Gorgeous: Planet Formation Captured in Stunning Photo

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Gorgeous: Planet Formation Captured in Stunning Photo

Astronomers have captured the "best image ever" of planet formation around a young star.

Best. Image. Ever.

You may expect to hear that from Comic Book Guy, but no - it's from a press release by the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, describing an image of planet formation around an infant star. Looking at the image captured by the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), it's difficult to argue.

The infant star is the Sun-like HL Tau, located 450 light-years from Earth in the constellation Taurus. Only one million years old, the apparent formation of planets around it has caught astronomers by surprise.

"...such young stars are not expected to have large planetary bodies capable of producing the structures we see in this image," said ALMA Deputy Director Stuartt Corder.

The structures to which Corder is referring are the concentric rings and black bands. When a solar system is forming around a young star, it begins as a cloud of dust that settles into a disk - not unlike around Saturn. Material in the spinning disk begins to coalesce into larger and larger objects, which "sweep" the area around them of dust as they orbit. Every black ring represents a new planet forming.

Check out the actual image relative to an artist's conception - it's difficult to decide which is more beautiful.

[gallery=3470]

HL Tau is actually concealed by a cloud of dust and gas - it cannot be seen by the naked eye, or even under the intense magnification of a telescope. But thankfully, ALMA doesn't just observe visible wavelengths of light - it can see into the ultraviolet and infrared as well, effectively seeing "through" the dust cloud and revealing HL Tau behind it.

"This is truly one of the most remarkable images ever seen at these wavelengths," said NRAO astronomer Crystal Brogan. "The level of detail is so exquisite that it's even more impressive than many optical images."

ALMA's high-resolution capabilities are equivalent to seeing a penny from more than 68 miles away.

In other recent an object once believed to be a dust cloud survived a close encounter with a black hole [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/astronomy] without being torn apart.

Source: National Radio Astronomy Observatory [https://public.nrao.edu/news/pressreleases/planet-formation-alma]

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Suns these days. So impatient! Why, back in MY day, we didn't start coalescing our accretion disks into planets until we were AT LEAST two million years old. Sometimes even three! They're much too young to have solar systems!

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Suns these days. So impatient! Why, back in MY day, we didn't start coalescing our accretion disks into planets until we were AT LEAST two million years old. Sometimes even three! They're much too young to have solar systems!
Hahah, I especially appreciate that you knew the proper terminology to throw around.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I have to admit, that's a pretty sexy image. I think it's the imagery of space that got me interested in it before science fiction.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
On the one hand, I know such images of space usually come out as monochrome first, and are colored digitally afterwards. And I know that planet formation would likely not be a kaleidoscope of color.

On the other hand.....prettyyyyyyy.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
I believe this belongs here

Got to love what we can do today, Galalao would shit his pants if he could see what we have don with his 'telescope' technomancy he helped develop. I think he would be so proud.

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
450 light-years is pretty close to us. That means that this is happening pretty much *right now* in terms of planetary time. Quite precisely, we're seeing something as it was happening when Galileo was born.
Amazing that we can see that.

On the other hand, apart from better resolution and more wavelengths to see, that image souldn't change much in the next few million years... So we have something to follow and watch unfold for the next 40,000 generations at least. Neat.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
For people who have a heart for exploring what's "out there", this is stunningly beautiful.

on a side note: I expect the colour to be a simple change from black/white infrared and ultraviolet pictures into this
red/yellowish colors corresponding with the intensity of the
radiation the telescope has observed.
In the end, every picture we see from Hubble or Radio Telescopes are compositions of different images from different wavelengths.
Infrared, Ultraviolet, x-ray, gamma ray, all that combined gives us these stunning images.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
Stuff like this makes me hopeful that one day we might invent something capable of letting us see exoplanets in detail. I know that seems far-fetched, but less than twenty five years ago just detecting them at all was barely possible. We won't get a probe out of our solar system any time soon- certainly not in any of our lifetimes- so advances in telescope and detection technology is what excites me.