Nintendo Explores Sleep Analysis with 'Quality of Life' Initiative

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Nintendo Explores Sleep Analysis with 'Quality of Life' Initiative

Nintendo has revealed the very first product to carry its "Quality of Life" name, and it will measure sleep and fatigue.

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata recently showcased the first product in Nintendo's "Quality of Life" platform, which is a device meant to measure a user's sleeping patterns. The device was designed in conjunction with ResMed, a company headquartered in San Diego, CA that specializes in manufacturing products to treat sleep disorders.

The device, unlike many sensors made by other sleep-analysis companies, does not need to be worn by the user. Instead the device will sit in a box by a user's bed and utilize a radio frequency sensor to measure breathing, heart rate, and periods of movement without needing to touch the user's body. Once the device collects the data it will be sent to cloud servers and analyzed and feedback will be provided to users with suggestions on what they can do to help them sleep more soundly.

Iwata did not reveal a release date or any details on the design of the sensor, but added that data from the sensor would be accessible from game systems, smartphones, and tablets, explaining that the sensor itself will send information to the Quality of Life cloud, which encompasses the aforementioned platforms.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/479658/nintendos-first-quality-of-life-product-will-analyse-sleep/]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh! I get it! It all makes sense now!
Nintendo is giving up the whole gaming company thing and instead going for sleep aids! That explains the last few years. Man, now I might actually get a Wii U now.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Despite going through relatively difficult financial times, nintendo continues to innovate. Good on them.

Meanwhile ps4 and xbox one continue to seem way too comparable to last gen

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Dendio said:
Meanwhile ps4 and xbox one continue to seem way too comparable to last gen
You know, it's a little funny that you say that because people have been complaining that the Xbox One is not enough of a gaming console. Not enough "last gen."

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
You know, it's a little funny that you say that because people have been complaining that the Xbox One is not enough of a gaming console. Not enough "last gen."
Awwww man, I hate it when there's more than one opinion on something.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I don't care what they branch out into, Japan has enough weird gadgets that are sorta niche even there, but might be popular across the globe someday. I just hope they don't partner with a company like Apple or Facebook on anything like this.
Sleep tight, or you'll meet with a terrible fate.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Doesn't anybody remember the Wii Vitality Sensor and how stupid that was, and how it never got off the ground?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Silentpony said:
Nintendo is giving up the whole gaming company thing and instead going for sleep aids! That explains the last few years. Man, now I might actually get a Wii U now.
Nintendo has dipped it's toe into non-gaming, health related stuff before.

So this isn't really that big a shock.

martyrdrebel27 said:
Doesn't anybody remember the Wii Vitality Sensor and how stupid that was, and how it never got off the ground?
Actually, if they had managed to make it unobtrusive, I could imagine it being really good for horror games. Of course we'll never know.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
Because if at first you don't succeed, fuck it, trying is too hard.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Because if at first you don't succeed, fuck it, trying is too hard.
that's not even what I was saying, but even if it was, they aren't trying the same thing and fuck it, I dont even have time to explain why I dont have time to explain what I was saying.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Silentpony said:
This is hardly the first time they have done this. This is only the first time they tried to make a separate brand name out of it.

In the GBA era they had a a device where the more the kid played the game the more anesthesia was given to them until they fell asleep or relaxed enough to go to sleep.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
I'm really excited about this news. Since I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and began treatment with a ResMed CPAP device, my quality of sleep, life and even my mood and general disposition for work improved greatly. I will buy this gadget, since every investment I made in my sleep quality yielded many fold in money and happiness.

Kudos for Nintendo. Now I am able to live a productive life and play my games happily.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I like this news. Nintendo diversifying and innovating in new technology otuside of gaming is a good thing. When a company has more than one division it can weather the storm much easier and GabeN know Nintendo can afford to innovate in a non-gaming field too.

Besides, maybe something actually useful come out of it too which is great.