Nintendo Announces 11 New Amiibos For Q1, 2015 - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Announces 11 New Amiibos For Q1, 2015 - Update

Nintendo isn't planning on slowing down the Amiibo train, announcing plans to release 11 additional figures by February, 2015.

Update: Nintendo of America has confirmed that the 11 new Amiibos will launch in North America in February, 2015.

Source: Nintendo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTG_IQfraUk]

Original Story: One of things Nintendo has really been pushing this year is its new release 11 additional figures by February, 2015 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137145-Nintendo-Amiibos-up-for-pre-order-for-12-99] (at least in Japan).

Wave 2, which launches on January 22, 2015 consists of Lucario, Rosalina, Bowser, Toon Link, Sheik, Ike, Meta Knight and Dedede. Check out their amiibos below:

[gallery=3496]

Wave 3, which doesn't have a definitive launch date yet, should be released by the end of February, and contains just three characters: Sonic, Mega Man, and Shulk. Here's some pictures:

[gallery=3497]

The figures will retail in Japan for 1,200 yen - the same price as the 1st wave Amiibos. We've got no info on release dates or pricing for these guys in America, but you can probably assume they will launch around the same time, for $12.99.

While the Amiibos are most often associated with Super Smash Bros., they will have compatibility with other Nintendo games. For example, Nintendo recently outlined how the figures would work with Mario Kart 8 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138441-Mario-Kart-8-First-DLC-Pack-Arrives-Nov-13-with-Link].

Last we heard, Nintendo was also thinking about card-based Amiibos [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138383-Nintendo-Plans-Card-Based-Amiibos-Smaller-Cheaper-Figures?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news], and smaller, cheaper figures.

Source: Nintendo Japan [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/amiibo/lineup/index.html]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
...*bangs head on wall*
Dammit Nintendo where is my Ganondorf Amibo already. Oh well, at least the next batch with have the good old King Dedede in them since he's another one I use.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
So how long until they give up on this thing, realising they can't compete with Activisions established hold on kids, and Disney's better stable of characters?

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I'm really starting to wonder why they didn't just make the smash trophies a little more grounded in game, so we wouldn't need to have half the figurines looking like giant rods are sticking out of their asses.

Now that I think about it, why is link the only amiibo with a piss yellow color stand?

also, dat dedede? mmmmm day 1 done.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
So how long until they give up on this thing, realising they can't compete with Activisions established hold on kids, and Disney's better stable of characters?
Toadfish, Toadfish, it's an experiment that they are running with and a very ambitious one at that which seems promising enough. Let them have their moment. If this whole amiibo thing turns out to be a failure (which I doubt), then we can all say that here and now, you were right.

OT: Those look sweet. I know one of my friends in particular is going to want the Mega Man figure for sure.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Vault101 said:
think they'll ever release a mr game and watch one?
They'll be releasing Amibo's for every Smash character, only question is when they will. I have the feeling Pacman, Duck Hunt Dog, R.O.B, and Mr. Game and Watch will be released at the same time to do an "old school" pack or something.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I always chuckle anytime I can literally open Link in a new tab. Rosalina and Mega Man look good. If I had an interest in them I'd already have Samus.

I don't have a Wii U, but I'm more likely to get one than the other 2 consoles. The new 3DS has nfc built in I think, but I already have a 3DS and reports of the new one are primarily negative so far as I have seen.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I always chuckle anytime I can literally open Link in a new tab. Rosalina and Mega Man look good. If I had an interest in them I'd already have Samus.

I don't have a Wii U, but I'm more likely to get one than the other 2 consoles. The new 3DS has nfc built in I think, but I already have a 3DS and reports of the new one are primarily negative so far as I have seen.
There will be an NFC add-on for the old 3DS

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Z of the Na said:
Toadfish1 said:
Toadfish, Toadfish, it's an experiment that they are running with and a very ambitious one at that which seems promising enough. Let them have their moment. If this whole amiibo thing turns out to be a failure (which I doubt), then we can all say that here and now, you were right.

OT: Those look sweet. I know one of my friends in particular is going to want the Mega Man figure for sure.
How is doing what other people have already done but better an experiment?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Toadfish1 said:
Z of the Na said:
Toadfish1 said:

What other company has made toys with NFC support that are supposed to work with every future game of the company even if it's unrelated to the IP?

Amiibo are basically DLC unlock-keys that are one time buy, work on many games.
Imagine if Activison sold a $13 key that unlocked all map packs in all future CoD games. That's what Nintendo's Amiibo's are.

Also how many console game shave learning AI's? As far as I know, only CS1.6 had learning bots and only because they were community made. That's Amiibo in Smash.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Neronium said:
...*bangs head on wall*
Dammit Nintendo where is my Ganondorf Amibo already. Oh well, at least the next batch with have the good old King Dedede in them since he's another one I use.
Yeah.. what the fuck is going on with this.

So we are getting a Link in the first wave, Zelda in the second wave, and then Toon Link in the third wave?

Did we really need a second Link before we got a Ganondorf?

And we are getting Sonic.. a SEGA IP, before we are getting Ganondorf? wtf

Edit: And a Ganondorf amiibo makes more sense than half the others because it can actually be used in other games and make sense, like Hyrule Warriors, (and I'm not ruling out he will be a character added to Mario kart along with Link)

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
Toadfish1 said:
Z of the Na said:
Toadfish1 said:

What other company has made toys with NFC support that are supposed to work with every future game of the company even if it's unrelated to the IP?

Amiibo are basically DLC unlock-keys that are one time buy, work on many games.
Imagine if Activison sold a $13 key that unlocked all map packs in all future CoD games. That's what Nintendo's Amiibo's are.

Also how many console game shave learning AI's? As far as I know, only CS1.6 had learning bots and only because they were community made. That's Amiibo in Smash.
I support your argument, which I want to state up front because I also can't stand being disingenuous: A better comparison would be if Activision sold a $13 DLC item that unlocked stuff related to that item that COULD be programmed into games. The MegaMan Amiibo might not guarantee you can use him in Hyrule Warriors but as the Captain Falcon one has shown, it can work across a wider range than believed so it is still a valid argument.
I'd just temper it in the spirit of honesty.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Neronium said:
...*bangs head on wall*
Aren't Amiibos you get supposed to be ones you don't really like playing as but could tag team well with you?
Since they will always be CPU controlled, either against you or with you...
These seem cool enough!

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
It's amazing the difference that not being yellow makes in the apparent niceness of the thing. I wonder if, as production continues, the first line of figures that had yellow stands will also be made to have transparent ones?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Still not a fan of those plastic supports. King Dedede, Bowser, and Mega Man are the only decent looking ones to me.
Okay...Toon Link is kinda cute too even with a rod stuck up his butt.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Don't be fool people, we all know the real product won't look like those images!

In saying so I am tempted to get Rosalina (good fighter), Toon Link (eventhough I already own a similar figure) and Shulk (loved the game).

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
BiH-Kira said:
Toadfish1 said:
Z of the Na said:
Toadfish1 said:

And if you believe that shit, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

No, thats Drivatar.