See Heroes of The Storm's Sky Temple, Thrall, Jaina, and Lost Vikings in Action

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
See Heroes of The Storm's Sky Temple, Thrall, Jaina, and Lost Vikings in Action

In Sky Temple, you will fight to control temples, which when held unleash a blistering onslaught on your enemy's forts.

At BlizzCon 2014, Blizzard talked up its currently-in-alpha MOBA: Heroes of The Storm. In addition to revealing new heroes and the closed beta release date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138477-Heroes-of-the-Storm-Reveals-Jaina-Thrall-and-Lost-Vikings-Heroes], a few new maps were also unveiled. Tomb of the Spider Queen, where you kill minions and collect gems to summons the spider queen, and Sky Temple, where you fight to control Temples which unleash damage on your opponent's forts when held.

We've now got a few more assets and information on Sky Temple. First up, check out some screenshots of the upcoming level, as well as Thrall, Jaina and The Lost Vikings in action, below:

[gallery=3478]

In Sky Temple, temples will periodically spawn on the map. If you stand within their grounds, you capture their power, which causes a surge of power to constantly damage your enemy's forts. But beware! As well as having to fight off players on the enemy team, NPC Guardians will try to wrest control of the temples back from you.

In addition to the new maps, Blizzard also revealed a couple of new features - draft mode, and obeserver mode. While these modes are standard to most MOBAs, its the first time we're seeing them in Heroes of The Storm. Check them out below:

[gallery=3479]

Lastly, we've got this awesomely detailed map of the Sky Temple level. Be sure to click the image for the full-sized version:

[http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/844/844758.jpg]

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well alright, a new map. That's more significant than some jungle changes.
You know what's even more significant than that? How about the entire game shutting down.

When will you on your fine news website finally mention the news that dawngate will shut down in 3 months?
It's not like you have been known for being above criticizing EA so far.
Come on already, it can't be that I wouldn't even know of this if I relied on you for information and dawngate isn't exactly small.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
loa said:
You know what's even more significant than that? How about the entire game shutting down.

When will you on your fine news website finally mention the news that dawngate will shut down in 3 months?
Come on already, it can't be that I wouldn't even know of this if I relied on you for information and dawngate isn't exactly small.
Nobody cares about dawngate. That's why it's shutting down. People care about heroes of the storm and league of legends.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
loa said:

Nobody cares about dawngate. That's why it's shutting down. People care about heroes of the storm and league of legends.
Somewhere Grey is giving you the evil eye.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Oh I see so where are your numbers to back that claim up because other sources described that event with words such as "surprising", "stunning" etc. implying that the game did just fine beforehand (which it did) and I couldn't find any definite numbers on how large exactly the playerbase is, if and by how much it declined, what exactly the goals that were not met are but I guess I can trust your gut feeling on what "people" -a group that seems to exclude me- care about.

Let's get real.
You don't wanna write it because you personally don't care, fine, have someone else do it.
But don't give me that corporate "people don't care about X" bullshit, especially since the escapist just dies to put every little fuckup EA does on their site and I don't see why "EA kills dawngate" would be where you draw your magical line in the sand.
What I get out of this is that I can't rely on you to keep me informed about the games I care about, even if they are medium-large sized non-indie titles.

Sorry for the off topic but, well, ain't no place where this would be "on topic" so far.

War_Dyn27

Jan 22, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
loa said:

And here I was thinking that a gaming news site was supposed to show us important gaming news, like an entire game getting shut down.
Yes how silly of me I should have been thinking of important gaming news, like that John Wick DLC for Payday 2, totally needed to know that? I know you guys need our clicks to make money, but you've really just damaged my opinion of the Escapist's news.
Also how dare you just dismiss this game's fans, the 7000 people on the Dawngate reddit don't care? All the petitions going out trying to save the game are by people who don't care? Even I care and I have never even played the game.

And besides EA was involved, that guarantees views because EA was involved.

Now, on topic, I wanted to get that off my chest, doesn't it seem a bit desperate that they've dredged up The Lost Vikings? I mean the game isn't even properly out yet and they've already got a character fron a SNES game that most of the game's audience most likely won't even know. Wonder how long until they release a Rock n' Roll Racing Hero?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
War_Dyn27 said:
Now, on topic, I wanted to get that off my chest, doesn't it seem a bit desperate that they've dredged up The Lost Vikings? I mean the game isn't even properly out yet and they've already got a character fron a SNES game that most of the game's audience most likely won't even know. Wonder how long until they release a Rock n' Roll Racing Hero?
They announced the Lost Vikings because EVERYONE and their mother asked for them. At every convention. And on the forums.
People just... want them, lol.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
loa said:

Damn dude, that's rather harsh. And undiplomatic, when you think about it. Probably not how you should talk to 'followers'.

War_Dyn27

Jan 22, 2014
Ferisar said:
War_Dyn27 said:
They announced the Lost Vikings because EVERYONE and their mother asked for them. At every convention. And on the forums.
Ah ok, fair enough then, I'm not into HOTS, or the blizzard community so you'll forgive my mistake, just seemed odd to me they would already release the when there are so many more characters to milk from the big 3 franchises :).

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
War_Dyn27 said:
Ferisar said:
War_Dyn27 said:
Ah ok, fair enough then, I'm not into HOTS, or the blizzard community so you'll forgive my mistake, just seemed odd to me they would already release the when there are so many more characters to milk from the big 3 franchises :).
Oh no no, you're fine, haha. It was actually really funny because they had the same thought. They were all like "YEAH ICONIC FRANCHISE HEROES, THRALL, JAINA, YEEEE"
"Hey, are you gonna have Lost Vikings?"
"I mean... That sounds cool bu--"
"Ok so Lost Vikings confirmed, right?"
"I mean we ca-"
"So... How about Lost Vikings?"
"JESUS CHRIST"
I don't fault you for thinking that though. They're really reeeeally old. It's kind of endearing seeing that there's so many people who even know of that franchise that want them in the game.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
I for one would pay for a new Lost Vikings game. Hopefully this level ofinterest will provide some traction to make that happen

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
So much off topic X_X

I think its great that the game is not even released and they are adding new heroes. They could have kept those under wraps and add them to the game few weeks after release, and a new map. I really like the battleground idea. . . . they dont really change the game that much yet but i think it will be very interesting to see how competitive players start to take advantage of different objectives and how different heroes could potentially be better in some maps than others.

Now i do have a big question. . . . if we are in the Alpha do we carry on in the beta aswell?

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
That's great for fans of those characters, I know one of my friends really really wanted Lost Vikings included. Still waiting for my favorite character, Rexxar :(