Google Earth Is Now All At Sea

Feb 13, 2008
Google Earth Is Now All At Sea

While Google Earth [http://earth.google.com/] used to just provide you with photos of the land masses, now you can delve deep into the sea.

Google Ocean, the first major upgrade to Google Earth, allows you to dive below the surface to explore the ocean floor. The map also includes 20 content layers, containing information from the world's leading scientists, researchers, and ocean explorers.

Each of the Google maps - of the Earth, Oceans, Mars and the Moon - allows you to explore 3D representation of areas in great detail.

While 70% of the world's surface is water, and 80% of all life calls it home, only 5% of it has ever been explored.

Google Ocean, part of Google Earth, aims to let users visit some of the more interesting locations, including underwater volcanoes, as well as running videos on marine life, shipwrecks and clips of favorite surf and dive spots.

"I cannot imagine a more effective way to inspire awareness and caring for the blue heart of the planet than the new Ocean in Google Earth," said Sylvia Earle, the National Geographic Society's explorer in residence, "For the first time, everyone from curious kids to serious researchers can see the world, the whole world, with new eyes."

On the terrestrial side, there are also updates including GPS locating, the ability to watch areas change over time and narrated tours. Perfect for those areas that may come up at exam times or on pub quizzes.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7865407.stm]

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i miss the fact that they removed the cheese part of google moon

other than that it's darn cool and i want my car to be on google earth, they have to update the pics as mine was in a parking garage on the day they took the last one

Feb 13, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
i miss the fact that they removed the cheese part of google moon
Yeah, I was looking to include that in the report.

(For those that didn't know, if you increase the magnification to full, you'd see the moon is made of cheese ;0 )

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
That is a very cool idea, although I'm not entirely sure that I'd ever look at it. I doubt the message they apparently want to spread will be well received either.