Watch The Redeemer Trailer Kick Ass (For The Lord)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Watch The Redeemer Trailer Kick Ass (For The Lord)

Will Marko Zaror finally break big with U.S. audiences?

Marko Zaror, the Chilean kickboxer turned stuntman/actor who doubled for The Rock in The Rundown, has carved out a devoted fandom among hardcore action fans with jaw-dropping turns in Machete Kills [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP960mj8xkA] being his biggest to date. But that trend might be turning around, as Dark Sky Films has announced plans to bring his latest feature Redeemer to U.S. theaters this Summer.

Directed by longtime collaborator Ernesto Díaz Espinoza, Redeemer casts Zaror as a former hitman who has found religion and sworn an oath to God to hunt down and destroy his former criminal associates. This is familiar territory for the taekwondo practitioner once-nicknamed "Latin Dragon," whose Chilean films typically involved morally-upright do-gooders using martial-arts to fight local corruption.

The film currently has no specific date of release outside of Summer 2015. It already played some U.S. film festivals including Fantastic Fest, and generated buzz online with this extended fight scene [http://twitchfilm.com/2014/09/marko-zaror-kicks-ass-in-first-exclusive-clip-from-redeemer.html] clip earlier this year.

Source: The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/marko-zarors-action-thriller-redeemer-lands-u-s-distribution/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Mr. Clarinet

Sep 20, 2012
All it made me think of was "Why does every action film have every be so ultra badass at some kind of trained fighting style?" I miss action movies where it wasn't assumed that everyone was a black belt whatever and ex navy sealion. Can we have an action movie where the main guys have barely any technique whatsoever because they're just powered by their own pathos?

No more amazing average Joe marksmen or Jet Lee's in disguise. I'm sooo tired of the "Set of Skills" format to modern action movies.

spacevagrant

Jan 6, 2013
Yeah I have kinda had my fill of people using violence to appease their god. If I ever feel the need I'll just watch the news for 5 minutes.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
MovieBob said:
Redeemer casts Zaror as a former hitman who has found religion and sworn an oath to God to hunt down and destroy his former criminal associates.
Am i the only one who feels it's a little hypocritical for someone who used to murder people for cash to suddenly turn around be all self-righteous about other people's crimes? Especially when he used to work with those people. Obviously that one sentence summery doesn't describe the entire movie, they'll probably have an opening shot of his former associates grating puppies and kittens onto their breakfast in order to give some flimsy pretense of moral-high ground, but still, I find it hard to believe he is going to be the lesser of all evils.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Mr. Clarinet said:
All it made me think of was "Why does every action film have every be so ultra badass at some kind of trained fighting style?" I miss action movies where it wasn't assumed that everyone was a black belt whatever and ex navy sealion. Can we have an action movie where the main guys have barely any technique whatsoever because they're just powered by their own pathos?
The Die Hard style every-man-anti-hero is a thing of yesteryear, it connected with the blue-collar Springsteen generation but not any more.

I must say though, as a fan of finely choreographed kung fu movies I don't really mind movies like this. This won't top The Raid or anything like that but the action looks cool enough, though I must say it looks a little stilted. And I wonder whether I could bite through the religious nonsense and stupidity of the film's theme. The Boondock Saints played it for laughs/satirically, but this seems to want to play it completely straight.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, people are complaining about the fact that the main character is driven by religion to "fight evil", when the only thing worth really complaining about is all the questionable choreography I just saw in that terrible trailer. I mean, the guy is Chilean and an estimated 90% of all of South America is Christian. It's not a stretch that religions would a factor in the character "redemption".

FirstNameLastName said:
MovieBob said:
Redeemer casts Zaror as a former hitman who has found religion and sworn an oath to God to hunt down and destroy his former criminal associates.
Am i the only one who feels it's a little hypocritical for someone who used to murder people for cash to suddenly turn around be all self-righteous about other people's crimes? Especially when he used to work with those people. Obviously that one sentence summery doesn't describe the entire movie, they'll probably have an opening shot of his former associates grating puppies and kittens onto their breakfast in order to give some flimsy pretense of moral-high ground, but still, I find it hard to believe he is going to be the lesser of all evils.
It's an extremely common trope in action movies. Person with questionable or even terrible background finds a reason to help people is pretty common. Also, I don't find it hypocritical personally because people change. Good people do terrible things and bad people try to become good people, it's in human nature. Good vs evil has not ever been black and white.

Ishigami said:
Meh... I?m not watching religious propaganda.
Yeah, because this film was clearly meant to spread the word of God. It's fantasy and shouldn't be treated as more, you do a disservice to both action films and religion when you make such a specious jump.

spacevagrant said:
Yeah I have kinda had my fill of people using violence to appease their god. If I ever feel the need I'll just watch the news for 5 minutes.
Because a guy kickboxing is the same as a suicide bomber blowing up a bus or the Westboro Baptists picketing military funerals and hating gay people?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ishigami said:
Meh... I?m not watching religious propaganda.
Somehow I get the feeling that The Church would not condone going on a vigilante murdering spree. :p

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
You know, I am getting tired of what seems to be how The Escapist is changing the title of an article. I much prefer the original title compared to the one being used for this article. Since Shamus Young pointed out that the title of his article for Shadow of Mordor was changed, I have been actively looking at for the original title and in most cases I prefer them over what is actually used on The Escapist.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Well, that didn't take long. Just proves to me once again that a lot of people on these forums will endlessly talk your head off about being "diverse" and "inclusive" and "open" to everything when it comes to race, sex, orientation, etc. (as it should be), but the moment religion is brought up (though I know no one hear would ever say anything about Islam), then it all turns to, "Fuck those evil Christians!" Talk about being accepting. And of course there will be the usual five thousand comments bringing up horrible nuts like the Westboro crowd, but those assholes are no more representative of Christianity than the insane SJWs are of people who want more diversity in games.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Baresark said:
FirstNameLastName said:
MovieBob said:
It's an extremely common trope in action movies. Person with questionable or even terrible background finds a reason to help people is pretty common. Also, I don't find it hypocritical personally because people change. Good people do terrible things and bad people try to become good people, it's in human nature. Good vs evil has not ever been black and white.
I'm aware that he's trying to become a better person, thus the redemption part, but I'm just not sure that hunting down and killing people he used to work with is really going to give him the moral high ground.
What's more, it's never stated within the trailer exactly which sect of Christianity he has found, some sects are extremely strict and the slightest deviation from scripture will earn you a one way ticket to hell, others are much more lax, but I've not heard of any where past murders can be redeemed by more murders (unless he's only injuring them). Wouldn't what he's doing come under the category of wrath?

LysanderNemoinis said:
Well, that didn't take long. Just proves to me once again that a lot of people on these forums will endlessly talk your head off about being "diverse" and "inclusive" and "open" to everything when it comes to race, sex, orientation, etc. (as it should be), but the moment religion is brought up (though I know no one hear would ever say anything about Islam), then it all turns to, "Fuck those evil Christians!" Talk about being accepting. And of course there will be the usual five thousand comments bringing up horrible nuts like the Westboro crowd, but those assholes are no more representative of Christianity than the insane SJWs are of people who want more diversity in games.
Wow, talk about a storm in a teacup. At the time of writing this there are only two people in the thread who have said anything even the slightest bit negative about religion, and neither one of them is anything close to saying "Fuck those evil Christians!" And 5,000 comments bringing up the Westboro Baptist Church? The only people who have brought them up are you and one other person defending the religious connotations of this movie. And since when do people not criticize Islam? Islam is heavily criticized, in fact one of the two people in this thread criticizing religion was probably implicitly referring to Islam. It's a good thing you brought up the "insane SJWs", because your post kind of reminds me of them; always trying to be unnecessarily offended at the smallest of things.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I'm glad I'm the first person to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkHkdu5IEI

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Don't get people's butthurt over the premise, it is not exactly new, nor is it taken seriously, simply a backdrop for us to see this guy kicking ass, and judging by the trailer this is going to be a treat!

Honestly can anyone remember the plot of Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon? No? How about the awesome fight scene against Bob Wall? I though so.

Rarely is the premise or the plot in these kinds of flicks intended to be taken seriously, just sit back and enjoy the action, if it is not your thing, then just sit this one out.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Mr. Clarinet said:

No more amazing average Joe marksmen or Jet Lee's in disguise. I'm sooo tired of the "Set of Skills" format to modern action movies.
Have you seen any of Liam Neeson's revenge movies? It is pretty much what you are asking for.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Won't lie, trailer looked a bit shit. Like a student film or something. Won't hold my breath for this to be a breakthrough

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Damn it, I was all excited for a moment that this was going to be a full-length movie version of the Ass-kicking Priest from "Dead Alive" (plenty of people already posted the video).

This looks kinda boring, but a kung-fu fighting Priest battling Zombies? Yeah I'd go see that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
FirstNameLastName said:
MovieBob said:
Ah, but you see, he found Gawhd, so all of his sins are forgiven, so he can be morally superior to others now, thanks to his Get Out of Hell Free card, courtesy of Buddy Christ and Papa Gawhd.

In all honesty though, being violent in the name of God is pretty standard, even in the Bible, it's all about who you are being violent against. If it's non-religious types, or other religious types not yours, then it's totally kosher. The Old Testament is dripping with blood from stories like the above movie.