Screens From Telltale's Game of Thrones Reportedly Leak

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Screens From Telltale's Game of Thrones Reportedly Leak

Get your first look at Telltale's vision of Game of Thrones.

The first episode of Telltale Games' Game of Thrones series is lifelower [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138512-Telltale-Game-of-Thrones-to-be-Six-Episodes] (they've since been deleted) with no official response from Telltale's camp.

The art style shown in these screens looks like it would fit in with Telltale's staple of episodic titles, particularly The Walking Dead. Thanks to the success of HBO's adaptation, the faces of the Lannister siblings are instantly recognizable, but there are a few new faces in the bunch as well. Game of Thrones, which takes place between the third and fifth seasons of the show, puts the player in control of House Forrester, a family that appeared in George R.R. Martin's A Dance With Dragons but has yet to be featured on the show.

[gallery=3520]

Though Game of Thrones still doesn't have a solid release date, Telltale has repeatedly said the first episode would be out before the year is up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138512-Telltale-Game-of-Thrones-to-be-Six-Episodes]. Telltale wrapped up The Walking Dead Season Two and the first season of The Wolf Among Us earlier this year; between this and Tales From the Borderlands, it looks like the developer will have its hands full well into 2015.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/images-of-the-new-game-of-thrones-game-probably-leak-1659428254]

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Erg? I?m not sure if I like their graphics getting that good. The better the graphics means more time and money they put into it. More time and money put into the game means a longer wait between episodes AND a price boosts.

The quality of graphics for The Wolf Among Us was fine; I hope they aren?t boosting the graphics for the next season of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. :/

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
I hope this is confirmed. The art in these screens is looking great imho and really bring together Telltale's style and the Game of Thrones look. I can't say I'm chomping at the bit for the game but always wish Telltale the best. Looking forward to season 2 of The Wolf Among Us though.

senkus

Apr 3, 2010
MC1980 said:
Wow, without the stylisation the game looks like ass. Atleast they could have tried to make higher-quality assets if they didn't up their engine.
We're looking at stuff that we weren't supposed to see here, so it may not be representative of the final product.
The images are also SO heavily compressed (probably ripped from re-encoded video) that it gets hard to judge texture resolution.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this is certainly the most "realistic" I've ever seen them go

honestly while its a bit jarring at first I actually don't mind it

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
It still has that painted style that Telltale uses, could be the black outline effects haven't been applied yet due to it being a WIP.
Looks good though.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Reportedly? I think it's safe to assume that these are real. That or this is a very elaborate hoax involving a very talented 3D modeller who has done a damn good job of impersonating the telltale aesthetic, even if it's a bit less stylised than " The Walking Dead" or "The Wolf Among Us".

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Some look great, other's -- specifically the ones going for likeness -- not so much. I guess they're trying to bank on the popularity of certain characters in the show, but it feels a bit out of place compared to the more cartoony styled ones.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Steve Waltz said:
Erg? I?m not sure if I like their graphics getting that good. The better the graphics means more time and money they put into it. More time and money put into the game means a longer wait between episodes AND a price boosts.

The quality of graphics for The Wolf Among Us was fine; I hope they aren?t boosting the graphics for the next season of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. :/
i think the difference, though, is that TWD and TWAU are both based on comic series', so it makes sense to have the graphics emulate that, somewhat. their GoT game is based on a tv show, so it makes sense that the graphics look better and less like comic art.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I like this style. It's a good combination (compromise?) of Telltale's usual graphics and the show's actors.

But in the end it'll come down to the storytelling. And for me, Telltale gets the job done more than well.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
That is not the artstyle I was expecting, but the graphics were never the major pull of their games for me: just keep to your usual excellent standards of writing and characterisation Telltales and I'll be one satisfied customer.

I'll even buy extra copies if you give us the chance to kill as many Bolton cunts as possible.

The North Remembers.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I was really hoping that this story wasn't going to take place during the time period that the books and show are set in. There just isn't much room for meaningful decisions in a story where all the broad strokes are known already.

I thought that having it take place in the North before the Targaryen conquest would have worked well. With the player stuck between the Boltons and the Starks before they were officially sworn to them.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
This looks good, it looks lik the show but heavily stylised, Tyrion looks like Peter and Cersei looks like Lena.

K12 said:
I was really hoping that this story wasn't going to take place during the time period that the books and show are set in. There just isn't much room for meaningful decisions in a story where all the broad strokes are known already.

I thought that having it take place in the North before the Targaryen conquest would have worked well. With the player stuck between the Boltons and the Starks before they were officially sworn to them.
Westeros is a huge huge place. There's plenty of room to tell a story, even overlapping minorly with the books and shows, in a nation as big as Westeros.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
It looks like a more painterly style than the cel-shaded The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. It's not incredibly high-fidelity but the characters look like their actors and the colours match that of the TV series.

Not much to complain about to be honest HOWEVER, we will have to see how they look animated because Telltale are notorious for clunky animation. What might have worked for The Walking Dead would throw Game of Thrones into the Uncanny Valley. I am extremely nervous about how these models would look in motion because in the stills they look pretty great.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
endtherapture said:
This looks good, it looks lik the show but heavily stylised, Tyrion looks like Peter and Cersei looks like Lena.

K12 said:

Westeros is a huge huge place. There's plenty of room to tell a story, even overlapping minorly with the books and shows, in a nation as big as Westeros.
That is true but I worry that if they have Lannisters and Tyrells etc. making an appearance it might make the actual plot of the show seem insignificant by comparison.

To be honest Telltale do a pretty good job of this sort of thing, especially when it comes to tell small but intense character focused stories, which is probably what this will be. This is only a vague worry on my part.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
K12 said:
endtherapture said:

K12 said:

That is true but I worry that if they have Lannisters and Tyrells etc. making an appearance it might make the actual plot of the show seem insignificant by comparison.

To be honest Telltale do a pretty good job of this sort of thing, especially when it comes to tell small but intense character focused stories, which is probably what this will be. This is only a vague worry on my part.
I think a really cool story could be told, based around a small house getting involved in the politics of the Game of Thrones and getting totally fucked by it, sort of like the Reynes and Tarbecks and even the Starks but on a much smaller scale. And of course you'd be able to influence the way the story goes and rub shoulders occasionally with the characters from the show and the books.

They could even just do a story about some kids on the road, like a tale of a child a lot like Hot Pie and the things he would get involved in and survive, or even one about a sellsword like Bronn. Endless possibilities.