Dragon Age: Inquisition Character Creator Will Eat Your Time

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Dragon Age: Inquisition Character Creator Will Eat Your Time

<youtube=Ales2ugEMOw>​
BioWare created two characters in Dragon Age: Inquisition, showing that characters can be as wacky or as battle-hardened as players like.

Dragon Age: Inquisition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dragon%20age%20inquisition] developer BioWare spent almost 30 minutes in a livestream yesterday showing off the character creator's many sliders and detailed customization. Each race has some different hair styles and customization separate from other races, and customization across male and female genders has similar options within races.

BioWare created two characters and made it clear just how much time players could spend on crafting their ideal Inquisitor. Starting with a male human, BioWare walked the audience through the basics of customization, starting with a number of default head shapes, then moving on to sliders for eye shapes and hair, and then moving into finetuning facial features. While making the male human Inquisitor, BioWare noted that the Adam's Apple customizer is also available for female Inquisitors.

BioWare's second Inquisitor for the stream was a female qunari. The qunari's skintones are quite different from humans, as well as elves and dwarves. Most qunari skintones come in shades of grey with cool undertones. The qunari creator also does not have a hair section; instead, players go through a slider menu for the horns, which also includes hair styles, so hair cannot be chosen separately from the horns. Horns come in a variety of twisty styles, asymmetrical styles, length, and some have no horns at all, like Sten from Dragon Age: Origins. Additionally, the qunari do not have a tattoo option. Instead, they can equip vitar, which are essentially war paints toxic to everyone other than qunari. The vitar act as headgear and look like facial tattoos.

Players can set scars (as well as their intensity and position) and makeup in their respective menus, as well as other features. However, full body tattoos and customization of body types are not available. BioWare said the reason for this was that bodies are mostly covered by armor, and it had to decide whether to differentiate body types by race or through sliders. Because the body type from one race to another is vastly different (comparing dwarves and qunari), customization within races is confined to the face.

After the character creation demo, BioWare took the audience through another gameplay demo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5WkV7uQG3o] of an area where the dwarves had built up to the surface.

Dragon Age Inquisition launches November 18 for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

Source: BioWare [http://www.twitch.tv/bioware]

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
I must have missed something along the way, but can we now make the main character more than just human then?

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
So it's still inferior to Dragon's Dogma's CC, darn. Oh well, I guess I can say goodbye to my dream of a slender Qunari warrior boning the macho mage fellow with the killer moustache.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
SerBrittanicus said:
I must have missed something along the way, but can we now make the main character more than just human then?
Yes. BioWare heard the complaints early and they listened. They threw in every race (except demons) to play as in the new game.

The more I hear about this game, the more excited I get. So sad that I have to wait an extra month, but it really looks like they are pulling everything together for this one. Can't wait.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
And then you put a helmet on and barley ever see the face you spent time making for most of the game.
potentially kidding aside
it is pretty nice feature.

edit- well at any rate it more customization then dragon origins had.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Hmm, would've liked some long hair or perhaps a ponytail for the female Qunari, they're all just short. Which I dislike.

Oh well.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
SerBrittanicus said:
Yep, there a bunch of classes too. Even stuff like being Tal Vasoth Saarebas, the zoom out tactical view for ordering your party is back too and they seem to address some of the main complaints about DA II. Each character has a different "origin" story but whether you get to play through out or it just gets dumped via exposition hasnt been revealed yet.

Despite everything I'm quietly optimistic about this after seeing all the gameplay videos, in RPG terms it looks good, gameplay looks good all thats left is to see how good the characters and story are which for me was the biggest let down last time. They have not said much but it appears a good chunk of that will be trying to hold your team together with all their varied and often conflicted interests and personalities, lets hope thats good too.

Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
And then you put a helmet on and barley ever see the face you spent time making for most of the game.
potentially kidding aside it is pretty nice feature.
There will probably be the optional "no headwear in cutscenes" mode every other Dragon Age game has.

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
They mentioned in the video that you could hide headgear. So you could get the states from the helmet, but still see that handsome face of yours.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
Have you seen some of the writing from what they have released? Jesus it's like they hired grade 6 students to do their writing for them. Especially the "bio" of Colin whatshisface from "the fade" Bad, bad, emo writing.

The more info/screenshots/video they have released, the more I don't want to play this. It could be the irrational hatred of EA speaking as well, or it's just turning out to be a shitty game.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
J Tyran said:
There will probably be the optional "no headwear in cutscenes" mode every other Dragon Age game has.
It's been so long since I played a dragon age game that I forgot that feature existed.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
J Tyran said:
It's been so long since I played a dragon age game that I forgot that feature existed.
Was a mod for the first game, didn't become official until the second

OT: Mehh, it really did nothing for me... I was really looking forward to this but now... mehh!

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Are they bringing back the original combat system? I don't care how good the character creation is if it's still BS hack and slash.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
neppakyo said:
Have you seen some of the writing from what they have released? Jesus it's like they hired grade 6 students to do their writing for them. Especially the "bio" of Colin whatshisface from "the fade" Bad, bad, emo writing.
I just read the book that introduces Cole and I can't blame anyone for seeing him as nothing but an emo character. His story is pretty intriguing, especially how it was told in the book, but it's really hard to package him in a few lines that don't give anything away and don't make him sound lame. Honestly, he's close to being just a bad character, so I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out as such in the final game. I hope he turns out well, though, because it made for some fantastic story-telling tricks.

Nurb said:
Are they bringing back the original combat system? I don't care how good the character creation is if it's still BS hack and slash.
They're going for a blend that allows people to choose between a DA:O style and DA2 style. Still, it looks like the DA2 style was toned down to make it a little more reasonable and have some weight.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Damn it. I'm a huge customisation nut. I usually spend ages tweaking my character. For the Elder Scrolls Online Beta, I spent about half an hour fixing my character. Hell, I spent about 15 minutes in Destiny's character creator trying to be happy with my character and that is really limited.
I might never start DAIII.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
>double chins
excellent, now I can save Thedas from the impending threat of the Fade with Inquisitor Egoraptor