2K Announces New Development Studio: Hangar 13

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
2K Announces New Development Studio: Hangar 13

2K's new studio Hangar 13 will be headed by comic book writer and LucasArts veteran Haden Blackman.

If there's one thing a game publisher can never have enough of, it's good developers. Perhaps understanding this, Hangar 13, will be guided by veteran game maker <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127492-Lesbian-Marriage-Too-Tough-For-Batwoman-Authors-Leave>Haden Blackman as well as a simple core mantra: "Every player story is unique."

It's an ideal that's close to Blackman's heart. A longtime developer and former LucasArts employee with more than 20 titles under his belt, Blackman's love of video games dates back to his younger days sharing his experiences playing games with his brothers. It's these sorts of memories that he hopes to create for gamers with Hangar 13. How does he intend to achieve this goal? Simply put, by making good games. "Our ambition is to create next-generation games that allow players to shape their own experiences, from the moment-to-moment gameplay, to the long-term impact on the world, characters and narrative."

Speaking with The Escapist, Blackman further affirmed his belief that many of the best moments in video games come from "unexpected things that happen as a result of the way" players interact with "systems working underneath the hood." "My hope," he said. "Is that, at the end of the day, people will look at [our] game and feel like it was a different experience that they can go back, replay and make different choices at every level."

Sadly, while Blackman and 2K had no trouble expressing their enthusiasm for Hangar 13's coming projects, they couldn't offer many specific details as to what exactly they'll be. All they would say was that the studio's projects will be AAA, use proprietary technology and be developed by "a core team passionate about delivering mature experiences loaded with meaningful choices." Suffice it to say, we'll be looking forward to learning exactly what that means.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Seems everyones doing the whole GG thing elsewhere, so this article needs some love.
Not sure what to say about this. I just wish they could have at least hinted at any form of project, otherwise there isnt anything really to get excited about.
Shouldve called it hanger 18 methinks ;)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I just looked the guy up. The force unleashed, Star Wars bounty hunter, star wars star fighter... Not bad, but not impressive. He seems ambitious, though, and I like that. I suspect we'll get more action titles with fairly average stories.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Seems everyones doing the whole GG thing elsewhere, so this article needs some love.
Not sure what to say about this. I just wish they could have at least hinted at any form of project, otherwise there isnt anything really to get excited about.
I know, right?! I saw the studio name and I was like "MEGADETH!"

But then I saw it was a 3 instead of an 8. :(

But hey, gives me an excuse to post this:

OT: Blackman seemed quite enthusiastic when I spoke to him which I found to be quite heartening. We'll see what they do

mrbah

Sep 16, 2014
more studios -> more games -> more good games.
by the way, how come so many stuidos are in expensive areas, are there venezian developers?

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Based on the Hangar 13 name I was hoping that 2K was jumping on the space combat sim bandwagon. Then I read "a core team passionate about delivering mature experiences loaded with meaningful choices." Nope, just a third person shooter with moral choices.

Back to dredging the depth of scum and villainy that is Steam Greenlight.

I never thought I'd see the day when I was hoping AAA was step in and deliver me from mediocrity and broken promises.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
StewShearer said:

OT: Blackman seemed quite enthusiastic when I spoke to him which I found to be quite heartening. We'll see what they do
Dave Mustaine approves of this post. :)
Ok i may just be quoting mainly to multiply the song link, but ah well, im only vaugely human.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Ambitious developer will make an awesome game, not many people will play awesome game and developer will be layed off.

See also Titan Quest, Clover Studio, and pretty much every one of these that EA starts.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Ninja'd with the Megadeth reference, but I'm always glad to see new talent show up. We've got to keep the industry oxygenated, metaphorically speaking. It's not exactly emergent gameplay, but I love it when devs design layers to their work that we never CONSCIOUSLY interact with, or that we manipulate indirectly. I know it makes me sound like one of those coerced YouTube reviewers who were contractually obligated to go gaga over the Nemesis System in Shadow of Mordor, but I really do like what that brings to the open-world stealth genre.

There's a sense of agency and control, but it's never so present as to really drown out the notion that you're one guy surrounded with a small country's worth of uglies. Unpredictability and the means to toy around with it in one convenient package. I call that a stroke of genius.

Any dev that even dreams of playing around and creating devices like this - things that tweak your expectations and capabilities - earns a thumbs-up in my book.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
StewShearer said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

Thy service to the gods of Metal has not gone unnoticed my young paladin. The gods of Metal shall reward thee in ways unseen before. Believe me when I say that thou art in goood hansd.