New Pikachu Floating Over NYC in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
New Pikachu Floating Over NYC in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

The electric mouse Pokemon will be sporting a new holiday look when he floats through New York City alongside Thomas the Tank Engine and the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Like it or not, November is here, which means we're barreling towards the holidays at an alarming rate. First up is Thanksgiving, which comes with its own traditions: yelling at football, eating turkey until you pass out, and watching a parade of character-shaped balloons float over New York City during Macy's annual Thanksgiving Day parade. Pikachu, one of the most geek-centric displays in the spectacle, is about to float for the 15th year, but this year, he'll be sporting a festive new look and carrying a Pikachu snowman.

But wait, Pikachu isn't the only gaming character taking up space on the promotional poster for the yearly parade--right behind him is Eruptor of Skylanders fame. They're just two characters in a long legacy of the Thanksgiving Day Parade's nerdy line-up; other famously geeky floats include Spider-Man and Sonic the Hedgehog, the latter of which was the first video game character in the parade's history when he debuted in 1993.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade airs live on Thursday, November 27. And if that's too long a wait, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138233-Nintendo-Pokemon-Omega-Ruby-and-Alpha-Sapphire-Dual-Pack] will be out on November 21.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Cute though I wish that Skylanders was Spyro.
*sigh*

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
You know, now that I think about it I haven't watched the parade in a good, long time. In previous years I always seem to either sleep in (I'm terrible at getting up in the mornings) or just don't seem to catch the program for one reason or another.

I'm going to fix that this year. I genuinely want to see the parade.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Surely it's not holding a snowman, but rather a snowchu?

Anyway, I wasn't aware that this was a thing, mostly because Thanksgiving is only a thing in one country. Looks fun though.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
That's always a nice thing to see Pikachu at the parade. I figured there may have been a chance they would make a Groudon and Kyogre statue like they did for Reshiram and Zekrom. If there is a good place for marketing, that parade is certainly one of them.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Story said:
Cute though I wish that Skylanders was Spyro.
*sigh*
I remember when they were first introducing the Skylanders series and Activision was using Spyro as its mascot since Spyro was a recognized character...then once they got their market they threw Spyro into that closet they are keeping Crash Bandicoot in. It's like how Sony seems to have thrown the Ape Escape franchise in the closet and how Nintendo has thrown poor Captain Falcon in their closet equivalent as well. T^T
*note that list of characters is due to games I want made, but possibly won't get made*

OT: Eh, I don't care if Pikachu is the mascot, I still want my god damn Eevee balloon. I will champion that Eevee should be the Pokemon mascot until I'm dead! >.<

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Neronium said:
OT: Eh, I don't care if Pikachu is the mascot, I still want my god damn Eevee balloon. I will champion that Eevee should be the Pokemon mascot until I'm dead! >.<
As much as Eevee would make a lot of sense, by itself it's not a really a special Pokemon. Since everyone is excited to turn Eevee into something else, it would not make a very good mascot. Obviously Pikachu isn't a super powerful Pokemon, or useful overall, but it has more going for it staying as a Pikachu than an Eevee just staying as an Eevee.

Of course if Ash had an Eevee that could temporarily evolve into a stronger form, and switch back outside of battle, then it would make a great mascot for the show, and series in general. Eevee is still cute and cuddly for sure, but Pikachu has a more fantastical appearance. I feel like I could run into a real life Eevee, and not feel amazed, but a big yellow mouse with electric powers? That would be interesting to say the least.

Honestly, I'm just glad they did not go with Clefairy at this point. I never found it cute, and it always bugged me for some reason. XD

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
Neronium said:
As much as Eevee would make a lot of sense, by itself it's not a really a special Pokemon. Since everyone is excited to turn Eevee into something else, it would not make a very good mascot. Obviously Pikachu isn't a super powerful Pokemon, or useful overall, but it has more going for it staying as a Pikachu than an Eevee just staying as an Eevee.

Of course if Ash had an Eevee that could temporarily evolve into a stronger form, and switch back outside of battle, then it would make a great mascot for the show, and series in general. Eevee is still cute and cuddly for sure, but Pikachu has a more fantastical appearance. I feel like I could run into a real life Eevee, and not feel amazed, but a big yellow mouse with electric powers? That would be interesting to say the least.

Honestly, I'm just glad they did not go with Clefairy at this point. I never found it cute, and it always bugged me for some reason. XD
My main thing is that Pikachu has been forever tarnished due to the anime's reluctance to change protagonists. Seriously, I mean since every new region Ash decides to "start over" they could have just replaced him with the actual protagonists from the games. Not to mention, everyone else around Ash seems to grow up just fine, but Ash just remains the same, hell even Gary is better off now.

I think this comic summarizes it best:

I recommend Kakujoe's comics, they're funny. :3

Not to mention that somehow that idiot of a trainer managed to lose to a level 5 Snivy...there is a point in which you should give up son, and that is that point.

As for Cleffariy, yeah I don't even see them as cute as all so no go on that one. Eevee's on the other hand I find adorable so I'm biased to the extreme. XD

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Neronium said:
My main thing is that Pikachu has been forever tarnished due to the anime's reluctance to change protagonists. Seriously, I mean since every new region Ash decides to "start over" they could have just replaced him with the actual protagonists from the games. Not to mention, everyone else around Ash seems to grow up just fine, but Ash just remains the same, hell even Gary is better off now.

I think this comic summarizes it best:

I recommend Kakujoe's comics, they're funny. :3

Not to mention that somehow that idiot of a trainer managed to lose to a level 5 Snivy...there is a point in which you should give up son, and that is that point.

As for Cleffariy, yeah I don't even see them as cute as all so no go on that one. Eevee's on the other hand I find adorable so I'm biased to the extreme. XD
I certainly agree that the anime should change protagonists, making it like the Pokemon Adventures manga would be the best course of action. I know one of Red's main Pokemon is a Pikachu, but it would be out of the spotlight once they change main characters. I would be fine with a Pokemon Origins special for each region too of course.

As for losing to Snivy, I think it made sense. Snivy (along with Serperior and Servine) IS one of the best Pokemon in existence. :p Also looking into it, apparently Zekrom's lightning just so happened to hit Pikachu when Ash first got to Unova causing it to lose a lot of its power. It's a dumb excuse, but at least they made an effort to explain it I suppose.