Marvel Announces New Civil War Series

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011

A big Marvel Comics event will kick off with Civil War #1 in the summer of 2015.

Marvel Comics will be retreading familiar ground next summer when it launches Civil War #1. Announced just minutes ago with just a cover image, there's no other information to go on--all we know is that it's coming in 2015 and some of the most prominent superheroes of the MCU will be involved.

The image shows Iron Man and Captain America tugging on either side of Spider-Man, which echoes the events of Marvel's last Civil War--as does Spidey's costume. The first Civil War Marvel crossover series took place throughout 2006 and 2007, tying into many of the publisher's ongoing series. It revolved around the United States government's Superhero Registration Act, which forced characters like Captain America and Iron Man to reveal their identities or risk becoming outlaws.

It's not clear why this was announced this afternoon via email and not during one of the many Marvel panels at last weekend's New York Comic Con. With almost nothing to go on, all we can do is wait for Marvel to release more information.

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
Sarah LeBoeuf said:

A big Marvel Comics event will kick off with Civil War #1 in the summer of 2015.

Marvel Comics will be retreading familiar ground next summer when it launches Civil War #1. Announced just minutes ago with just a cover image, there's no other information to go on--all we know is that it's coming in 2015 and some of the most prominent superheroes of the MCU will be involved.

The image shows Iron Man and Captain America tugging on either side of Spider-Man, which echoes the events of Marvel's last Civil War--as does Spidey's costume. The first Civil War Marvel crossover series took place throughout 2006 and 2007, tying into many of the publisher's ongoing series. It revolved around the United States government's Superhero Registration Act, which forced characters like Captain America and Iron Man to reveal their identities or risk becoming outlaws.

It's not clear why this was announced this afternoon via email and not during one of the many Marvel panels at last weekend's New York Comic Con. With almost nothing to go on, all we can do is wait for Marvel to release more information.

"(F)amiliar ground" is absolutely right.

Instead of this, maybe Marvel should try something new?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Wow.

Wow.

Really?!

They are retreading Secret Wars AND Civil War?! Civil War basically happened yesterday, what the actual fuck?!

I am so glad I don't read Marvel anymore. This confirms their editorial staff is creatively bankrupt and just in it for $$$

And I used to be a fanboy :/

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Are we sure that's Spidey? Reminds me more of the Kaine Scarlet Spider costume.

And... Why would Marvel go back to this territory? Civil War was not well received. It didn't help that either side could be demonised depending on the writer, nor did it help that there didn't seem to be a consistent version of the Superhero Registration Act itself.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo

This time, it's personal.

But seriously, they usually wait a little longer before retreading old concepts with new and different spins and take on them. I thought the image they provided was a promo from the original event.

Is this going to be another civil war because technically the skrulls were involved with the first one, manipulating events?

Does anyone remember when heroes teamed up to fight villains? And not stupidly like with Age of Ultron?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Hopefully this one will be interesting, and Cap/Tony will have learned rhetoric skills in the meantime.

Seriously, the only above-average/not terrible part of the last run (that I'm aware of) was Fallen Son, which technically came after the event ended.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Are we sure this isn't just a reprint? Cap's been depowered and Ironman has his I-Pod suit, not the old red and gold shown here.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Fappy said:
Wow.

Wow.

Really?!

They are retreading Secret Wars AND Civil War?! Civil War basically happened yesterday, what the actual fuck?!

I am so glad I don't read Marvel anymore. This confirms their editorial staff is creatively bankrupt and just in it for $$$

And I used to be a fanboy :/
Secret War is one thing considering that happened in the 80s, but Civil War isn't even out of general memory considering how stuff in that is still effecting stories told today. This isn't really fans who are now writers basically doing fanfiction, but a literal retread. At this point the only thing I read from Marvel is Deadpool. Seems to me there's a reason people stick to movies and tv when it comes to comics

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I REALLY hope it's just a 'collection' release, or maybe a 'remake, without all the pork' kind of a deal.

Because, as it stands, another Civil War doesn't make ANY sense.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
I really hope this is a TP or a HC because the Secret Wars and Civil War news forced my decision on not buying AXIS :( I mean, why the hell I want to expend time and money in a current event "that will shake all the Marvel Universe as we know it" if the "House of Ideas" already kills their own hype announcing next years "universe shaking event" :( what happend Marvel? you used to be cool :(

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Tanis said:
I REALLY hope it's just a 'collection' release, or maybe a 'remake, without all the pork' kind of a deal.

Because, as it stands, another Civil War doesn't make ANY sense.
This is pretty much where I'm at.
The original Civil War had a pretty lackluster ending, and I'm not looking forward to a redo of it.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
If I can get a trade paperback of Civil War like I did for Secret Wars, that would be grand. It would also explain this seemingly off-the-cuff announcement. I'd be amazed if Civil War 2 (if that's indeed what this is) got the afterthought treatment.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I haven't even finished reading the first civil war yet. I still have half of the Avengers book to go.

Judging by Spidey's costume though, I think it's going to be a reprinted version. I don't see him using that armor again.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Spaceman Spiff said:
I haven't even finished reading the first civil war yet. I still have half of the Avengers book to go.

Judging by Spidey's costume though, I think it's going to be a reprinted version. I don't see him using that armor again.
I'm hoping for a reprint because christ it is a bit hard for me to follow.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
F-I-D-O said:
The original Civil War had a pretty lackluster ending...
And beginning. And middle. Cable & Deadpool was able to do some good with it, but the whole thing was pretty stupid.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
It's not clear why this was announced this afternoon via email and not during one of the many Marvel panels at last weekend's New York Comic Con.
I'm going to assume because it's extremely embarrassing, and nobody wanted to actually announce this in person to a live audience.

Seriously, though, it seems like every time I consider getting back into superhero comics, several announcements from both companies remind me why I stopped reading.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
What I'd guess is going to happen is that it will have something to do with the Axis storyline. My understanding is that part of that storyline will involve

various Marvel characters having their morality "inverted". So this new Civil War might involve the non-inverted heroes fighting some of the ones that have been twisted around by Red Onslaught.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Marvel is like "all our creative people work on the movies now, sorry. Have some of the same, as usual, but with less make over. Or any make over. It's not even a reboot, really. Pay us, please!"