Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity Unavailable on Steam in The UK - Only uPlay

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity Unavailable on Steam in The UK - Only uPlay

PC gamers in the UK will have to use Ubisoft's uPlay platform if they want to buy Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, or The Crew digitally.

Three of Ubisoft's biggest upcoming releases will not be available on the PC's biggest digital distribution platform when they launch in the UK this holiday season. Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, and The Crew launch on November 20, November 13, and December 2 respectively, and will only be available to purchase digitally via Ubisoft's proprietary uPlay platform, or other independent retailers such as Green Man Gaming [http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/action/assassins-creed-unity/].

"We've been in discussions with Valve about Assassin's Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK," Ubisoft told Uplay store [http://www.pcgamesn.com/assassins-creed-unity/ubisoft-s-new-games-arent-available-on-steam-in-the-uk-uk-customers-wishing-to-purchase-the-game-digitally-can-do-so-by-visiting-the-uplay-store], our retail partners or other digital distributors."

It's worth noting that even if you purchase these games from independent retailers, you will still need to install the uPlay client to play them.

Ubisoft failed to give an official reason for why the game is unavailable on Steam, but PCGamesN has theorized it is a pricing issue. Currently, a digital version of the PC version of Assassin's Creed: Unity is available online for £49.99 from both Ubisoft's own store uPlay. However, the most expensive retail games on Steam UK right now are Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, and South Park: The Stick of Truth which are selling for £39.99.

For the record, £49.99 British pounds converts to $77.63 U.S. dollars. Assassin's Creed: Unity is currently selling for $59.99 on the U.S. Steam store.

Hopefully, this all gets sorted out, and the games will become available on Steam once again.

Source: PCGamesN [http://www.pcgamesn.com/assassins-creed-unity/ubisoft-s-new-games-arent-available-on-steam-in-the-uk-uk-customers-wishing-to-purchase-the-game-digitally-can-do-so-by-visiting-the-uplay-store]

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Everything Ubisoft has been saying and doing over the last few months. It's like they don't want our money. I have tolerated Uplay in the past but forcing me to start buying stuff directly for a higher price. They can fuck right off.

EDIT:
Just spotted the price difference at the end of the artical. Never realised how much of a difference we have to pay sometimes. And if it is that bad for us I am guessing that Australia is going to get REALLY screwed.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I'm just waiting for the exodus. I long for the days when my gaming experience and my shopping experience aren't so closely intertwined.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Wow. Charging an extra £10 just because they can, on a service the world has collectively agreed is garbage, and said they would get rid of.

I feel sorry for the devs who make a really good game that I don't want to buy out of spite for that company.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
I'm guessing Valve told Ubisoft to stop forcing uplay on their customers, which made Ubi angry so they took their ball and went home.
Also, they have been removed from US market as well.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well it has been sort of obvious for weeks that Far Cry 4 and AC:U havent been available for preorder on Steam for the past few months. Lord knows Ubisoft wants to push its preorders.

But i dont believe that pricing is the issue. As far as i know theres nothing thats actually stopping the big publishers from price gouging in the UK, nor does Valve have any reason to turn down three of the years biggest releases.

Any chance of getting a word out of Valve on why this is happening though?

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Oh no... I shall cry myself to sleep tonight knowing alas that i shall never play those games now...

For the record I only own Farcry Blood Dragon(got free with a graphics card) and Valliant hearts(good little game I bought in the steam sale) and that shall it seems be everything i'll now ever own, god I hold a large about of contempt for Ubisoft.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
It's totally pointless to sign into 2 DRM services anyway.
Why people are so stupid to buy Origin or Ubi games on STEAM is beyond me!

So Ubi just did the right consequential thing... for the most assholish reasons.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Remember kids, Kinguin is your friend. [link]www.kinguin.net[/link]

Filthy fuckers trying to charge more for no extra work.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Brian Tams said:
Like, I usually don't condone piracy in games, but...

Go ahead. Go nuts, Piraters. Loot that booty as hard as you can.

...that sounded better in my head.
... ... ... You are seriously saying that...? The nonsense people are coming out with due to this perceived slight against Valve is just madness.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Why does anything need to be sorted out? It's Ubisoft's product and they can sell it wherever they damn please. I feel for my English gamers and the fact they have to pay more, I don't agree with that at all. But the fact people are whining that it isn't on Steam are being just as childish as Ubisoft.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Turns out they're gone from all of Steam. I wonder what's caused this to happen. Can't be the pricing because although being pricey I don't think it's illegal and Valve have been more than happy to sell games that break the law in the past. Can't be the DRM either because there's plenty of others with 3rd part DRM. Might be a similar situation to when Valve forced EA off of Steam.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Rozalia1 said:
Brian Tams said:

... ... ... You are seriously saying that...? The nonsense people are coming out with due to this perceived slight against Valve is just madness.
I was really just saying that so I could make the socially awkward "booty" joke.

You have no idea how long I've held onto that one.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow. just amazing.
i pre ordered unity from origin because its on discount and because im just a AC fan. so far origin is faster with downloading than uplay or steam. i did purchase blooddragon from uplay since it was cheaper than the retail version and i did had some issues with purchasing it and the installation took ages.
otherwise i dont really have any issues with uplay it self. it didnt cause any problems for me. i did purchase revelations and liberty from steam and it ran perfectly fine over uplay, so as child of light (which is still my game of the year). but i do understand the frustration and anger others have towards this scheme.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Origin gets a lot of shit, and it isn't really justified anymore. Uplay is the bane of my existence. The UI is dreadful, it forces you to use it to launch a game even if you have it on another service, and for whatever reason, whenever I try to download something, the speed always plummets to 0b/s whenever I am not actively tabbed into and clicked on Uplay, which means it takes hours to download pretty much anything, and I can't do anything whilst I wait. Dreadful. Dreadful. Dreadful. Not looking forward to this one. Ubisoft are just trying as hard as they possibly can to give us PC gamers the shaft.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
They are going to get such a shit storm, that i wouldn't be surprised to hear in a couple of weeks, or months, that they suddenly appear on steam and they say we had it planned all a long.

Good thing i play AC games on my consoles but hell, Ubi that is seriously bad.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
Everything Ubisoft has been saying and doing over the last few months. It's like they don't want our money. I have tolerated Uplay in the past but forcing me to start buying stuff directly for a higher price. They can fuck right off.
I don't even tolerate uPlay. I can't trust it after it went down for the entirety of December 2012. Since it seems to still be required to the point of games not even being offered on Steam (in the U.S., too), I'm not getting Far Cry 4 nor AC: Unity. Maybe on PS4, but I doubt it. Ubisoft does not deserve my money for these mismanaged next-gen games.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Brian Tams said:
Rozalia1 said:
Brian Tams said:

I was really just saying that so I could make the socially awkward "booty" joke.

You have no idea how long I've held onto that one.
Long enough for it to be awkward and make eye-contact with the owner of the booty your holding onto?

Also OT, it's less about the slight to Valve more the slight to Gamers. If Ubi are genuinely saying the game won't distribute through Steam so they can push uPlay AND jack the price up then well... they can frankly go to hell. Speaking as a damn console peasant, I think that's shitty.