Robert Downey Jr. To Be In Cap 3, MCU To Get CRAZY

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Robert Downey Jr. To Be In Cap 3, MCU To Get CRAZY

The Iron Man star is going to be Captain America's antagonist this time out. Yep, it's Civil War time.

Marvel's famous thriftiness may be coming to an end, as the company appears to have shelled out the necessary money to secure Robert Downey, Jr.'s services in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for a bit longer than anticipated. If this pans out, it's huge, earth-shattering news for the 2016 moviescape, and it likely has Warner Bros. looking for Depends right about now.

The news earlier today that Marvel is planning a new Civil War storyline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138018-Marvels-Civil-War-Comic-Series-Coming-2015] in its line of comics? Yeah, that wasn't a coincidence. Variety is reporting that the Iron Man star is set to receive a $40 million payout to costar in Captain America 3 and what's more, it's bigger than a mere one-off. According to Variety, all of this came together after an internal fight over RDJ's desire for a role meatier than a cameo in Cap 3. That Marvel opted to pay out is interesting, particularly with the recent Jack Kirby settlement in mind. It would appear the studio is beginning to feel a bit more confident about the company finances.

Reportedly, the plan is for Cap 3 to feature some version of the Marvel Civil War as the two end up on opposite sides of the superhero registration act that requires all super-persons to get licensed by the Government, or face arrest. In the film, as in the comic story, Captain America is against it, seeing it as a violation of inherent civil rights, while Tony Stark is decidedly pro. This puts them on opposite sides of the law and essentially makes them enemies, somewhat. Further, the idea is that RDJ's new place within in the MCU could extend to future films as well. Steve Rogers supposedly goes underground along with other, as-yet unnamed superheroes by the end of Cap 3.

Note that this comes less than two weeks after a flurry of Marvel rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137844-Rumor-Says-Marvel-Will-Feature-A-Whole-New-Team-In-Avengers-3] suggested gigantic plans for the next 5 years. Supposedly, Marvel has been nervously eyeing the end of both Chris Evans and Robert Downey, Jr.'s contracts and is seeking a way to extend them, at least long enough for new popular characters that can ably replace Iron Man and Captain America once they're gone. One rumor held the plan might be to split Avengers 3 into two films, though that's technically illegal. However, Badass Digest ran with a rumor that the plan was to stretch things out by having an almost entirely new team of Avengers in Avengers 3, with the final appearance of the original avengers together as a group to be saved for either Avengers 4, or an even bigger crossover event involving all aspects of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

To be clear, even bigger is on the level of Secret War or The Infinity Gauntlet.

Today's news would seem to confirm that Badass Digest is correct, though with a twist. As Chris Evans has been fairly adamant about wanting to largely retire from acting once is stint playing Captain America is up, it looks like Captain America will be absent from Avengers 3 so he can be saved for a later, bigger appearance. Meanwhile, Marvel has paid the willing Robert Downey, Jr. to stick around a bit longer. Badass Digest's Devin Faraci confirms he's been sitting on today's news for a couple of weeks, adding that [http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/13/robert-downey-jr-bringing-civil-war-to-captain-america-3/] Cap 3 will be called either "Civil War" or "Fallen Son." We'll just quote the rest:

More than that, Marvel is looking at Cap 3 as Avengers 2.5. It's going to be another ensemble picture, and it could feature Cap's new team from the end of Age of Ultron. Last I heard (and they haven't shot this scene yet, so it could change) that team is Falcon, War Machine, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Black Widow, as well as probably The Vision (although I have been told Black Widow will not be much of a presence in Cap 3). And once again the events of a Captain America movie will reshape the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Remember when I told you Cap wouldn't be in Avengers 3? This is why. At the end of Cap 3 the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be in a tough, dark place, with the heroes scattered and defeated. That will continue through Avengers 3, and it will leave the world open to the threat of Thanos in either Avengers 4 or the big universe-wide team-up movie, whichever comes first.

How closely will Captain America 3 tie in with Avengers 3? I've been told that the Russo Brothers are in talks to direct Avengers 3 and possibly 4. Sources tell me that they're the favorites of Marvel right now and that they are the guys Kevin Feige want to pick up the mantle from Joss Whedon.
This would be what you call a huge deal.

In case you've forgotten, this is the film that Marvel used to bully Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice out of the plum May, 2016 spot Warner Bros. staked out back in 2013. WB's decision to move BvS:DOJ to March 25, 2016 looks smarter than ever, since there's no way on earth that film can beat even half an Avengers. But if it saves Warner Bros. from the humiliation of being curb-stomped by Disney and Marvel, it also means that the year will almost certainly belong to Marvel, no matter how well the Dawn of Justice performs.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/robert-downey-jr-to-join-captain-america-3-exclusive-1201312229/]

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Wow. They're really gonna do the Civil War. I'm expecting a lot more super heroes and villains to have cameos and be mentioned leading up to Cap3. They're gonna need a lot more characters to make it a 'war' instead of 'back alley brawl'. The details will likely be a bit different from the comics though since there aren't really secret identities. I suppose they'd still have to register. Too bad Osborn is off the table (and I think Victoria Hand is dead?), Dark Avengers was awesome.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Spaceman Spiff said:
(and I think Victoria Hand is dead?)
Yeah, she died, though it'll be interesting to see how Sheild fits into the equasion given its current situation. I'll be keeping an eye on that front.

Ot:

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
RossaLincoln said:
Reportedly, the plan is for Cap 3 to feature some version of the Marvel Civil War as the two end up on opposite sides of the superhero registration act that requires all super-persons to get licensed by the Government, or face arrest. In the film, as in the comic story, Captain America is against it, seeing it as a violation of inherent civil rights, while Tony Stark is decidedly pro.
Isn't that a little contradictory to the Tony we've come to know in the MCU thus far? Let's not forget that he basically flipped the bird to the government the last time they asked something of him, now he's completely on their side to the point of battling a former ally over the issue?

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Isn't that a little contradictory to the Tony we've come to know in the MCU thus far? Let's not forget that he basically flipped the bird to the government the last time they asked something of him, now he's completely on their side to the point of battling a former ally over the issue?
I had a similar thought about the MCU Stark, but I think he may have a change of heart in Avengers 2 (maybe due to the 'miraculous' twins showing up). It definitely won't be Cap'n on the registration side after Winter Soldier.

Zontar said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
(and I think Victoria Hand is dead?)
Yeah, she died, though it'll be interesting to see how Sheild fits into the equasion given its current situation. I'll be keeping an eye on that front.
It also just occurred to me that there's no Venom or Scorpion for Dark Avengers, no Skrulls for the Secret Invasion (though those series are only slightly related), or Fantastic Four or Spider-Man for the Civil War. There's gonna be some rewrites goin on.

I dunno how I'm supposed to sleep with all of this speculation to speculate.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yeah, I used to think that the people of WB were just being cowards by moving their date. I figured that Captain America 3 - while certain to be good - couldn't stand up to the prospect of Batman and Superman going toe-to-toe. But damn, now that that's going to be Cap'n 3, yeah...looks like WB made a good move. :p

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Honestly, these actors would be really stupid to not extend their contracts. The payout has got to be insane, they'll have consistent work, and their resume will be god-like. I fail to see the bad part of this.

OT: Yep, I'm ready for this. So ready for this.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Elfgore said:
Honestly, these actors would be really stupid to not extend their contracts. The payout has got to be insane, they'll have consistent work, and their resume will be god-like. I fail to see the bad part of this.
Well in RDJ's case it's money. He's become a Hollywood A Lister since his original contract was made, so it would take a LOT more money to get him to do a movie with them now. In the case of Evans, it's due to his wanting to leave acting for directing. It's actually why I thought Ant-Man would have him take the reigns after Wright left.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
A lot of news stories coming out of Marvel about their movies.

I just have one request: Since you're rebooting Daredevil and Fantastic Four, can you also reboot Ghost Rider?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Civil War without Spiderman or Fantastic Four. And with the spoiler of
Hulk getting jettisoned offworld in (supposedly) Avenger 3, possibly leading up to World War Hulk (crosses fingers)

Or maybe the Civil War will be short lived due to Thanos showing up and everyone saying "Screw registration!"

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Will Ash be there too?

*Points to all his haphazard time-travel and battle with deadites*

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
ravenshrike said:
Sorry but given the events of IM3 the idea that the MCU Tony Stark would be remotely pro registration is laughable.
I'm not so sure. Avengers really messed with Stark's head, and while he appears to be dealing with the personal aspects of that by the end of IM3, they could construct a plausible scenario in which Stark is reluctantly in-favour of "outing" heroes(afterall, it doesn't affect him personally, everyone's known he was Iron Man since the first movie, and he's far more aware of just how big the potential threats faced by Earth are post-Battle of New York), seeing it as a necessary evil, especially if Avengers 2 makes "miraculous" people into a big thing and the Agents of SHIELD/Skye-related speculation is actually a thing which introduces the Inhumans into the picture.

They'd have to build up to a confrontation between Cap and Stark obviously, push both character further down their respective paths, but it could work if it's well written. I'm intrigued to see where they take this.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm... a little confused as to why they'd be going with Civil War before they get the rights back to Spidey and the X-Men.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
So Tony Stark will flip around from "you can't trust these guys" and trying to convince Captain America his superiors where power hungry gits in Avengers to an X Men style pogrom on people with super powers...

Okay.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Yeah, I used to think that the people of WB were just being cowards by moving their date. I figured that Captain America 3 - while certain to be good - couldn't stand up to the prospect of Batman and Superman going toe-to-toe. But damn, now that that's going to be Cap'n 3, yeah...looks like WB made a good move. :p
This is true. I mean the two greatest superheroes of all time on screen for the first time ever in a big blow out Hollywood production. That is a big deal. However Established brands are established brands. Iron Man is arguably Marvel's biggest superheros right now even though I think the two Cap movies still out do all the Iron Man movies and Iron Man 3 kicked ass. I think though if WB can get their brand going it could be a fun game. Right now though its still like sending a lvl 5. Charmander against a lvl 100. Charizard. Just not a good idea.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
My first reaction was somewhere along the lines of "NONONONONONONO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

But I've given it a little thinking, and I can see maybe where Marvel's going. 3 episodes into AoS' new season, and we've had 2 "Gifted" individuals running amok, causing trouble. Along with Hydra's plot to make supersoldiers in the previous season, I'm seeing a bit of a theme: metahumans are dangerous and need either guidance (Shield's stance) or control (Hydra's stance). Inhumans are (we believe) being pushed by Agents of Shield and possibly Agent Carter. I believe their TV season ends shortly before Avengers 2. What happens if, at the end of the season, a plot is revealed to unlock the Inhumans en masse, as a lead up to Avengers 2, where at the end it happens? Confused Gifted running around all over the planet, wreaking havoc?

At that point, you've got your ideologies set for Civil War. Captain America wants to bring the new metahumans together and help them learn to coexist peacefully, while Tony Stark sees them as a threat that need to be brought under government oversight? Hell, what if CA creates a partnership with the new SHIELD, while Tony Stark founds HAMMER? I can see potential in this, in the long term for the MCU.

Of course this is RAMPANT speculation on my part. Which does not involve the Infinity Stones, which SEEM to be the source of Scarlet Witch's and Quicksilver's power in this universe. (Although, I feel like I need a disclaimer to get something off my chest I've been holding for at least a year: LOKI'S STAFF IS NOT A FRIGGIN STONE. Could go into all sorts of reasons why that is, but I'll stick with the simplest: color coding. There are 6 colors for 6 stones. Aside from being fact, it was confirmed in Guardians, when the Collector gave us all his little history lesson: 6 stones with 6 colors are clearly shown. The stone in Loki's staff is blue. It's powered by the Tesseract. Making that blue stone another Infinity stone would just be confusing for the audience to keep track of. Sorry if I seem cross, I've just seen that speculation as taken for fact here and other places too many times and its gotten under my skin. Feels nice to let it out. Don't mean to offend, after all, I'm rampantly speculating here as well :) )

Also, despite following the Escapist for a long while, I don't think I've ever posted before. Recent... events in gaming space have encouraged me to start speaking out, just a little. So hi!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The priests were wrong, there is a god.

And I didn't think he'd show up in Cap 3, but I'm happy to find out I was wrong!