Titanfall is Getting a 4-player Co-op Mode

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall is Getting a 4-player Co-op Mode

It's not quite the singleplayer mode fans were asking for, but Titanfall's upcoming co-op mode sounds pretty neat.

One of the biggest request from Titanfall fans has been some kind of singleplayer mode, so that those who don't like to play online could still enjoy the game. What started off as a harsh maybe [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133693-Titanfall-Devs-Considered-VR-Single-Player-Modes], and now, it looks like we're getting a bit of a compromise, with Respawn announcing a rather extensive co-op mode, which will be added to the game in a free update.

In the upcoming mode, four friends will team up to protect a Harvester from waves of incoming IMC forces. The new mode will support all 24 of the game's maps, including all of the DLC offerings. New enemy types, as well as variations to existing enemy types have been specifically created for this mode.

But, anyone who has played Titanfall will know that the AI Grunts and Spectres are not really a legitimate threat, so Respawn has announced that for this mode, their AI has been improved significantly to the point that they will exercise many common Pilot practices, like rodeoing your Titans.

The main idea of the game mode will be to adjust to different enemies and exercise different tactics, and loadout crates will allow players to change their loadouts in mid-match in-between waves to accommodate this idea.

Other free game modes coming to the game include Deadly Ground - where the maps floor is covered with a deadly electric fog, and Marked for Death Pro mode - which expands on the Marked for Death concept by dividing each session into rounds.

Frontier Defense, the co-op mode, should launch this Thursday, while Deadly Ground and Marked for Death Pro will go live on November 5 and 26 respectively.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.titanfall.com/news/titanfall-game-update-eight]

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
This might actually get me to buy Titanfall. My competitive FPS days are mostly over with, too much of an emotional roller-coaster. Now I mostly stick with single player or co-op shooters, such as FarCry 3, Killingfloor, Left 4 Dead 2, and PAYDAY 2. If they really do this and the feedback is positive, I'll seriously consider getting this.

Good on you Respawn.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
EvolutionKills said:
This might actually get me to buy Titanfall. My competitive FPS days are mostly over with, too much of an emotional roller-coaster. Now I mostly stick with single player or co-op shooters, such as FarCry 3, Killingfloor, Left 4 Dead 2, and PAYDAY 2. If they really do this and the feedback is positive, I'll seriously consider getting this.

Good on you Respawn.
Remember that you can try before you buy on origin. You can try it out for 24 hours for free. :)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Hmmmm, this has turned my "never get it" into "interested". Still would require an offline/SP mode for when they turn the servers off but if they do update with that it will reach the "buy now" rating (probably on XBO).

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I didn't think the game was still adding stuff. And if all this comes as a free update, I might end up getting the game myself. When I played the free weekend a few months back, it grew stale after a time, but things like "Deadly Ground" sound absolutely awesome.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well this makes for a nice incentive to pick this up, I've gotten tired of competitive only so having the co-op option is always nice to see, good on Respawn.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
this does sound actually neat. and its for free, so i actually will give it a try. havent played much recently due other games but still enjoy it regardless when ever i feel like playing against others and punching others in their titan nuts. still have to reach G10 though. struggling with the rodeo challenge since pretty much everyone uses the fog.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
chikusho said:
EvolutionKills said:

Good on you Respawn.
Remember that you can try before you buy on origin. You can try it out for 24 hours for free. :)

Already did, wasn't sold. It looked alright and played alright, until you actually tried shooting another human player. The peer-to-peer hosting console gaming crap left me with a 120~240 ping on every match I tried. There was no way, as far as I could tell, to go to a server browser and play on a dedicated server with a decent connection. So in addition to being really behind the familiarity curve and repeatedly thrown into games with multi-paragon (or whatever they call it) players, throwing insufferable lag on top of that made it more trouble than it was worth every time I almost started to get into it.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
People still play Titanfall? I thought that thing was pretty much dead by now.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Nope, still not buying.

The mode certainly sounds interesting in a 'you've seen this horde mode before' kind of way, but there in lies the problem, seen it before.

Respawns implementation of the campaign was completely insulting, if that's their standard then this will be equally awful. If they announced a Left 4 Dead style campaign with a proper plot and actual content then yes, that would be interesting. Implementing some basic PC gaming infrastructure wouldn't hurt either (peer 2 peer is not acceptable for a FPS, ever), nor would adding a bit more depth to the movement and shooting mechanics.

If it turns out to be amazing then I'll stand corrected, but this is the same problem the BF4 has had, more stuff without making the existing stuff work better first is just more mess, it's not any better.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I look forward to the few people left playing this game having great difficulty trying to play these new modes. Since Respawn have stubbornly refused to add offline play then the game is doomed to failure on November 4 when the new Call of Duty comes out.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4-player in the same console or online? This generation I've yet to see a legitimate shooter I can play on the couch with 4 people in my house that doesn't require me to bring out a second TV and second console and second copy of the same game.

Is there something particularly difficult with developing 4-player games in x86 architecture? The only thing we've got is Towerfall which is damn fun but not what I mean.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Offline split screen co op is literally all it would take for me to buy this game on the 360. i hope that this is indeed what this update brings.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
As a dedicated Titanfall player, I am excited as shit for this.

Invisible spectres? Suicide titans? This has the potential to be chaotically fun.

The game is in dire need of some variety for people who aren't unhealthily in love with the game itself (hi...), so it's nice to see that finally starting to happen.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
EvolutionKills said:
Already did, wasn't sold. It looked alright and played alright, until you actually tried shooting another human player. The peer-to-peer hosting console gaming crap left me with a 120~240 ping on every match I tried. There was no way, as far as I could tell, to go to a server browser and play on a dedicated server with a decent connection. So in addition to being really behind the familiarity curve and repeatedly thrown into games with multi-paragon (or whatever they call it) players, throwing insufferable lag on top of that made it more trouble than it was worth every time I almost started to get into it.
Actually, it's only hosted on dedicated servers. There's no peer-to-peer connection of any kind.

Perhaps your data center region was set incorrectly in game. That would force you to connect to otherwise non-optimal servers.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
Ok, Titanfall, ok. I'm reinstalling you to my hard-drive now, but you better not dissapoint me. Again.
That's right, get this sh*t to be fun and exciting and I might even think about buying your DLC (when it is on sale).

No promises, though.

[EDIT] God-damnit, Titanfall! I forgot how fat of a **** you are. Seriously, this better be ******* worth it.

.......taking up 60 gigs of HD-space..... *grumble mumble*

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Welp. It's addictive as hell.

The new mode just sucked nearly three hours of my life away. I can foresee playing this quite a bit with friends.

At least, for month or so.

Good job Respawn. This update is fantastic.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I will still pass on this as well, despite I have a soft spot for co-op games on the market. Put the game on Steam and you will have even more exposure for the game.

...But I'm not buying it at full price, the period of full price since release still is not the same 7 or so months after release. Disinflation and law of demand come into effect here.