crashes and generally terrible design choices so I'm glad I tried the beta and realized the company that made bad company and battlefield 3 is probably dead or that they were using the game to cry out for help. Either way I've got no reason to bother buying 4 or this cops and robbers dlc cash grab.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan...unless you're Visceral, then you plan to mitigate failure and call that a success.

Why did they delay the initial release date again?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Hardline better be bloody imaculate on launch, though I suspect the damage has been done to the series.
No BF3 holds that honour for me. The shift to client side Hit Detection took poor but predictable hit detection found in BF2 and BFBC2 and turned every single encounter in to a pot luck of who happened to have the best ping to you. Then it turns out that BF4 some how managed to have even worse Hit Detection issues and now you have Hardline a game built on the same underpinnings as the last two combined with a setting (Criminal vs Police) that has zero appeal to me, no sorry another year another BF game that I won;t be buying.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Battlefield 4 is still fundamentally broken and since BF:HL is just the same game reskinned I highly doubt it will be bug free

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Unfortunately for Viceral the sales aren't related to their confidence in their new game, but their customers confidence in it, and as far as I can see, EA dun screwed the pooch with Battlefield 4.

They claimed it didn't hurt the brand, but I think the sales of Hardline will prove the opposite, and EA will have another ruined franchise on their hands. Bravo.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Yeah you keep being confident Visceral, I'll continue to wait and see how bad the release is. If it really is bug free I may grab it (probably on sale) but not rolling the dice this time.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Yup, that's for sure, people went out and bought BF4.

Battlefield: Hardline will be the very first Battlefield game in almost thirteen years that I won't own on release day. Battlefield 4 has been terrible, the campaign was terrible by even Battlefield standards, it's maps are terrible, the expansions have been terrible. It's a lot of fun playing against mates still and the CTE updates at least prove their is hope for it (I am sincerely excited about the big CTE update and seeing how the game plays in a non-borked state), but a sequel should not be worse in every measurable way than it's predecessor.

The half built nature of 4 combined with the appearance of an annualised sequel has done the impossible, it's put me off buying a Battlefield game.

I can't help but feel Visceral is doomed, BF4's first year, Hardline being the one thing DICE openly said would destroy the franchise and it's flatout offensive theme coming along just when public opinion on armed police is at a complete low. It's just a perfect storm of things the public (and their game buying parents) don't want to know about. EA would have been better off making another Medal of Honor or calling Hardline an all new franchise than this.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Oh, it won't.

Because there won't be anywhere near as many players willing to shell out full price for this expansion pack.

HUEHUHEUHUEHUEHUEHUE

Gylukios

The Red Comet
Dec 3, 2008
I'm sure we can find an almost exact replica of this story and statement from DICE from about a year ago talking about how Battlefield 4's launch wouldn't have the same problems that Battlefield 3 had. Probably on this website too.

I guess the statement was correct though, BF4 did not have the same problems as Bf3, but different and worse problems from its initially beleaguered predecessor. Maybe I'll have to change to buying Battlefield games in the last 6 months of their lives, when they've had time for a few (dozen) fixes.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
The White Hunter said:
Why did you quote me with content from the OP of the article?
Sorry, must've been a technical glitch or I misclicked.
Whoopsie!
Tis aight.

I remember when they moved the quote button from the bottom of your post to the top a while back, I misquoted many a person.