Keep Out the Dead With $113,000 "Zombie Fortification Cabin" - Update

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Keep Out the Dead With $113,000 "Zombie Fortification Cabin" - Update

Tiger Log Cabins' Zombie Fortification Cabin costs $113,000 and are built both for comfort and to stave off the undead.

Update: We reached out to Tiger Log Cabins to inquire about what inspired them to create the ZFC-1 and how the design process worked. They wrote back with this:

"We have a great team here and a lot of the guys and girls are really into the whole zombie phenomenon - with TV shows such as The Walking Dead proving really popular at the moment. It started with a conversation about one of the episodes over lunch and it wasn't long before we were talking about 'what would we do... what would we actually do if this happened here?'. The conversation went from there and one of the team jokingly suggested that we would all be okay because we could just build ourselves a special log cabin and all hide in there. From there the idea was born and we thought 'well why not...'. All the team then put their own ideas into the design and we decided to take the best ideas and put it into one incredible building."

Original Story: I think at this point we can all agree that the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/zombie%20apocalypse>zombie apocalypse is going to happen. Heck, it probably wouldn't be stretching things to say that there are some actively looking forward to it. Not that it's hard to see why. After all, once you get past the undead cannibals and constant struggle for survival, a world full of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/zombies>zombies actually comes with considerable perks. No more alarm clocks. No more traffic. No more standing in line a the grocery store behind elderly folks who insist on paying with the spare change from their coin purse. All in all, it sounds like a grand old time so long as you can keep yourself away from the eating end <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137386-Zombie-Mob-2000-Strong-Invades-Spanish-Town>of a zombie.

The folks at the Zombie Fortification Cabin (ZFC-1) incorporates defensive measures such as slit windows with "toughened double glazing." Its biggest feature though is its modular design which splits it into three separate sections each protected by a set of "two lockable doors" that "even your most advanced lock picker would struggle to compromise."

The modules, in turn, are each designed to serve a practical purpose. One, for instance, is equipped with roller shutter doors and is large enough to serve as a garage for a military or escape vehicle. Another section features a built-in food storage unit to give you a place to keep your edibles. The largest unit meanwhile, features several amenities to make your zombie fortress feel more like an actual home. Include among these are a bedroom, kitchen, living room, a gym, second floor bedrooms and even an outdoor deck. It also comes equipped with a toilet system, built-in barbed wire, a TV, Xbox, and walled-off gardening section to allow for safe time outdoors.

[gallery=3394]

The whole thing comes with instructions to help with easy assembly. Not that there aren't any catches, of course. For one, Tiger Log Cabins tailors primarily to the UK. Even if you happen to be a denizen of the United Kingdom however, the sheer cost of one of these bad boys might be enough to convince you to just pull up your stairs and ride out the zombie apocalypse on the second floor of your shoebox-sized apartment. The baseline cost of a ZFC-1 is £69,995, or around $113,000. In other words, it's probably more than most of us have just lying around. Still, when it comes to zombies you can never be too safe.

Source: Tiger Log Cabins

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Zombies are all and good, but how does it hold up against those religious folks that insist on knocking at my door at 6 am to ask me if I've found their personal lord and savior?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I liked that reinforced concrete one with hydraulically powered concrete shutters with a concrete perimeter wall better, I mean if you're going into fantasy land and want protection from zombies and marauding mad max bandits you might as well go all out. It is a liviable functional house until you close it up too, http://all-that-is-interesting.com/post/4956385434/the-first-zombie-proof-house

Micah Weil said:
Zombies are all and good, but how does it hold up against those religious folks that insist on knocking at my door at 6 am to ask me if I've found their personal lord and savior?
Troll them, learn some basic Arabic quotes from the Qur'an and spout it at them. Works well with both Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses so far, the reaction is priceless.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Hmm... So Tiger Log Cabins are based in the UK, relatively close to where I live...

I now have a plan for the Zombie Apocalypse: Get to Tiger Log Cabins. I'll figure out the rest when I get there...

EDIT:

WAIT! That open roof doesn't look very secure. Ladder access through a hole, without even a hatch to close... If the zombies get on the roof (and they will) anyone living in there is basically screwed.

...I may need a new zombie survival plan...

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
44mm thick 'extra' thick logs? Seriously? That's basically 1 3/4"!
The 'log houses' I helped my dad build, make those look like twigs! Seriously, if 'those' are capable of holding off 'zombies', I think the 1.5' to 3' diameter log houses we've built, would do a far better job. :p

Also, coming from an architectural background, the company that made those renders did a piss-poor job.
It looks to me like someone who worked at that company was bored (lack of business) and wanted to put this out there as a 'in-house' joke and they just ran with it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
SinisterDeath said:
44mm thick 'extra' thick logs? Seriously? That's basically 1 3/4"!
The 'log houses' I helped my dad build, make those look like twigs! Seriously, if 'those' are capable of holding off 'zombies', I think the 1.5' to 3' diameter log houses we've built, would do a far better job. :p

Also, coming from an architectural background, the company that made those renders did a piss-poor job.
It looks to me like someone who worked at that company was bored (lack of business) and wanted to put this out there as a 'in-house' joke and they just ran with it.
I don't even have an background in architecture and I can see these aren't worth the hype. I imagine with a good supply of timber and several months of blueprinting the more paranoid of us could do better. There is always another fundamental problem with above-ground Zombie shelters; other survivors. If you're under attack from humans, fire will cook you out no matter what. I think if I have the money to make an emergency zombie home, I'm going to make a concrete contraption underground somewhere.

The less visible, the better.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
That does sound han...

StewShearer said:
The whole thing comes with instructions to help with easy assembly.
Well I'm F'ed. I wouldn't trust me to put together a Lego set, let alone my fortress for repelling the zombie apocalypse. I imagine it would end up being something like this...

tippy2k2: Zombies! Everyone quick, inside my super awesome zombie fortress of doom!
Loved one: Wow tippy2k2 (my family calls me that for some reason)! This sure is a nice fortress of doom! I bet the zombies will never get through here!
tippy2k2: Damn right! I built this thing myself! She's as sturdy as a mountain! *Taps wall with hand for dramatic effect
*Walls fall over in a comical fashion
tippy2k2: Well........shit

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Depending on the locations, I've seen two bedroom houses go for more than that any day of the week. Just try to find something for less than 150k USD in a Boston suburb with similar specs. The walled in garden is a nice touch as well.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
If the zombie apocalypse did happen, I still say that you'd have to fortify your base with consideration for other survivors above fortifying it with consideration for the zombies. Hungry walkers scraping at your walls are the least of your concern if there's someone desperate enough to blast a hole in your wall and kill you to get your supplies. Not to mention the anarchists. I feel like all someone has to do is take a match to that Tiger brand zombie hideout and you'd be quickly exposed.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Interesting idea, even if you can kinda tell it was designed a) by a builder rather than a designer, and b) as a joke

As a building design student theres some very strange choices. Kitchen larger than the living space, toilet in the storage area, walkways inset from the exterior perimeter which does nothing but take space away from the garden area, unnecessary passageway in front of the gym. (Hey look at me, Im doing homework for once! My teachers would be so proud haha)

The_Darkness said:
WAIT! That open roof doesn't look very secure. Ladder access through a hole, without even a hatch to close... If the zombies get on the roof (and they will) anyone living in there is basically screwed.
Never mind the 2nd storey roof. The plan shows window directly on top of the walkway sections that would be accessible from the roof of the ground floor section. Protected by nothing but barbed wire.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Oh, look. Another product based on the zombie craze. Even better, it's a log cabin made out of twigs. This has to be a joke or another toy for people who'd rather burn money. A log cabin made with real logs (at least 6 inches in diameter) would be more secure than open, flat-top roofs with barbed wire. (I don't think barbed wire would slow down a zombie hoard. The first few might get stuck, but they become convenient ladders for the rest. And, human raiders could get around it even faster.)

I'd agree with what was said above about underground bunkers. Heating and cooling would be easier since the earth insulates well.

One thing every zombie/collapse of civilization shelter I see lacks advertisement (I guess one of these pics has a crappy CGI one.) of one key appliance: a wood/multi-fuel stove. Every zombie story I've heard of (except maybe the Zombie Survival Guide) assumes incorrectly that the power grid will last for more than a few minutes without attention. Gasonline/petrol doesn't have a long shelf life (maybe a year with additives), every other combustion fuel will get harder to find, hydro-electric requires your swanky fort to be close to a moving, reliably strong body of water, and solar/wind has batteries that can wear out. The various generators powered by these and wood stoves are still great to have at home for real emergencies, like storms or gas line issues. (We didn't have electricity for 2 days after an ice storm during Christmas Eve one year, so no furnace and no well pump. Good thing I had those backups.)

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
WouldYouKindly said:
Depending on the locations, I've seen two bedroom houses go for more than that any day of the week. Just try to find something for less than 150k USD in a Boston suburb with similar specs. The walled in garden is a nice touch as well.
Property value vs Material cost.
$150k for materials alone on that is over-priced bull crap.
To reiterate, you're looking at.. depending on the value of the land. $150k for materials, probably around $50k for all the permits, plumbing, and electrical work.
If you live in the city, easily another $100k for the land itself.

If you get help building this, you could easily see the labor cost equal the material cost. (depending on how many contractors you get.)

I could probably build a two story, four bedroom, two bath house, for less than $200k... if I pick the right area, and I can get the right help.

As for zombie-proof housing.. It really depends.. Are we talking Walking-Dead zombies, or World War Z fast zombie horde-floods?

Hairless Mammoth said:
Oh, look. Another product based on the zombie craze. Even better, it's a log cabin made out of twigs. This has to be a joke or another toy for people who'd rather burn money. A log cabin made with real logs (at least 6 inches in diameter) would be more secure than open, flat-top roofs with barbed wire. (I don't think barbed wire would slow down a zombie hoard. The first few might get stuck, but they become convenient ladders for the rest. And, human raiders could get around it even faster.)

I'd agree with what was said above about underground bunkers. Heating and cooling would be easier since the earth insulates well.

One thing every zombie/collapse of civilization shelter I see lacks advertisement (I guess one of these pics has a crappy CGI one.) of one key appliance: a wood/multi-fuel stove. Every zombie story I've heard of (except maybe the Zombie Survival Guide) assumes incorrectly that the power grid will last for more than a few minutes without attention. Gasonline/petrol doesn't have a long shelf life (maybe a year with additives), every other combustion fuel will get harder to find, hydro-electric requires your swanky fort to be close to a moving, reliably strong body of water, and solar/wind has batteries that can wear out. The various generators powered by these and wood stoves are still great to have at home for real emergencies, like storms or gas line issues. (We didn't have electricity for 2 days after an ice storm during Christmas Eve one year, so no furnace and no well pump. Good thing I had those backups.)
Plant your house next door to a garbage dump.
Why? A fairly constant supply of natural gas/methane. ;)

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Color me unimpressed and highly skeptical of it's security against zombies or anything at all. For that price I could probably make my current home far safer and better stocked.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Zombie cabins are all well and good but the entire thing appears to be made out of wood, one small fire from inside or out and the whole thing is toast.

I prefer the all concrete model from a few years ago.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Maybe if it actually came with those Gatling guns. Kinda weird that they didn't do more roof gardens (sunlight, people) or have covered turret areas for using those guns under protection of those covering. Gotta consider being vandal proof in a zombie apocalypse. Even with running zombie scenarios people are far more likely to be the threat.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
How about a Jehovah Witness bunker? That would be used more then a zombie bunker for sure.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
SinisterDeath said:
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that one. Another one power source is geothermal energy, if you build in an active area. Yellowstone is first come, first serve when the park rangers abandon their posts to defend their families from shambling corpses, right?

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Hairless Mammoth said:
SinisterDeath said:
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that one. Another one power source is geothermal energy, if you build in an active area. Yellowstone is first come, first serve when the park rangers abandon their posts to defend their families from shambling corpses, right?
Hmm.. Depending on the area you could use geothermal hot springs as a moat...