Scientist Sleeps with Bed Bugs to Prove His Invention to the Military

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010

A scientist is so confident in his anti bed bug system that he released 400 of the parasites into a test chamber - and then slept in it overnight.

Read Full Article

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm hoping that these tests will also push the boundaries of bed bugs in culinary uses. I mean, they aren't just throwing out all that delicious protein are they?

Space Butterfly

May 7, 2014
I was thinking you have to do this every day which is kinda boring but then I realized that at least you have a nice warm bed after you clean all the bugs off.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Lightknight said:
I'm hoping that these tests will also push the boundaries of bed bugs in culinary uses. I mean, they aren't just throwing out all that delicious protein are they?
Oooo. Pure Protein!

Anyway. Neat idea. Hope it all works out. It would seem more work is needed to not "let the bed bugs bite".

Hopefully this bed is enough to stop them.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
This is like those old-time inventors of bulletproof vests that would advertise their gear in the most straightforward manner.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Absolutionis said:
This is like those old-time inventors of bulletproof vests that would advertise their gear in the most straightforward manner.
Can't argue with results.

I actually didn't realise that bed bugs were an actual real thing, never heard of them around these parts. Had a quick look online and it appears that while we have them in Australia it's not to the same extent as elsewhere. Hmm I wonder if it's the heat.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
truly, our media outlets have failed us when only one man is willing to watch a scientist douse himself with bedbugs

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
The headline is actually a little misleading, the military was already perfectly happy with his invention without the need for further testing. This man didn't sleep with bed bugs to prove his invention to the military, he slept with bed bugs for SCIENCE!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Seriously bed bugs are on the very short list of things that need to be killed with fire.

Expensive little buggers and they just need to die.

(and surinam toads - because they really freak me out.)

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
carpathic said:
Seriously bed bugs are on the very short list of things that need to be killed with fire.

Fortunately, you don't need fire - just 50 degrees Celsius of heat!

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I solved my bedbug problem by setting fire to my house. Lets see you little bastards escape THAT!

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Wow, I'm happy I live in a country where I've never even heard of or seen these things.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Rhykker said:
carpathic said:

Fortunately, you don't need fire - just 50 degrees Celsius of heat!
Well played sir. Well played.

That said, it is fairly rare that you NEED fire, sometimes you just WANT fire. In deference to your wit I will amend my statement.

Bed bugs are on the very short list of things that I WANT to kill with fire. :)

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Kerethos said:
Wow, I'm happy I live in a country where I've never even heard of or seen these things.
I assure you, this article doesn't get across the horror of actually dealing with a bed bug infestation. The best example of that I've seen was a testimonial article on cracked. It's hilarious and all kinds of do not want. I mean, they're bad enough to have driven at least one person to suicide.

I was under the impression that bed bugs have been known to drop onto people from the ceiling if they can't get up a bed post, but I guess that could be an urban legend or simply where they were infesting for some people.

Still, this invention is just great. These people deserve to make millions off of this, which if they've got a government contract has probably already happened.