Lobo #1 Review: DC Misses The Mark And The Point

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Lobo #1 Review: DC Misses The Mark And The Point

For better and for worse, DC is fully committed to the reboot/retcon of the Main Man. They may have fragged up the classic character but good.

Read Full Article

vid87

May 17, 2010
First off, the Czarnian planet was fragged by Lobo (1.0?)'s high school science project, at least according to the animated series which is the best way a planet has ever been destroyed as far as I'm concerned.

Second, if there's ever another DC/Marvel crossover, this version absolutely needs to meet Deadpool:

"Dude, what happened to you? You were fantastic, the friggin' Main Man! Now it's all "brood this" and "I Am The Night that." You've got your head so far up your ass you're choking on your stomach!"

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Ugh... I can't imagine a single Lobo fan approving of this change. Fuck you, DC. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
vid87 said:
First off, the Czarnian planet was fragged by Lobo (1.0?)'s high school science project, at least according to the animated series which is the best way a planet has ever been destroyed as far as I'm concerned.

Second, if there's ever another DC/Marvel crossover, this version absolutely needs to meet Deadpool:

"Dude, what happened to you? You were fantastic, the friggin' Main Man! Now it's all "brood this" and "I Am The Night that." You've got your head so far up your ass you're choking on your stomach!"
I read that in Ryan Reynolds's voice and it made me smile.

OT: So... he's Sasuke Uchiha inhabiting a body cross between Edward Cullen and The Crow?

Yeah... get me as far away from that as the law allows. Law of the state, country, physics, I don't care.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
The problem with the so called fake Lobo dying is that the 1990s retcon of Lobo was already killed by Loo, went to heaven, went to hell, went to heaven again, & during that time was resurrected more than once. Then He finally defeated Loo after finally being properly resurrected.

Oh Well.... At least I have my pre 52 Lobo Collection.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
RatGouf said:
The problem with the so called fake Lobo dying is that the 1990s retcon of Lobo was already killed by Loo, went to heaven, went to hell, went to heaven again, & during that time was resurrected more than once. Then He finally defeated Loo after finally being properly resurrected.

Oh Well.... At least I have my pre 52 Lobo Collection.
I still think this is the reason, "Faux-Bo" will return and kick this Lobo's butt shortly.

I haven't read the new one but unless the experiences of the Lobo we all know and love were all lies, I'm pretty sure you'd need more than one issue to kill him and have it stick.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
vid87 said:
Oh that's cannon. According to his first self titled miniseries he basically bioengineered these horrific insects which burrowed into all but him and one other Czarnian (who was offworld at the time) and caused terrible lethal boils while laying eggs in them. The general idea was that he lived on a planet that was the perfect utopia and He was all the karmic evil they had racked up piled into one twisted little child.

I also think he was born WITH that meathook.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
The best thing I can say about new Lobo is that he isn't as irritating as when he first showed up. If this wasn't Lobo then the book would be okay and I'd be more forgiving as I'd be more curious as to where it's going, hoping it builds up. As it is, I'm really hoping Lobo Classic shows up and takes his book back.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I really don't like being "that guy". The nerd who seems averse to change or new ideas. And I really don't think I am in most cases. I usually like big continuity shake-ups that rock you out of your comfort zone. I like lady Thor, I liked the Spider-Gwen one off last month.

Here with this Lobo however, I can't help but feel a little insulted. I mean a reboot that tries something new is one thing. But having this new version that looks more like an anime reject than anything resembling the Lobo fans have loved for years and then proceeding to battle and kill the old version, I can't help but feel a little put off by the whole thing.

But maybe that's the point? Maybe sales have never been as good as the fans would assume? I don't know. I just know I'll never think of this new creation as Lobo. I feel bad for not giving it an honest chance, but I just don't want to.

I don't love Lobo enough to stay with him through something like this. I stuck with Spider-Man through One More Day, I stuck with Batman through all of his misadventures, I even stuck with Punisher when they started making him hunt ghosts (although admittedly not for long, but I gave it a shot). But not this one. Lobo without silliness and over-the-top shenanigans just doesn't work for me. Not even a little.

But hey, way to stick to the "No Jokes" rule DC. Hope it works out for you.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
What the Hell DC?! Must you change everything we know and love!? Don't get me wrong, I'm not averse to change... but the way they're going about it rubs me the wrong way. Especially since, as the article points out, we could have had a parody of the concept, but no, what we get is some pretty boy calling himself Lobo. Screw that! I want the old, rough and tumble Lobo back!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow... Lobo was literally a perfect character and few hit home like Lobo and what Lobo was about. I agree, they fucked it up big time. It was horrendous the second I saw the "new Lobo" design that I knew they were gonna mess this up. I'm all for a modernized version of a character with a modern aesthetic, but turning him into that... just stupid.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Didn't Marvel publish this character a few years back as part of the Anihilation Conquest Story? I think they called him Wraith, but I would swear they are the same. Dull and brooding. BLEAH! I never thought I would say this, but I miss over the top 80's Lobo.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Yeah, it seems DC's mantle of 'only funny character' has passed now, from Booster Gold to Lobo now Harley Quinn aka Deadpool with boobs and a psychology degree gets to be funny. Sriusly though, that series with Harley is selling crazy well last I saw, do they actually think it's JUST because she has a new skanky costume?

Aug 12, 2013
CaptainMarvelous said:
Yeah, it seems DC's mantle of 'only funny character' has passed now, from Booster Gold to Lobo now Harley Quinn aka Deadpool with boobs and a psychology degree gets to be funny. Sriusly though, that series with Harley is selling crazy well last I saw, do they actually think it's JUST because she has a new skanky costume?

Harley Quinn is the only bright spot in the NEW 52. I mean they did almost an single issue where she debuts her way of cleaning the cat and dog poo out of her apartment building by building a cataplut that flings giant bags of dog and cat poo all over NYC including at DC's NYC offices where DiBio is talking about his next "brilliant" idea about the DCU was the funniest things I've in a comic not written by Peter David and James Roberts (of The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye and if you're not reading that series you are missing out on one the best comics out there I put in the same league as Saga, East of West, Rat Queens, Sex, and everything else Image puts out that is great at the moment).

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Only really familiar with him from his TV appearances (Superman and Justice League) and I always found him rather funny.

I don't see the appeal of making him a broody anti-hero, when he's always been a parody of an old hero archetype. It seems just as counterproductive as making Deadpool sane. Then again, they kind of tried that already... and the world was not impressed.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
DC, please, for the love of God, get the memo. Brooding and dark isn't fun because it's brooding and dark, it's because it sets up the atmosphere and lets us see the world through a character's perspective. Brood for a moment and then go do something else with the character.

Lobo, pre-52, was a riot, a parody of the undercurrent of ubermacho insecurity that ran through comics in the 90s because he really was ubermacho, completely secure in that fact, and an unabashed dick, but an incredibly hilarious one. Whether or not it's enough to carry a comic on its own is up for grabs, but it means he's a good supplemental or comic relief character and, as the Superman cartoon showed us, a great foil for actual heroic characters.

If they really want to keep this 52-Lobo, they should ideally make him a parody of grim, brooding pretty-boys just to mock the prevalence of that trend in media.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/1905
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/fun-fact-my-boyfriend-and-i-have-both-dressed-up-like-lobo-for-different-halloween-parties-before-we-were-dating
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/black-and-white-lobo-month-continues

You're welcome.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
The Brazilians are gonna have a fit.

Fauxbo sucks
Saika Renegade said:
If they really want to keep this 52-Lobo, they should ideally make him a parody of grim, brooding pretty-boys just to mock the prevalence of that trend in media.
well considering the original Lobo's first incarnation to what he became? It's possible they can just shift the tone drastically.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I didn't even know Lobo as anything more than a crazy awesome side character that appeared whenever the writers felt like writing a nutty story, I didn't even know he had a comic book until now, and I still find myself VERY disappointed by this move DC is making. I get the same feeling here I got with the "Superior" Spider-Man run, a cheap attempt to boost sales for a short while through pissing off all the fans by systematically destroying everything fans ever liked about the character bit by bit before they go back and undo everything anyway.