Star Wars: Rebels Pulls Off Its First Near-Perfect Episode

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Star Wars: Rebels Pulls Off Its First Near-Perfect Episode

Between clever character developments and a chilling new villain, Star Wars: Rebels has finally gone from being good to being great.

Read Full Article

owbu

Feb 14, 2011
Question!
I stoped watching after like 15 minutes of the first episode, because I was pretty convinced that it was only for 10 year olds (jokes/theme and so on)
Is this worth watching, if you are not really into saturday morning cartoons?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Aye, it was very enjoyable indeed. I really enjoyed the Inquisitor, as he seems to embody many of the elements that made the Sith lords of the films so awesome (the predatory appearance and fighting prowess of Darth Maul, the eloquence of Darth Tyranus, and the confidence of Darth Vader). I liked how he was merely toying with Kanan during the lightsaber duel, like he was hardly worth the effort. While it ultimately led to the protagonists' escape, watching him confidently stride after his enemies instead of running was pretty badass.

As an aside, I like how the show is disregarding some of the more asinine elements the prequels introduced. For example, it seems quite clear that Kanan and Hera (the Twi'lek pilot) have a chemistry of sorts going on. I'm usually not the "shipping" type, but I like to think of them as husband and wife. I always disliked the celibacy bent the prequels introduced into the Jedi Order, particularly since the classic trilogy seems to emphasize that the Force tends to be strong with family bloodlines.

owbu said:
Question!
I stoped watching after like 15 minutes of the first episode, because I was pretty convinced that it was only for 10 year olds (jokes/theme and so on)
Is this worth watching, if you are not really into saturday morning cartoons?
Honestly, probably not. This is meant to be a "family-friendly" show, so they're probably not going to introduce many "mature" themes. It's Star Wars after all, a franchise that (with the exception of Revenge of the Sith and some of the old EU) is supposed to have an all-ages appeal.

Just because an entertainment medium is appropriate for kids doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it. But if you really can't stomach that sort of thing, then this show isn't for you.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I still play SWTOR. Do you think the creative team behind Rebels called the villain 'Inquisitor' as a nod to the game?

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
That spinning lightsaber handle that the inquisitor uses was freakin awesome, it made that whole episode for me. While its obvious that the show is indeed aimed at a teenager audience I think it still has a lot of elements that make it more then palatable for adults. So far my favorite character is definitely Hera because she provides the solid foundation for the group that helps keep everyone in good spirits while also keeping them focused. So far I am definitely liking what i am seeing with the show but I think it definitely needs just a little more focus on who the bad guys are and why they are to be feared, having background bad guys with little history doesn't an interesting story make.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I don't think the spinning lightsaber thing is just a gimmick as it seems to allow him to throw it like a boomerang.

Why is it that enemies that try to recruit people are more intimidating than those that just kill everyone?

I'm really hoping that that robot gets killed at some point. Its laugh is really annoying.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
I've enjoyed the series okay so far. My two year old and six year old love them and watch them over and over On Demand. It's decent enough for me, but my wife is bugged by the animation and doesn't really like them. I did like the "twist" in this one that sprung the trap. I was worried this show was just going to keep throwing familiar faces at us and I think for the first time my six year old really kind of understood the gravity of what had happened in Episode III and that this just isn't the Clone Wars cartoon.

I don't know if I would be watching this on my own, but I look forward to watching it with my boys every week.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
I don't think The Inquisitor has anything to do with the SWTOR class of the same name. His title seems more inspired by the Inquisitor, as his mandate from Darth Vader is to seek out and convert/destroy Jedi 'heretics'. His light saber I think is part gimmick, but would actually be useful against Jedi. Lightsaber fighting styles tend to be very refined into forms and predictable, as he mentioned while fighting Kanan in this episode. The ability to switch between a saber and saber staff on the fly throws off those forms, and then start spinning would completely break things for people used to traditional fighting forms. Throwing the light saber was not a trick of his weapon though, it's a Force technique that a lot of combat-oriented Force users learn.

I look forward to the show. I kind of felt that Fighter Flight was a bit early for a mostly filler episode, even if it did show some character development for Ezra and Zeb. This episode really did have the feel of upping the stakes for our rebel crew. They now have two enemies willing and able to spend some considerable resources to set up traps for them. They are clearly rising on the Empire's 'to kill' list.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Burnouts3s3 said:
I still play SWTOR. Do you think the creative team behind Rebels called the villain 'Inquisitor' as a nod to the game?
More likely it's a nod to the old EU instead:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisitorius

The show's full of call-outs to the old EU, from the walkers [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Security_Bureau] that patrol Lothal. It's great for fans like myself who grew up with the EU back in the 90's.

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
More likely it's a nod to the old EU instead:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisitorius

The show's full of call-outs to the old EU, from the walkers [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Security_Bureau] that patrol Lothal. It's great for fans like myself who grew up with the EU back in the 90's.
SWTOR took the inquisitor class more from the existing SW lore as well.

Other reference from the ep on the news was to a Base Delta Zero, which in Star Wars old cannon was "glass a planet."

You know, for kids!

But yes, the show is filled with references. The producers of the show talked about it at Star Wars Weekends down in Disneyworld this year, about how they grew up reading that stuff and were gonna be making references and adding stuff back into the official cannon wherever they felt it would be good/appropriate.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Very much enjoyed the episode and all its little nods to continuity, but if I have one tiny little nitpick...

Form III is supposed to be purely defensive. If Kanan were relying on it to a "ridiculous degree" he wouldn't be attacking at all. Instead, he seems to be quite aggressive.

But hey, I'm just impressed they brought in lightsaber forms at all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I can say for one thing is that this episode was ALOT better than last week! The only part that annoying me were using some line from the film during the training, I mean those lines weren't that great in the film!

Also the Inquisitor lightsaber gimmick may seen cool but it's impratical as hell unless he has some kind of a wrist problem or he's just too lazy to swing his lighsaber across the wall! I mean while the spin will deflect any lazer toward him but the handle is vulnerable cos the lightsaber doesn't cover that part but in saying so he does move his hand alot so it won't be a clear shot!

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Well I can say for one thing is that this episode was ALOT better than last week! The only part that annoying me were using some line from the film during the training, I mean those lines weren't that great in the film!

Also the Inquisitor lightsaber gimmick may seen cool but it's impratical as hell unless he has some kind of a wrist problem or he's just too lazy to swing his lighsaber across the wall! I mean while the spin will deflect any lazer toward him but the handle is vulnerable cos the lightsaber doesn't cover that part but in saying so he does move his hand alot so it won't be a clear shot!
Apparently, I forgot where I read it but, the lightsaber spin function isn't really meant to have any major combat application. Rather, its purpose is to intimidate and unnerve inexperienced jedi and make them lose focus during a fight.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
While I liked the episode overall (and the show in general seems to be going in a good direction), I'm not that into the character of the Inquisitor, for several reasons.

First, the teeth. Seriously, does this not bother anyone else? His upper teeth look like they are slightly in front, like he has a bit of an overbite. They are also larger than his bottom teeth, and pointed, but they don't look fang-like (which I assume they were going for), he just kinda looks like a rodent. It totally undermines any sense of menace the character might have about him...

Second, the lightsaber. At first, it was cool, with the handguard and all. Then it had the second blade, and that was alright, I guess, though it did seem dreadfully impractical, with such a small grip (Darth Maul's dual saber had a decently sized grip to work with). But when it started to spin, it kinda lost me. It just seemed needlessly overdesigned and gimmicky at that point. Combined with the rodent teeth mentioned above, the character started sliding into the realm of caricature for me.

Finally, where the fuck did that fucker come from? Where was he all this time? Does Amazon deliver Dark Jedi on demand now? He can't be Sith, since there aren't many of those and they are all accounted for (Maul, Dooko, Assaj, Sidious, Vader). Sure, there are other force users out there, and grabbing one up and shoving a lightsaber into his hands isn't unreasonable, but this ************ seems quite experienced. He'd better have damn good backstory...

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Jandau said:
While I liked the episode overall (and the show in general seems to be going in a good direction), I'm not that into the character of the Inquisitor, for several reasons.

First, the teeth. Seriously, does this not bother anyone else? His upper teeth look like they are slightly in front, like he has a bit of an overbite. They are also larger than his bottom teeth, and pointed, but they don't look fang-like (which I assume they were going for), he just kinda looks like a rodent. It totally undermines any sense of menace the character might have about him...

Second, the lightsaber. At first, it was cool, with the handguard and all. Then it had the second blade, and that was alright, I guess, though it did seem dreadfully impractical, with such a small grip (Darth Maul's dual saber had a decently sized grip to work with). But when it started to spin, it kinda lost me. It just seemed needlessly overdesigned and gimmicky at that point. Combined with the rodent teeth mentioned above, the character started sliding into the realm of caricature for me.

Finally, where the fuck did that fucker come from? Where was he all this time? Does Amazon deliver Dark Jedi on demand now? He can't be Sith, since there aren't many of those and they are all accounted for (Maul, Dooko, Assaj, Sidious, Vader). Sure, there are other force users out there, and grabbing one up and shoving a lightsaber into his hands isn't unreasonable, but this ************ seems quite experienced. He'd better have damn good backstory...
He is a bit of a forceuser but I think in his introduction they made quite sure people knew he wasn't a sith or a jedi. He was taught force-techniques for the purpose of his position, and had affinity for it. Considering his mandate to hunt/convert jedi is from Darth Vader his training in said force-techniques most likely also came from Skywalker.

Overall I think in the scope of the entire empire he is probably a minor bad guy. Darth Vader led the efforts to hunt down the remaining Jedi so the Inquisitor is more like that one guy he outsourced some work to so he could get his sundays off.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Jandau said:

He's a Pau'an. I noticed the teeth thing with them when they appeared in Revenge of the Sith. I recognized his race when he was first introduced and remembered they have kinda rodent like teeth. The overbite thing was something I only noticed when someone pointed it out on /co/, but it didn't really bother me.

This is kind of a raw issue for me. The whole "practicality" thing regarding lightsabers is something I understand to a degree... but still find rather foolish when fans debate it. A sword of light that can cut through anything is impractical in and of itself. One brush against the user and you could loose chunks of yourself or even a limb. A spinning blade only compounds the already present issue. But even granting that, it's still possible to go too far with it.

That said, I too raised my eyebrow a bit, but ultimately decided to let it slide for basically two reasons. One, I've seen far worse in the EU (as is the case for just about everything in Star Wars). There was a woman who had a lightsaber whip, Lumiya I think. That was too much. Then there was the one woman in Force Unleashed who had two guard sabers that she held waaaaaay too close to her forearms. One blocked hit with those and you can kiss your arms goodbye. Two, he's voiced by Jason Isaacs and is portrayed in such an arrogant and posh manner it makes him seem like he is proficient at his job.

He's just an inquisitor, something that was part of the EU. Jerec, the villian in Dark Forces II was also an inquisitor. He was a Dark Jedi, but there is also a difference between a Dark Jedi and a Sith. The inquisitor in Rebels is neither a Dark Jedi, or a Sith. He's just a government offical trained in some of their arts. The Sith and Jedi are for all intents and purposes religions. To be called either is to be part of their culture, know their mantras, codes and respect them at least to some degree. Have a knowledge of their lore and practice their customs. From what I've read the inquisitor doesn't really do any of that, and he really doesn't care. He's just doing a job and using the dark side.

To me it makes perfect sense. Organizations of all types do it all the time. Fraternities, Biker clubs, businesses, and governments. When you have a structure to work within you delegate. Vader has more important things to do than fly the Executor to every planet where someone thinks they maybe saw what might have been a Jedi. Just get someone else to do it. Train them enough to be capable, but don't let them fully into the fold.