D&D Hoard of the Dragon Queen Review - The Cracks Begin to Show

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
D&D Hoard of the Dragon Queen Review - The Cracks Begin to Show

A rollicking high fantasy adventure with some rough edges that show flaws in the 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons system.

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
I'm always looking for stuff to cannibalize. It's a shame that they didn't take the same tack as the Murder in Baldur's Gate module (their last big one, I think) and make it system-neutral with the ability to download specific stats and whatnot for each edition. Still, as it is meant to launch 5e I can't blame them overmuch for the choice.

I'm curious, though, what parts of 5e are starting to crack? Unless I'm greatly misreading it, the only time the mechanics are brought up is in the second page, when you mention the lethality as a strong point. A slow middle and NPC problems are not reflective of the faults of the system itself.
Is it the traveling in the middle that shows flaws in the exploration system? Do PCs fall out of line with one another, with a quadratic wizards problem in later encounters?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I'm curious, though, what parts of 5e are starting to crack? Unless I'm greatly misreading it, the only time the mechanics are brought up is in the second page, when you mention the lethality as a strong point. A slow middle and NPC problems are not reflective of the faults of the system itself.
Is it the traveling in the middle that shows flaws in the exploration system? Do PCs fall out of line with one another, with a quadratic wizards problem in later encounters?
I'm specifically referring to the Module's clear inability to be in sync with a system that's simply not finished, as well as the lack of clear guidelines for making encounter's difficult - so the authors have to rely on situations that simply aren't resolved by fighting.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Not sure if this was included in the review. I missed it if it was. List price is $29.95, but street price is around $22. As I write this, Amazon has it listed for $21.65.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I've only run one actual session of it, which went well, but its a little early for me to say much. I have read through it and really like what I've seen, though. I'm a little sad that the traveling bits end up being so dull because I was looking forward to them. It seemed like they were trying to emphasize the "journey" part of quests that many storylines skip over.

Still, having ran a few of the early 4e modules, which were nothing more than big dungeon crawls, I'm excited to get further into this one.