8 Live-Action Disney Films That Are Better Than Their Animated Fare

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Live-Action Disney Films That Are Better Than Their Animated Fare

Today we take a quick look back at some of the best live-action films that Disney made. This list contains eight great movies that, whether you like Disney or not, are amazing and stand on their own as great films. Since the release, and success, of Maleficent they're going to start remaking their animated classics as live-action films, so get used to seeing real people playing your favorite Disney characters.

Read Full Article

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
When I was a kid I loved Bedknobs & Broomsticks. Saw it when we first got cable TV in the late 70s and it was just a lot of fun. Ended up showing it to my kid years later when she was about the same age and she loved it too. :)

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Wouldn't the title of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea be referring to the idea of having traveled 20,000 leagues while underwater, rather than indicating depth?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
COMaestro said:
Wouldn't the title of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea be referring to the idea of having traveled 20,000 leagues while underwater, rather than indicating depth?
That's always seemed to be the case in the eyse of the writer of the original story.

Genuinely surprised about Maleficent making the list, wasn't really a good movie and certainly doesn't tell a better story then the animated movie it's based on. Then again that seems to be the case for all these "darker and edgier" live action remakes of classic Disney movies no one asked for and no one should have thought was a good idea. But enough people go to them for them to make a profit, so we'll have to wait a few years for this god awful trend to end.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Leagues was a surprisingly mature of a movie for Disney, I always liked it. And Bednobs is one of my all time favs

Maleficent is an insult to this list in my opinion and it weakens the Villain as we knew her instead of being a very graceful, spiteful, strangely alluring and vicious sorcerers that reveled and enjoyed evil that was so insulted by being snubbed in a royal event she cursed a new born... We have a typical stalking "woman scorned" because some random dude did something to her.
You could have done anything with her story better than this, if you where going the "once good approach" they could have made her be the Daughter to an evil father who she has to take over for, her a fairy that meddled with the dark arts and choose to be evil because, why not?. Anything than what we got, why are writers constantly wanting to add (what they call) "depth" to iconic characters? Sometimes we don't need to know and this is proof.

And it ruined the Fairies making both them and the Maleficent look incompetent. And she didn't even turn into a dragon!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'd have to include "The Watcher in the Woods." I'm not currently a parent, but if I ever become one I will show this super creepy movie to my kids at about 6-years old or so. Just to watch the fear cause psychological damage. Ritual magic, ghosts, creepy old lady, possessed little girl... so many fears.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Ehh... no. Maleficent is good, but a classic it is not.

The story in that movie seems like a cheap attempt at turning a villain into a sympathetic antihero. And the best they could do were predictable twists, reducing the other characters into pure comic relief, and a surprise ending it would surprise someone if Disney didn't used it already, verbatim, just one year ago.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
008Zulu said:
V4Viewtiful said:
We have a typical stalking "woman scorned" because some random dude did something to her.
That "something" was an allegory for rape.
I was intentionally avoiding the allegory because like I asserted, sometimes it's fine to just be evil for no reason instead of over-stuffing origin with subtext. It's getting boring now, when Alien was an allegory for rape THAT was interesting and new.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I'mm not sure Tron really needed a synopsis. Anyone who hasn't seen it is probably on the wrong site. (And if you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?)

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
God I loved Bed Knobs and Broomsticks. Easily one of my favourite movies as a kid, and still one of my favourite classic movies. I must've watched the final battle in that film a hundred times.

Think I might watch it today.

Ramien Grey

May 25, 2014
Can we just drop Maleficent from the list and add Treasure Island, with or without the Muppets?

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
No Dragonslayer, no Black Hole?

This list is a sham, may a thousand internet hyperboles* be visited upon you.

*Approximately equal to 13 tumblrs.