Our Top 10 Star Wars Games

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Our Top 10 Star Wars Games

With so many Star Wars games on the market it can be hard sometimes to know which ones are worth playing and which ones you'd be better off dumping pre-Hyperspace jump. Check out some of our recommendations and leave some of your own!

Read Full Article

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
No Jedi Knight? That game was seriously top quality. KOTOR2 was also far superior and much deeper than the original in my experience.

Sep 14, 2009
endtherapture said:
No Jedi Knight? That game was seriously top quality. KOTOR2 was also far superior and much deeper than the original in my experience.
while I agree with this, it would be unfair to put both games in this list, and the author had a personal reason for putting the first game in the list.

Jedi knight definitely should have been in there though, the lightsaber combat was insane, easily should have beat out at least one of those games.

OT: glad to see the pod racer love in there, my friends and I still play it to this day, I even had the podracer booster sound as my text tone for a while.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
anonymity88 said:
No JK2: Outcast.

I am disappointed. Not mad, just disappointed.
That none of the Katarn games got a nod doesn't do this list any favors. Any one of those (except Jedi Academy) could pretty easily earn a spot on the list bumping something else.

KotOR2 gets the shaft... but we're on The Escapist, so, I should probably just be happy The Old Republic didn't get held up as the best SW game of all time.

The X-Wing and TIE Fighter games don't get a nod... yeah, I know the series covered them a bit ago, but then bumping them off the list doesn't make much sense.

And of course... no mention of Galaxies. I know it's gone, and you can't play it anymore, but, really? We're going to do "the top 10 Star Wars games" and ignore what many consider (myself not included) the best MMO of all time. Really?

EDIT: Typo

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I agree with many others that the lack of Dark Forces/Jedi Knight is disturbing. Even then, for someone who just played X-Wing and Tie Fighter, where's that series on the list? Rogue Squadron wouldn't happen without those several games.

[sub](And then you've got the occasional question regarding Shadows of the Empire on the N64...)[/sub]

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
I have to jump on the bandwagon. We get Battle for Naboo but no Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II? That game is a masterpiece, and introduced many people to the concept of popular multiplayer games being modded to the sky. Jedi Outcast improved on it in every way, sure, but JK will always be the first in my eyes.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I'd almost forgotten that the Game Boy one and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade existed until I saw them here. That really takes me back. I never finished either of them, but I had a lot of fun with them when I was a kid.
anonymity88 said:
No JK2: Outcast.

I am disappointed. Not mad, just disappointed.
Seconded. That would be my choice for best Star Wars game ever, to be honest. Its story isn't as good as KotOR, to be sure, but the lightsaber combat is absolutely glorious. The fact that you don't get it until a few levels in just makes it all the sweeter when you can just casually stroll into a room full of stormtroopers and just effortlessly annihilate them.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
There can not be a top 10 Star Wars games list without Jedi Knight and X-Wing/TIE Fighter on it.

I will pretend this article never existed.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Haha. Sorry guys. I can't speak for Marshall, but in my case I never played Jedi Knight 2 and the first one, fun as it was, somehow didn't leave that much impression on me.

As for X-Wing and Tie Fighter, this list was very much nostalgia driven (hence the "Our"). I had a blast playing X-Wing and am still enjoying working through it, but I just don't have the same level of misty-eyed fondness for it that I do for something like Rogue Squadron. :)

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
X-Wing series?
JK series?

I mean, the X-Wing series HAD TO BE a dream come true for anyone who saw the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Endor as a child. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to pilot an X-Wing in a true "simulator" fashion.

As for the JK series, probably the best best version of lightsaber flailing ever made into game (and yaknow, multiplayer). Sure, it didn't look as cool as Force Unleashed, but it felt more free and it gave you that sense of actually being in control of the character, rather than just mashing the attack button until everyone around you dies.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
endtherapture said:
I concur.

However, unlike most lists, the author has made it clear that these aren't "The Best Star Wars Games", it's "Our Best Star Wars Games", so they get away with it.

Slightly. They'll still get a light shocking from Kyle Katarn and a lecture from Kreia for their excisions >.>

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
No Xwing/Tie Fighter, no Jedi Knight. What the hell?

I am glad the SNES games are on there. They were fantastic for their time, and still pretty good today.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
No Star Wars Empire at War? You can have dozens of Super Star Destroyers under your command, its great! D:

Also I spent hundreds of hours on Podracing on the N64 my friend had. We were quite competitive and I used to be able to ace courses... Doing it now just makes me curse my lack of reflexes!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Redlin5 said:
No Star Wars Empire at War? You can have dozens of Super Star Destroyers under your command, its great! D:
Not without mods. Though, I think I know the one you're talking about. In the base game, the Executor isn't even available, IIRC. Forces of Corruption changes Vader's space unit to the Executor... You can still spam out the Imperial Class Star Destroyers though...

Seriously though, it's a fantastic RTS.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
StewShearer said:
Haha. Sorry guys. I can't speak for Marshall, but in my case I never played Jedi Knight 2 and the first one, fun as it was, somehow didn't leave that much impression on me.

As for X-Wing and Tie Fighter, this list was very much nostalgia driven (hence the "Our"). I had a blast playing X-Wing and am still enjoying working through it, but I just don't have the same level of misty-eyed fondness for it that I do for something like Rogue Squadron. :)
But..but...but it's X-wing! The greatest Star Wars game ever made! That game is to me what Rogue Squadron is to you. I played that game for hours on end. I even broke a joystick because I played it so much. Pulled back on the stick once a little too hard and crack! I fear I'm one of those people who tried Rogue Squadron and, while fun, it just wasn't X-wing for me.

A fun list. I've only played about half of those games. I would love to get a sequel to Republic Commando. I still want to know what happens to Sev and how he gets out of there.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'll be the guy who says thank you for a list that doesn't include JK2 or X-Wing/Tie Fighter. Why? Because hearing the same list items echoed over and over again makes people miss out on other great things, its also disingenuous to think that EVERYONE is going to have that one game on their list as well. Some folks are going to have slightly (or radically) different tastes than others and I do enjoy hearing their opinions on why they enjoyed certain games that I may not have thought to put on my list...
Hell it might even get me to play games I'd missed out on (especially since there are a lot of Star Wars games out there).
So, yeah guys, thanks for your list.