Mother and 9-Year-Old Daughter Grow Closer Through Cosplay

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Mother and 9-Year-Old Daughter Grow Closer Through Cosplay

Since being adopted, Alice Lewis has found a love for modeling and cosplay, dressing up as her favorite women in fiction and history.

Alice Lewis jumped from one foster home to another until she found her home with photographer Kelly Lewis. After her adoption, Alice decided to take on the name of the main character from Lewis Carroll's book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Finding a love for modeling and dressing up, Alice explores her identity through cosplaying.

Kelly has noted Alice enjoys sharing her adoption story and hopes that it will inspire other hopeful parents to adopt children. Kelly was inspired to adopt Alice two years ago after reading another child's adoption story.

"When you've had six mother figures before the age of seven it's a pretty big deal when you get adopted into a forever home," Kelly said on people's reactions to her focus on Alice's adoption [http://kellyisnice.tumblr.com/post/101397148896/the-misadventures-of-a-little-girl-adopted-into-a-mad]. "It's life changing in the best possible way. Alice loves sharing her story so that others might get inspired to adopt a child, an older one at that... We didn't have a natural maternal link - we created one the best way we knew how and it's stronger that I could have ever imagined."

Alice has cosplayed as Wonder Woman, Joan of Arc, Marie Antoinette, Alice from Alice in Wonderland, Margot Tenenbaum from Wes Anderson's film The Royal Tenenbaums, Edward Scissorhands, Coraline from Coraline, Wednesday Addams from The Addams Family, and many more.

[gallery=3460]

With her mother's stunning photography and use of props, Alice is able to explore different characters and different worlds, expressing her love for modeling. She hopes to become a model and an actress someday. Kelly and Alice will dress up together occasionally, such as the mother and daughter from The Addams Family.

More of Malice of Alice. [http://www.kellyisnice.com/]

Source: My Modern Met [http://www.maliceofalice.com/]

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
God damn that's fucking adorable. So adorable I need to needlessly swear over it! Fuckshittles!
[SUB]sorry[/SUB]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Awesome story, and inspirational. I just love everything about this, don't know why but its awesome. Full of awesome, and something I'll be sharing with friends, whether they want it or not.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Wow, these are actually really good shots. Her and her mom are both quite talented. She definitely has the "disinterested stare" thing that all models apparently need to have mastered, but it's good to see at least one photo where she demonstrates an ability to smile.

I wasn't entirely sure what was going on with the pink curls and the cupcake, but a quick Google image search revealed it's Marie Antoinette which... is just perfect. That makes it my favorite of the lot.