Here's Your Cast For The Suicide Squad Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Here's Your Cast For The Suicide Squad Movie

Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Tom Hardy and Jared Leto as the new Joker lead all-star supervillain team-up

With Suicide Squad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137074-warner-bros-no-jokes-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice] from director David Ayer.

Casting rumors have swirled for months, but today Warner Bros announced the official lineup for the feature; which involves a group of famous DC Comics villains who are granted pardons in exchange for carrying out high-risk missions for a shadowy government organization. The Wolf of Wall Street's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/8626-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street] Margot Robbie will play Harley Quinn (a female counterpart to The Joker), Will Smith is the master-assassin Deadshot, Tom Hardy is team leader Rick Flagg, Jai Courtney is Captain Boomerang and Cara Delevingne is the magic-user Enchantress. Finally, Jared Leto will take over the high-profile role as the new Joker.

Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor from Dawn of Justice is also believed to be part of the project in some unknown capacity. Still yet to be cast is Amanda Waller, the hard-nosed government official traditionally depicted as running the "Suicide Squad" program. According to Variety, [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/suicide-squad-cast-revealed-jared-leto-to-play-the-joker-will-smith-is-deadshot-1201368867/] WB's first choice for the part is Oprah Winfrey, with Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer also being considered.

Suicide Squad opens in August of 2016.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/suicide-squad-cast-revealed-jared-leto-to-play-the-joker-will-smith-is-deadshot-1201368867/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Okay, is it just me or does that actually seem kind of fun?

I'm generally ambivalent about most comic book movies and utterly indifferent to DC's stuff, but, not gonna lie, I kinda want to watch this.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
kind of excited for Jared Leto as Joker ngl. not here for the rest of the cast however, especially freaking Cara Delevingne and supreme master scientologist Smith. If we're lucky maybe they'll have his son join the cast as well.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
MovieBob said:
Finally, Jared Leto will take over the high-profile role as the new Joker.
That poor soul. No matter how good he is, he'll always be compared to Heath Ledger.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
marioandsonic said:
MovieBob said:
That poor soul. No matter how good he is, he'll always be compared to Heath Ledger.
Depends... Leto has that quality about him that makes me want to hurt him seriously because no matter what he seems to do, he is absolutely talented at it. Remember too, people said that Jack Nicholson's performance could never be outdone when Ledger was cast. So... yeah.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Could have picked a better character roster :/ I get Harley, Dead shot, and Cpt. Boomerang(god forbid c-lister) since they are mainstays of the series, but the enchantress? And using Tom Hardy as miscellaneous government team leader feels like a waste of his talents, he could have been damn near any actual character and I would be excited about his role.

So of the five on the team, two are interesting. Even if the performances are top notch I'll be hard pressed to care about their characters. There are SO many DC villain that could have been thrown on this group, hell, pull the guy playing Deathstroke in Arrow and slap him onto it and at least we have another character people might actually know.

The Joker of course will be a stroke of planning and luck if he is well received. I can't even come close to making that call.

Color me a fair bit less excited for this movie.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Will Smith and Jared Leto was all I needed to hear. I actually just saw this on Memebase and thought it was a fake, guess I was wrong. I can't speak for the other actors, but the two mentioned above I like. I'm excited to see how this plays out and learn more about some obscure villains in the DC Universe.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
They should get CCH Pounder (Carol Christine Hilaria) for Amanda Waller because all their listed choices just look kind of bad (especially Oprah).

She's already done her voice for a few Batman games and animated movies, and she fits the part perfectly.

Tell me she's not a perfect Amanda Waller.

I can actually kind of see Jared Leto playing the Joker and I'm totally willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Same with Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

Just about anyone large and imposing could play Rick Flagg, so I'm sure Hardy will be fine.

Jai Courtney could either be pretty decent or really awful from what I've seen of him. I remember him being pretty decent on Spartacus but I Frankenstein was terrible (and yes, I did watch I Frankenstein because pretty much anything is watchable when you're on a plane for 18 hours).

I don't know anything about Cara Delevingne.

Will Smith for Deadshot seems a weird choice. I kind of imagine it turning out like his role in After Earth, Cypher Rage (*snicker*, really, that's what they named him?!). From what I remember of Deadshot he doesn't have much of a sense of humor, and Will Smith's acting is at its best when there's some corny comedy to mix into it.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
I'm cautiously optimistic about pretty much everything in the announcement (other than maybe Delevigne... from what I've seen, another model-turned "actress" who hasn't shown any real shred of acting ability... see also: Gal Gadot). All I can say is:

Pleasedon'tsuckPleasedon'tsuckPleasedon'tsuck!!!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am looking way more forward to this movie rather than BvS:DoJ. Zack Snyder can jump off a cliff and I have had just about all I can take from Christopher Nolan (he is so damn pompous). Anything DC not associated with either of the aforementioned people is a good step. Not to knock what has been done that was good, but I don't feel their particular visions or styles is good for EVERY DC movie.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
They should get CCH Pounder (Carol Christine Hilaria) for Amanda Waller because all their listed choices just look kind of bad (especially Oprah).

She's already done her voice for a few Batman games and animated movies, and she fits the part perfectly.

Tell me she's not a perfect Amanda Waller.

I can actually kind of see Jared Leto playing the Joker and I'm totally willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Same with Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

Just about anyone large and imposing could play Rick Flagg, so I'm sure Hardy will be fine.

Jai Courtney could either be pretty decent or really awful from what I've seen of him. I remember him being pretty decent on Spartacus but I Frankenstein was terrible (and yes, I did watch I Frankenstein because pretty much anything is watchable when you're on a plane for 18 hours).

I don't know anything about Cara Delevingne.

Will Smith for Deadshot seems a weird choice. I kind of imagine it turning out like his role in After Earth, Cypher Rage (*snicker*, really, that's what they named him?!). From what I remember of Deadshot he doesn't have much of a sense of humor, and Will Smith's acting is at its best when there's some corny comedy to mix into it.
She doesn't look like The Wall to me. Have her gain about 150 pounds for the part, then we'll talk.

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn seems like a really clever choice to me, especially considering how perfect her accent was during The Wolf of Wall Street, I'm curious to see how she does in the role. Jared Leto as the Joker, huh, I never would've guessed that as a choice, but sure, why not.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
And the last few years of setting up a part of the DC universe on TV is completely wasted....they've even dedicated like three episodes to the Suicide Squad...

Seriously, they could've eased Arrow and Flash series into the movie universe with the actors playing those characters already instead of going out of their way to get new actors for characters that have already been established in recent live-action...

Though I will say that CCH Pounder is(and has been) much more intimidating than Robinson is in Arrow at the moment. So that would be a change I could agree with.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Isn't this an animated movie? I seem to remember seeing a preview for this while poping in some movie the other day. 'Cause as far as animation goes, Jared Leto has to top Mark Hamill.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
marioandsonic said:
MovieBob said:
I'm not sure about that, Heath Ledger is mostly famous for dying when he played the role, and having an unusual spin on the character. To be honest as time has come between him and the role and it's associated hype it seems more and more people are agreeing with me that he's good, but Jack Nicholson was a FAR superior Joker. Heath Ledger made the role his own, and that's kind of the problem, it's a pre-existing character and Jack Nicholson was a lot closer to the comics. Mark Hamill does the voice acting version perfectly, but it's debatable whether he could actually carry the role live action for the long term, so he's usually mentioned but not considered.

That said this sounds like a huge mess waiting to happen, the people doing this project don't seem to have a bloody clue what they are doing and while they are calling it "Suicide Squad" they seem to be largely pulling characters from different incarnations of the squad and wanting to cast a "classic" Amanda Waller as a portly black chick, as opposed to the sexy black chick and former Team-7 member that currently runs the team in the incarnation that made it popular again (despite some people complaining about her new look, and more hands on approach).

To me they should kind of decide whether this is "new" or "old" school Suicide Squad and be consistent with it as both have their own appeal.

What's more this is kind of the thing that bothers me about race switching. I can see why they want to use Deadshot since he's been a backbone of new Suicide Squad and has appeared in the live action DC universe (Arrow/Flash) where he's apparently achieved some popularity as he shows up fairly regularly. But why on earth would they take one of the more recognizable (at the moment) characters and race switch him other than to get attention, especially when you consider that Bronze Tiger who is black is another big member of the squad (both on TV, and in classic suicide squad). This is one of my problems with the whole race-switching thing, making Deadshot black might get attention and tons of SJWs on a rampage, but at the same time they are doing it they are bypassing a black super villain who could be used and given attention. Heck if they don't want to use Tiger they have Black Spider, who is actually one of the more heroic characters around recently and would fit better with the way Will Smith acts.

I'm not sure about this on a lot of levels, and can't see any of the real classic chemistry here, and without that what's the point of even doing "Suicide Squad".

What's more I seriously hope they are joking about wanting Oprah as Amanda Waller, to be honest she sort of fits the image of the old school version of "The Wall" but she's likely to demand crazy amounts of money, and while she hosts her own programs I'm not sure if I've ever seen her act. It seems like a huge investment of money that could go towards FX and production value just to have a name attached which they are unlikely to be able to re-use without it costing increasingly insane amounts of money... like Robert Downy Jr.'s alleged issue but on a larger scale. Especially if they are putting Will Smith in there too.

IMO if they are going to do this they should probably get some of the people from the TV shows to reprise their roles as they have done okay for the character. If they want a big name, I think they should bring out RZA "The Man With The Iron Fists" himself to play Bronze Tiger (and I mean heck, he already did a movie with an enemy called Bronze Lion).

I'd also personally want to use The Joker *OR* Harley Quinn for a movie like this, probably the latter since she has more time logged with the current squad, and seems to have been doing as well or better as a solo act rather than as a team with The Joker who has a tendency to eclipse her.

Ahh well, a lot of rambling, but that's my thoughts. It's not my movie, and we'll see how it looks. That said it would be amusing if Captain Boomerang says something racist and Deadshot just guns him down in the first 10 seconds of the movie, but I can't see them doing that.

I did not suggest Will Smith play Bronze Tiger because honestly I don't think he has the choreography experience for it, it's not his style of fighting.

We'll see how it looks when it's closer to completion. Right now though it looks like a mess waiting to happen, it seems like someone kind of decided "hey Suicide Squad is becoming sort of cool again right now, so let's get people to play some of our favorite characters and throw them together in a movie" without putting much thought into the plotline, chemistry, or even era.

I mean *nowadays* what's the rationale of having both Rick Flagg and Deadshot? Who leads the team? Plus Tom Hardy as Rick Flagg? What was the logic behind that? figuring he played Bane and fought Batman, so would work for a character who has also fought Batman to a stand still in the comics?

The only way I can think of to make this an even more chaotic mess would be to reveal they have cast someone as Jason Todd so they can have The Joker beat him to death in one of the squad's "greatest moments"... because hey, it's a big moment from the comics, so who cares if it makes sense or can be made to fit with a consistent narrative. Of course then again just being able to watch that jerk get beaten to death might convince me to see the movie multiple times. Like many people I really hated Jason Todd. :)

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Little sad at the lack of Deathstroke, but a Will Smith Deadshot could be fun. This is the only announced DC movie I have even a passing interest in watching, so hopefully it's fun, and isn't afraid of going over the top.
Of all the DC properties to not turn into a gritty, grim dark thematic film with a gray/black color palette, this is it.
[sub][sub]Or you know, Superman, but that ship already sailed.[/sub][/sub]

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Well I liked the animated movie and honestly, the villains of the DC universe are a lot more fun than the heroes... I can definitely get behind this.