My First Assassination - Hands on with Assassin's Creed: Unity

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
My First Assassination - Hands on with Assassin's Creed: Unity

Never played an Assassin?s Creed game? AC: Unity may actually be a good place to start.

Read Full Article

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Jayngfet said:
Like the difference between knives and swords, or what fast walk is supposed to accomplish, or the difference between ladders and freerunning. Any player who jumps in after the first game doesn't really have a clear idea of what those things DO.
...are any of those things that require explanation? Not only do swords and knives have different weapon stats to show the difference, basic common sense provides as much as we need; shorter and lighter weapons are faster but less damaging, for instance, when swung.

As for ladders and freerunning, common sense comes to our aid again. Something designed for climbing is likely going to better for the task than something which is not, like a random bit of wall. As with the above, this is born out very simply through gameplay, and players will learn it the first time they run towards a wall. Same with fast walking and attracting less attention than high profile sprinting.

If this is the kind of thing players need a tutorial for, what's next? How to turn the console on?

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I hope this emphasis on "speed and trickery" is actually a thing. One of the things that bothers me about AC is how as they went on it became less about assassinating people and more about killing everything in sight. The combat in the first game is still my favourite.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
This article reads like a plea for help. Specifically 'Help! I don't like this game, but they paid for me to parrot the preview talking points from the conventions and hype engine!'

Seriously, we've been promised richer combat and a greater emphasis on stealth with every single new iteration of AC. They finally added more stealth in AC4, and everyone hated it.

Before anyone decides to label me a hater, it's more familiarity-breeds-caution. I own each AC game (except for any on the IPad or the DS), and I remember what the hype engine was like before 3 was released. ACU has the same stink.

I play video games to feel empowered. When the previews are busy telling me how cool it is to be a talentless choad in the new game that can't get anything done unless he's wearing the right knee-high boots, and that other players will be able to screw me out of game progress by being tools, I find myself having difficulty looking forward to the game.