Here's What 10,000 League of Legends Games Look Like in 30 Seconds

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Here's What 10,000 League of Legends Games Look Like in 30 Seconds

This awesome video aggregates the movements of 100,000 players over the course of 10,000 League of Legends games.

League of Legends is a pretty complex game, with a highly volatile meta-game and constant patches and additions from the developer. Despite this, the same patterns emerge in every single game, especially when you look at an aggregation of 100,000 players over 10,000 games. The video to the right from our friends at The New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/10/technology/league-of-legends-graphic.html?_r=0] does just that, showing us where the majority of players are at various points in a typical League of Legends game.

The results are fascinating. As you can see from the three images below, in the early game, most players are focused around their own lanes (except for of course, the jungler). The mid-game still has a "lane" focus, but there is a lot of action around map objectives, such as the Dragon. Lastly, the late game shows that "mid is king," as it revolves around most teams vying for a big push down the middle lane to destroy their enemy's base.

[gallery=3350]

If you're after more detailed videos, the NY Times also put together aggregations of the movements of each role in the game, including Riftwalk.gg [http://int.nyt.com/data/videotape/finished/2014/10/09/lolstats/lane-b-4-470.mp4].

If you've ever played League of Legends, it's certainly an interesting series of videos to watch, especially ahead of the World Championship Semifinals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137845-League-of-Legends-World-Championship-Quarterfinals-Summary] that kick off later today.

Source: The New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/10/technology/league-of-legends-graphic.html?_r=0]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
You could've put a 30 second video of a baby crying and gotton the actual point across about how LoL players are.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
RaikuFA said:
You could've put a 30 second video of a baby crying and gotton the actual point across about how LoL players are.
What are you even talking about? You post in every LoL thread about how shit the community is without ever adding anything constructive? Did you even read this article or watch the video? I mean really

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so what this shows us is that the more the math progress the more middle is pushed and sides abandoned.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RaikuFA said:
NO ONE CARES.

OT: That actually looks really cool. I would have guessed that it would have just been a swarming mass at all times, but it really does follow a pattern.

FYI I Am Some Guy

Aug 24, 2010
Reminds me of videos of Trackmania, where they have a thousand replays playing at the same time.
http://www.tm-tube.com/video/28616/New+K-Project

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Ooooh, pretty lights.
I don't play League, but for some reason it reminded me of that film, Evolution. The one that was sponsored by Head and Shoulders for some reason.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I came in hoping to see what 10,000 ragequits looked like. /snark

As much as google-style data mining and other meta stuff kind of creeps me out, this is actually pretty fascinating to watch. Makes me wonder if there're some brilliant players out there watching and coming up with new strategies based on the way matches tend to trend.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
DugMachine said:
RaikuFA said:
What are you even talking about? You post in every LoL thread about how shit the community is without ever adding anything constructive? Did you even read this article or watch the video? I mean really
I can't add anything constructive because the people that play it aren't. Maybe if I didn't get such shitty treatment every time I tried to play online I wouldn't post stuff like that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
lacktheknack said:
RaikuFA said:
NO ONE CARES.
You should. Your game's community should act better especially against newcomers or else it'll kill itself.

flying_whimsy said:
Watch out, you're not allowed to criticize LoL or online gaming in general.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
RaikuFA said:
lacktheknack said:
RaikuFA said:
NO ONE CARES.
You should. Your game's community should act better especially against newcomers or else it'll kill itself.

flying_whimsy said:
Actually, you were criticizing everyone who played LoL, not the game itself or online gaming in general. I'm not sure if you were trying to make a joke and didn't give context or if you actually hate LoL players (given someone else's response I'm guessing it's the latter), so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and advise you to better differentiate between criticism of the players and of the game.

I was (clearly) making a joke and I followed it with some relevant discussion to give better context. I actually don't even play the game (surprise!).

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
RaikuFA said:
lacktheknack said:
RaikuFA said:
NO ONE CARES.

flying_whimsy said:
Actually, you were criticizing everyone who played LoL, not the game itself or online gaming in general. I'm not sure if you were trying to make a joke and didn't give context or if you actually hate LoL players (given someone else's response I'm guessing it's the latter), so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and advise you to better differentiate between criticism of the players and of the game.

I was (clearly) making a joke and I followed it with some relevant discussion to give better context. I actually don't even play the game (surprise!).
I'm kinda criticizing both. Mostly it's players. But the game itself has mechanics that don't help.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
RaikuFA said:
I can't add anything constructive because the people that play it aren't. Maybe if I didn't get such shitty treatment every time I tried to play online I wouldn't post stuff like that.
So basically if it's in any way LoL related you'll keep flinging shit because you've had a bad experience? No matter the topic at hand, this one being where players tend to go on the map, but of course them being crying babies is totally relevant to this topic?

I guess man

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Hello friend! I am a League of Legends player. I recently started playing ranked in fact, and I'm very proud that I managed to get into the gold division.

Would you kindly explain to me why you think I am a crying baby? What is it exactly that you dislike about me?

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Strazdas said:
so what this shows us is that the more the math progress the more middle is pushed and sides abandoned.
Well a straight line is the shortest path between two points

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Risingblade said:
Strazdas said:
Well a straight line is the shortest path between two points
...Unless you fold time. Unfortunately, doing so means risking going mad and raking your own eyes out.

OT: It looks like so many tiny little anty things in a Petri dish. I failed biology, by the way.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
It's sad to see this thread turning to shit because of one negative nancy..

On a brighter note however, i am really impressed by this graph, i don't see them often either.

Apparently supports and AD-Carries start top sometimes..? Neat, meta breaking. :3

Thanks for the news post!

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
RaikuFA said:
DugMachine said:
RaikuFA said:
I'm sorry you've had such poor treatment by the LoL community. We've all been there. Though, I'm a decently active player and I'm very nice! If you ever wanna play with someone who's polite and friendly let me know. I'm not too great at the game even though I've been playing for about two years, but I usually have fun.

Ot: That was very pretty and I enjoyed it. Thanks.

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
The Goat Tsar said:
RaikuFA said:
Hello friend! I am a League of Legends player. I recently started playing ranked in fact, and I'm very proud that I managed to get into the gold division.

Would you kindly explain to me why you think I am a crying baby? What is it exactly that you dislike about me?
People were mean to him, and because you enjoy one of the same things they do that means you are a bad person.