So What Is Suicide Squad, Anyway?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
So What Is Suicide Squad, Anyway?

In case you're confused, Bob breaks down Warner Bros. and DC's supervillain supergroup.

Read Full Article

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'm gonna be very curious who they have play Amanda Waller. Every incarnation since the Justice League cartoons went off the air has been a skinny pinprick of a women instead of the meatier badass from before. This has even gone on in the comics which shouldn't need to make her a damn pinprick, but do because sexy bits. I'm still not over how annoyin that is to me.

Do I expect it to change at all? Fuck no, but I can still hold out hope that she won't be paper thin and will instead be, at the very least, not a god damn supermodel.

Edit - I know this is now goin to sound like a throwaway line, since its in the form of an edit, but it will also be important that she's imposing. She absolutely, positively needs to have presence and that presence can't be "I have giant tits." The woman they have playin Amanda Waller in Arrow is an example of that. She's still supermodely, but at the same time you know, just by lookin at the way she carries herself and the way she talks to people, that if she wanted to she could kill you where you stand.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I don't think Oprah has the acting chops. She's got a major name, and a similar story, but does she have the ability to fake those emotions?

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
I wish the article had a little more in terms of character explanations, but the main reason I'm commenting is to lament the 8-page, ad revenue whoring, click bait nature of the article. This was 8 pages of fluff with ads attached.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Well, huh. While I'm really not at all interested in that Superman/Batman crossover movie (which is slightly blasphemous, as despite whatever the quality turns out to be it is going to be a major milestone in geek culture), this one at least has me curious. I'll keep an eye on it.

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
Get Viola Davis for Waller if Oprah's too busy... would probably turn out better. And thanks, Bob, ever since I heard the casting I needed to know more, this is exactly the context I was hoping for... go figure!

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
shintakie10 said:
I'm gonna be very curious who they have play Amanda Waller. Every incarnation since the Justice League cartoons went off the air has been a skinny pinprick of a women instead of the meatier badass from before. This has even gone on in the comics which shouldn't need to make her a damn pinprick, but do because sexy bits. I'm still not over how annoyin that is to me.

Do I expect it to change at all? Fuck no, but I can still hold out hope that she won't be paper thin and will instead be, at the very least, not a god damn supermodel.

Edit - I know this is now goin to sound like a throwaway line, since its in the form of an edit, but it will also be important that she's imposing. She absolutely, positively needs to have presence and that presence can't be "I have giant tits." The woman they have playin Amanda Waller in Arrow is an example of that. She's still supermodely, but at the same time you know, just by lookin at the way she carries herself and the way she talks to people, that if she wanted to she could kill you where you stand.
I'm not crazy about Arrow's take on her. The woman looks like she's in her late-20s and 90 pounds soaking wet (this is CW we're talking about). I'm not saying she should be a perfect replica of the comic book character, but she doesn't give me that intimidating, cold-hearted agent vibe Waller should.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Crimson_Dragoon said:
shintakie10 said:

I'm not crazy about Arrow's take on her. The woman looks like she's in her late-20s and 90 pounds soaking wet (this is CW we're talking about). I'm not saying she should be a perfect replica of the comic book character, but she doesn't give me that intimidating, cold-hearted agent vibe Waller should.
Oh I'm not crazy about the look, but the way she carries herself is perfect. Her facial expressions honestly do feel like she's perfectly willing, and capable, to have someone kill you where you stand with the tiniest gesture. She's able to make herself look in control no matter the situation. If she was about 10 years older and had some more muscle mass on her I'd say she was a perfect Amanda Waller.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
I don't think Oprah has the acting chops. She's got a major name, and a similar story, but does she have the ability to fake those emotions?
Oprah was nominated for an Oscar for her role in The Color Purple (which obviously required a LOT more "emotions" than Suicide Squad will!!!). So... yeah, she's got the acting chops.

On another note... could DC shorten Captain Boomerang to just Boomerang? I'm not so sure... Marvel's got their own villain Boomerang, one of Spidey's C-List villains, and a former Thunderbolt. There frankly is VERY little to differentiate the two characters other than the slightly different name, so it seems like if they tried to just call him "Boomerang", Marvel (or Sony, I guess) might take issue.

Bosque

Mar 5, 2011
I know CCH Pounder will be cast but...
If I had a genie...

Condolezza effing Rice.
I know she's not an actress(on the big screen anyhow), but she was born to play Amanda Waller.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Nu52 SS is bad, real bad. At least the Animated movie was better (though not by much but I liked it regardless.

P.S. It's not implied anymore Ivy and Harley rub leaves regularly since the Nu52. (or at least they've dropped the pretence)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Is the movie going to be PG13? Nothing guarantees a hit movie than a bunch of renowned psychopaths not gruesomely murdering people by the score.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
They just need to get C. C. H. Pounder to play Waller. She had the perfect voice in JLU and she looks the part as well.

Also, in regards to Harley Quinn. Disregard and completely ignore everything outside BTAS or Mad Love. Especially 52. You'll thank me later.
Basically ignore any Harley stuff not written by Paul Dini.

As per Waller: I'm less concerned about appearance and want to make sure they really get someone who can give the "I will kill you" attitude and play that well. That being said appearance still is a concern for me.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Oprah "my butthole's an ATM" Winfrey as Amanda Waller? no.. no .. noooooooooooooooooooo!.. that's an even worst idea then casting will smith as the white character Deadshot.. i hope the oprah casting thing is just a joke ( a really bad joke, but a joke nonetheless).. and i also hope they cast someone else besides will smith as dead shot

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
the idea of Oprah playing Waller feels similar to the idea of Schwarzenegger playing Mr. Freeze.

So... yeah, as much as I love Harley getting on screen and a new Joker coming soon, I'll pass if Oprah gets cast. I can handle a big name like Will Smith because he's at least a good actor. But can we avoid big names for more roles if they aren't actors... or even good actors? Just get people who fit the roles well. Learn your lessons from the problems in the original run of Batman films WB.

Kerric

Jul 28, 2012
What, no appearance of the legendary Suicide Squid?

Ah, how fallen are the mighty heroes of yesteryear...

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Amanda Walker basically resembles a refrigerator with a six-pack of whoopass inside her and it's widely understood that the door is loose.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
Everyone seems to forget she was an actress before the talk show. She got a lot of acclaim for her role in The Color Purple.