How EverQuest Landmark Is Really a Subsidized Endeavor

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
How EverQuest Landmark Is Really a Subsidized Endeavor

EverQuest Creative Director Dave Georgeson talk about how the Founder?s Packs for EverQuest Landmark help ease the pressure.

Read Full Article

gabycms

Sep 1, 2011
Cool interview.

It kind of echoes what Chris Roberts (Star Citizen) was saying in his latest "Letter from the Chairman" that he does for every funding milestone reached. About how funding from the community during development, along with community feedback completely changes the way game development works.

One of his more interesting posts, I recommend it to anyone that is interested in the perspective.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Agreed Gaby, it really is interesting so see how this will change the process for mid-tier game companies - see Wasteland 2, Path of Exile, etc.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
I will issue a cautionary statement in regards to Wasteland 2.. The second part of the game was left in an unfinished alphastate, it's painfully showing sadly q_q. More buggy than Knights of the Old Republic 2.

I however got more than 100 hours out of the first half alone, so the game is more than worth the price for that.

Velventian

Left here for the world to see
May 17, 2013
I have to say for me Landmark was an emotional roller-coaster so far, bought the trailblazer pack right from the start.
For the next 2 weeks i was basically non existent for the outside world.
But once i head my obsidian walled, marble Fortress there was just nothing left to do in the game.
Sadly they are pretty far behind on their schedule and implement most things in a very fractured manor.
Haven´t played it again since before they implement water.

I love the game but they started to early with the alpha.
And one thing that just kept bugging me is that they seemed to focus on the whole Market and social media aspects rather on delivering more content.
I get that making a game of that scale costs a ton of money, especially considering they are using a rather uncommon technology for it.
But i paid 90 bucks for that thing and so did a lot of other people.

Of course for anyone joining in now the game will just outright blow their mind...
The kind of sculptures, statues, castles, cave systems etc. people built there are in some cases just jaw dropping.

One really cool aspect is how much of a neighborhood the game is, you can run around and check everything out.
You can´t steal stuff so about 95% of people will just let you look around their house, use their forges and be generally friendly.
This has created a pretty pleasant in game community.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm getting more annoyed as they don't show or announce other races beyond human to play as.

Where are the

01 Arasai
02 Dark Elves / Half Elves / High Elves / Wood Elves
03 Dwarves
04 Fae
05 Frogloks
06 Gnomes
07 Halflings
08 Iksars
09 Ogres
10 Ratonga
11 Samak
12 Trolls
13 Vah Shir / Kerra

And yeah, I didn't list all of the races because some were too human.

I was excited for EQN, but now it looks like they're avoiding EQ1&2 Races for a better looking Minecraft Clone.

Velventian

May 17, 2013
RatGouf said:
I'm getting more annoyed as they don't show or announce other races beyond human to play as.

Where are the

01 Arasai
02 Dark Elves / Half Elves / High Elves / Wood Elves
03 Dwarves
04 Fae
05 Frogloks
06 Gnomes
07 Halflings
08 Iksars
09 Ogres
10 Ratonga
11 Samak
12 Trolls
13 Vah Shir / Kerra

And yeah, I didn't list all of the races because some were too human.

I was excited for EQN, but now it looks like they're avoiding EQ1&2 Races for a better looking Minecraft Clone.
Actually i think they are just saving them for Everquest Next itself.
The devs kinda admitted that Landmark is pretty much just a paid level editor for Next, which isn´t necessarily a problem, they were pretty much up front about it and if people are willing to pay then cool.
But that also means we won´t see many rpg elements in it until the refocus on making NEXT.
Sony has stuck with the everquest universe so far and its beloved by many many people, while some races might be missing at the start i´m pretty sure we´ll see them all again eventually.
What i am still wondering is if and how they will connect Landmark to Next.
Landmark was kinda sprung from the idea of making player housing in MMOs minecraft-style, hence the claim focus.
And for me that just sounds all sorts of awesome.
Just imagine a Guild Palace spanning some 20 odd claims built by 50 people...i drooled a little.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'll never trust games like this because they're such a grindfest to encourage purchasing resources... like dirt.

Velventian

May 17, 2013
Nurb said:
I'll never trust games like this because they're such a grindfest to encourage purchasing resources... like dirt.
Yeah i get they want to use micro transactions instead of a monthly subscription but honestly i don´t get it and i don´t like it.
Why do people seem to bother so much with subscription?
10$ a months for theoretically unlimited play time, thats pretty much the best bargain there is.
And making basic resources purchasable can really break the game at the start.
A lot of the progression in landmark comes from the upgrading of your tool like pickaxes.
Thats pretty much the only aspect in the game that encourages exploration and if people can just buy the stuff it doesn´t work.
Sure its up to everyone if they want to buy materials but we all should know if the option is there it will always be nagging in the back of our head when we get frustrated with gathering a rare material.
Its the same when you play a game and know the cheats for it, every time things get tough you think about just cheating again and afterwards the fun is just gone.