Snoopy Takes Flight in New Peanuts Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Snoopy Takes Flight in New Peanuts Trailer

Snoopy battles The Red Baron while Charlie Brown is defeated by popcorn in new trailer

We'd already seen a brief announcement teaser [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133021-Peanuts-Goes-3D-In-Debut-Movie-Teaser] for 20th Century Fox's upcoming animated feature adaptation of Charles M. Schulz's legendary Peanuts comic strip, but a full-length teaser for the prospective 2015 holiday blockbuster has now appeared online.

The brief (90 second) clip focuses mainly on Peanuts iconography related to franchise-mascot Snoopy, including his doghouse being decorated for Christmas by Woodstock and his yellow bird friends (whom someone at Fox is no doubt hoping will become as marketable as Despicable Me's "Minions" turned out to be [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75OYtT2Q7sE]) and a fantasy sequence in which he battles The Red Baron in a (literal) dogfight; but a final shot reveals Charlie Brown and the rest of the Peanuts Gang in their new 3D theatrical-animated forms.

The new film - the first Peanuts feature to hit theaters since Snoopy Come Home in 1972 - is being animated by Ice Age creators Blue Sky Studios, with Horton Hears a Who helmer Steve Martino directing. The film's main storyline has not been released, though Martino has confirmed that it will focus on Charlie Brown's resilience through continued comedic hardship and will feature a new version of The "Little Red-Haired Girl," Brown's unrequited love-interest who remained unseen and unnamed in the comics but was visualized (and named) a few times in animated TV specials.

Peanuts is due for release on November 6, 2015.

Source: 20th Century Fox [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XmV3zGifOE]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Either this will be a amazing new entry into Peanuts History and introduce multiple new generations of children
to the awesomeness that is Peanuts,

or this will be the most hated feature of the last years. If this blows, the disappointment will be so immense
and the bile the creators will face will be enormous.

Since they KNOW this, I actually have quite high hopes for this!
The trailer is nice, so far.

edit: after watching it a few times. Like it. Music is bad, but
attention to detail like the already-broken lightbulb, good sounddesign with Woodstock and his Pals, Snoopy...
The visual still will have to prove itself in a full feature, though.

edit2: the more I think about it, the happier I get

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
This looks interesting, hopefully the finished product will be an enjoyable treat... (crosses fingers)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Charlie Brown, you busta, straight busta.

It looks good but that dogfight sequence had that "and hijinks ensue" vibe that modern movies like these (taking an old comic/animated franchise and make a movie out of it) have. The music certainly didnt help, in fact, I will blame it all on the music as the animation was very good even in that sequence and nothing wrong or out of place really happened on screen.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Maybe it's just me being tired, but that didn't look... fun?

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Sol_HSA said:
In many ways I hope it *isn't* too fun. Charlie Brown is not a fun character. He's a loser whose life is mostly crap. Even his dog mostly doesn't care about him (hardly remembers his existence except as a source of food) and he only really has one actual friend. The movies have got round this by focusing on his moral character through adversity, and letting Snoopy provide the actual laughs.

Where this movie is going to struggle is that out of its two main choices, neither is particularly workable. If it follows the path of previous movies by creating most of its dialogue through straight lifts from the strips, it'll suffer a similar problem of pacing which makes them quite hard to watch these days. However if it starts from a fresh script it will be very difficult to catch Schultz' style over longer passages of dialogue.

I love Peanuts dearly but I think it's going to be almost impossible to adapt successfully in a 21st century feature. And Blue Sky's involvement doesn't really fill me with hope as they haven't made a really good, emotionally safisfying film since Robots.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Flatfrog said:
Sol_HSA said:
In many ways I hope it *isn't* too fun. Charlie Brown is not a fun character. He's a loser whose life is mostly crap. Even his dog mostly doesn't care about him (hardly remembers his existence except as a source of food) and he only really has one actual friend. The movies have got round this by focusing on his moral character through adversity, and letting Snoopy provide the actual laughs.

Where this movie is going to struggle is that out of its two main choices, neither is particularly workable. If it follows the path of previous movies by creating most of its dialogue through straight lifts from the strips, it'll suffer a similar problem of pacing which makes them quite hard to watch these days. However if it starts from a fresh script it will be very difficult to catch Schultz' style over longer passages of dialogue.

I love Peanuts dearly but I think it's going to be almost impossible to adapt successfully in a 21st century feature. And Blue Sky's involvement doesn't really fill me with hope as they haven't made a really good, emotionally safisfying film since Robots.
Well it depends, the "Fun" is in the fact you got these kids contemplating adult concepts that would even go an adults heads, It in a way is subversive dark humour. If Charlie Brown where an adult during all this he'd be sectioned :p

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
I don't know, I think the style won me over, it's not fully 3D, it's kind of a mix of 3 and 2 D. Also, extremely happy they didn't give Snoopy or Woodstock voices.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Man, I can't remember the last time I've been this conflicted about an upcoming animated movie. It seems like they almost know what they're doing, but it's hard to really say from two short trailers. Maybe they wont fuck it up, or maybe they'll completely fuck it up. At least it seems like they respect the property, so if they fuck it up it won't be because they half-assed it. I just don't have a lot of faith in BlueSky. Their best movies have been mediocre.

It's weird that the two films of theirs I've actually enjoyed, Robots and Horton Hears a Who, are their second and third least grossing films, Epic being the worst. It's also weird that the shittier their movies are, the more money they make. The third and fourth terrible Ice Age movies each broke $800,000; by far their highest-grossing films. Makes me glad I don't have kids.