Ex-BioShock Devs Launch Narrative Game Kickstarter

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Ex-BioShock Devs Launch Narrative Game Kickstarter

The Black Glove was created by former Irrational Games employees after the BioShock studio closed down.

When Irrational Games Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132317-Irrational-Games-to-Close-After-BioShock-Infinite-DLC-Update]. Launched today, the Kickstarter campaign for The Black Glove aims to raise $550,000 by November 7.

According to the Kickstarter page, "The Black Glove attempts to push the narrative game genre forward by tying story directly into gameplay, allowing players to alter both events and the world around them." It's described in the video as "a surreal game," and the world shown through the game's first-person view seems to support that notion. As the Curator of a 1920s theater with three artists whose work has taken a strange turn, the player is tasked with having "to change the creators' past to improve their work in the present."

When you want to create an original, atmospheric game, it definitely helps to have the people who brought BioShock's Rapture to life on your team. The $550,000 goal actually seems a little low, but all of The Black Glove's progress thus far has been funded out of pocket, so half a million dollars would surely be helpful in crossing the finish line. As of press time, nearly $7,500 has been raised, with 31 days to go in the campaign. A $20 pledge gets you a downloadable copy of the game for PC, Mac, and Linux, though there are plenty of higher reward tiers; The Black Glove has an estimated release date of October 2015.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theblackglove/the-black-glove]

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
It definitely seems interesting, but a bit bizarre. I guess it may be something comparable to the Stanley Parable, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm just happy a few members from Insomniac are still making unique gaming experiences.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
It does seem to have a very tight focus. At first, I assumed "feats" were...minigames, or something, but the actual glove mechanics seem interesting. I like this kind of aesthetic, so it's nice to see it getting more mileage.

As for changing a story by manipulating events, well, that sounds like something people will have to wait and judge for themselves. I can't imagine making a judgment before actually testing that sort of mechanic personally.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I love the first Bioshock to bits but this seems a little bit walky talky, if I get a machine I can play it on I'll give it a try but I'm not expecting wonders.

Blarg Blargson

Dec 7, 2008
They're planning a PS4 and Oculus Rift now if their initial funding goal is met. That's pretty ambitious, but I'd definitely like to see it happen.