The Next Big Battlefield Game Won't Hit Until Holiday 2016

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
The Next Big Battlefield Game Won't Hit Until Holiday 2016

Electronic Arts is giving the Battlefield series a rest until at least Holiday 2016.

In an earnings call on Tuesday, Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson stated that the next main installment of the Battlefield series would not release until the Q3 2017 EA fiscal year, which wraps up at the end of December 2016. While no other comments were made, analysts had predicted this move and the reasons behind it recently.

With the release of Battlefield 3 in October 2011 and Battlefield 4 in October 2013 being right at two years between games, analysts predicted that EA would want to let the series rest for an additional year so as not to create franchise fatigue. Another concern predicted for EA is the release of Star Wars: Battlefront, EA's first big AAA Star Wars game since their acquiring of the license to produce Star Wars games from Disney in mid 2013.

Wilson also explained that the delay would allow eager players more time to "enjoy Battlefield Hardline," which is launching March 17, 2015 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138278-Battlefield-Hardline-Will-Launch-Next-March].

These comments go a long way in cementing EA's stance when it comes to Battlefield, as the company has previously denounced annualizing its flagship shooter series like Activision has done with the Call of Duty franchise.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-5-delay-good-for-the-franchise-analyst/1100-6423247/]

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
The next battlefield game comes out holidays 2015... and is star wars skinned that's why they are skipping a year.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Looks like I'll be waiting a while for another Battlefield then, I've got zero interest in Hardline. The beta was just a mess of smoke, campers and shotguns. Not my cup of tea at all...

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
For the love of god let it be like BC, and not over-saturated with poorly thought out design choices (fucking mortars and claymores...)

In fact, let it be Bad Company 3. Atleast 2 it had a proper fucking campaign. And worked when it came out. Actaully, BC2 worked while it was in beta. Better than BF4 for most of it's lifespan.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Not for nothin' but...wasn't this already reported on? In the article stating that Star Wars: Battlefront would release next year?

"May the Force be with you," Tweeted the official EA Twitter, "Star Wars Battlefront will release for Holiday 2015." In its annual earnings call, EA stated that Battlefront would be the focus for 2015, and that Battlefield 5 (or whatever it is that comes after Hardline) won't be released until fall 2016 at the earliest.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138273-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Launching-in-Holiday-2015

:p

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Good. There's really no reason to release a whole new Battlefield game, especially one based in the modern military, so frequently. The game itself has a lot going for it as it is and it would benefit from a longer support period.

Making a new modern military Battlefield so soon makes me wonder what could they really improve upon to justify the release

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
dealzon said:
Probably a good thing.

Give yourself some time to develop things. Sheesh.
Lol. They're probably not going to use any of the extra time for the next Battlefield since they have Battlefront 3 and Mirror's Edge to work on as well. They're going to rush out the development within a year and release it buggy as shit. They never learn because us consumers never learn.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
good. that way they would be able to make things right instead releasing a half asses game that doesnt work. no interest in hardline anyway.
i just hope dice doesnt abandon mirrors edge 2. thats a game im really looking forward to.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Good. There's really no reason to release a whole new Battlefield game
Except they are doing just that, and calling it "hardline." They even couldn't help throwing "Battlefield" in the title. I guess they figured "it's so obviously a mod/expansion pack, why bother being cheeky."

And I reserve judgment as to whether or not Star Wars will be truly a game with it's own identity, or BF4 reskinned.