You Shall Not Pass! ...This Strange Science Pic Quiz

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
You Shall Not Pass! ...This Strange Science Pic Quiz

Can you guess the meaning behind these strangely bizarre science pictures?

Read Full Article

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Not going to click on that worm video thank you very much!

While I am a little curious as to why the foot and not out the intestinal tract considering it gets in from ingestion, it's not a topic I will look up. Ever.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
-Dragmire- said:

While I am a little curious as to why the foot and not out the intestinal tract considering it gets in from ingestion, it's not a topic I will look up. Ever.
I saw it on TV once, they have to slowly wind it around something to pull it out, absolutely horrifying and something that should be banned from planet Earth.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
-Dragmire- said:

As the person who edited this article, I did not watch the video either, and just seeing that pic gives me the willies every. single. time. *shudders*

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Japan has arcades up the yin-yang. Many pachinko ones because pachinko machines are too expensive to keep at home, but many many video game arcades. It's a social meeting place more than some place to turn your back on the world. Well, except for the pachinko, which is kind of like the slots. Kind of. Imagine if pinball paid out in Green Stamps.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
-Dragmire- said:

I saw it on TV once, they have to slowly wind it around something to pull it out, absolutely horrifying and something that should be banned from planet Earth.
I've always thought a cool bit of trivia is the possibility that the caduceus, the symbol of medicine, a serpent wrapped around a staff, may in fact be a representation of exactly this process. It's probably a myth, but I like to believe it anyway.

And while these things are indeed horrific, I still think parasites are awesome.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
-Dragmire- said:

Well, to you and everyone else that didn't watch the video, you'd be interested to know that the bug is at point of being nearly eliminated from the planet. There are ongoing programs that are systematically wiping out the worm, by interrupting its life cycle. That way, no new generations are being born, until the old ones die out. They will continue this until they've cleansed all lakes and rivers of this pest.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Product Placement said:
Well, to you and everyone else that didn't watch the video, you'd be interested to know that the bug is at point of being nearly eliminated from the planet. There are ongoing programs that are systematically wiping out the worm, by interrupting its life cycle. That way, no new generations are being born, until the old ones die out. They will continue this until they've cleansed all lakes and rivers of this pest.
One thing that us humans are good at is eradicating a species, to the point that we're doing it to alot by accident.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
-Dragmire- said:

It heads down to the foot to find a 'mate'

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
RicoADF said:
Product Placement said:
One thing that us humans are good at is eradicating a species, to the point that we're doing it to alot by accident.
Well, this is one of the few cases where we're doing it intentionally, and one where we can say "good riddance" too. The Guinea worm is one of those pesky parasites that choose to specialize on human ancestors hundreds of thousands of years ago and there's nothing in nature that relies on its existence.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, what an article! This is everything we like. Tech, Science, weird animal life, Medicine, and Gaming. Check and check.

-Dragmire- said:
If you enjoy seeing crying children and Jimmy Carter in traditional African clothing then this is the link for you!