What Are These Strange and Spooky Science Images?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
What Are These Strange and Spooky Science Images?

Can you guess the meaning behind these strangely bizarre science pictures?

Read Full Article

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Pink Fairy Armadillo"... Okay, this might be a great thing to start calling macho people you don't like, no?
It won't count as a swear, so I guess feel free to use it at church too! :p

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Not entirely sure I'd consider "Female Figure" to be science. It's 'art' designed solely to unsettle and provoke. There isn't much science going on there beyond the engineering the 'artist' used to make the thing work.

Don't get me wrong. It's an impressive (if questionable) bit of animatronics, nonetheless.

That aside, it's a fascinating list.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Not entirely sure I'd consider "Female Figure" to be science. It's 'art' designed solely to unsettle and provoke. There isn't much science going on there beyond the engineering the 'artist' used to make the thing work.

Don't get me wrong. It's an impressive (if questionable) bit of animatronics, nonetheless.

That aside, it's a fascinating list.
I get your meaning, but I'd say it still applies. Between the facial recognition and motion features, there's a lot of science behind simply getting this "art" to run correctly.

Although even if that weren't the case, this is the "Science & Tech" channel, and that is a highly unique piece of tech.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Fanghawk said:
I get your meaning, but I'd say it still applies. Between the facial recognition and motion features, there's a lot of science behind simply getting this "art" to run correctly.

Although even if that weren't the case, this is the "Science & Tech" channel, and that is a highly unique piece of tech.
Fair 'nough. I actually agree that it fits with the theme of the channel. I even pointed out the impressive[footnote]The fingers, especially.[/footnote] technology behind it.

It was more a case of "One of these things is not like the others."

Though, I'm still left wondering what the point of the piece is. Generally, art of this type is meant as an expression of feeling or thought. It's intended to elicit a specific emotional response or to convey a sociological message from the artist.

Perhaps I'm just too obtuse, but I don't see the purpose behind the piece. It feels, to me, to be provocative art for the sake of provocative art.

Unless the goal was simply to weird people out. In which case....kudos to the artist.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Something tells me "Female Figure" won't be <link=www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137919-Virtual-Pop-Singer-Hatsune-Miku-US-Television-Debut-David-Letterman>appearing on Letterman anytime soon... Still, moves less creepily than a Geminoid.