Grim Fandango Remastered Coming Next Month

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Grim Fandango Remastered Coming Next Month

The wait is almost over for the remastered version of LucasArts' classic noir adventure.

One of E3's biggest and best surprises was the announcement of Grim Fandango Remastered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135191-Grim-Fandango-Remastered-Returning-From-The-Afterlife]. Double Fine's Tim Schafer took the stage at the PlayStation Experience keynote earlier today with an exciting update: the remake of the 1998 point-and-click adventure is coming to PlayStation 4, Vita, PC, Mac, and Linux on January 27.

Set in the dark underworld of the Land of the Dead, Grim Fandango was different from its LucasArts point-and-click predecessors in a couple of important ways. Aside from being darker in tone, it ditched the long-used SCUMM engine (named for Maniac Mansion) for the newer GrimE engine. Grim Fandango hasn't been available to buy or download in any other form since its original release, so the remastered version will mark the first time in over a decade it can be easily purchased and played.

Sony's keynote was filled with nonstop announcements and trailers, but between Grim Fandango Remastered and Day of the Tentacle Special Edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138928-Double-Fine-Announced-Day-of-the-Tentacle-at-PlayStation-Experience], Double Fine may have just stolen the show.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Ok, so this is great news but I really hope it lands on GOG.com along with DotT. And Discworld, if someone could remaster Discworld too that'd be great thanks!

sieswerda

Aug 4, 2014
Grim Fandango is one of my favorite games of all time. Hell, I still have the original disc, and play it through every few years. If you missed out the first time, you've gotta check this out!

Sosa Star

Nov 23, 2009
Never played this game, but I've always be curious. I look forward to picking it up.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Bentusi16 said:
Grim Fandango is a really fun game with a really interesting atmosphere and characters.

I can say I really enjoyed it.

That being said, I refuse to buy this after the SpaceBase DF-9 fiasco by double fine. I urge others to read about what happened and learn and see why I'm no longer buying products made by this company.
or share a link and explane?

Ot: so much want for this to play with ease and not the aging version on older OS

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Who is responsible for this? If it's LucasArts that means Disney actually did something with the old properties.

Edit: Just saw the earlier Day of the Tentacle post. Wow. Disney is really taking care of the old stuff. I'm blow away.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Veldie said:
Bentusi16 said:
Grim Fandango is a really fun game with a really interesting atmosphere and characters.

I can say I really enjoyed it.

That being said, I refuse to buy this after the SpaceBase DF-9 fiasco by double fine. I urge others to read about what happened and learn and see why I'm no longer buying products made by this company.
or share a link and explane?

Ot: so much want for this to play with ease and not the aging version on older OS
http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/22/spacebase-df-9-development-cease-tim-schafer-response/

Basically, SpaceBase purchasers feel shafted because development was 6 months in alpha, then the dev team went silent for 3 months, then they released one big-ish update, then they broke the news that the game was hitting 1.0 'release' in a state that had more dead-end half implemented features than actual gameplay.

Combined with the mismanagement of 3.3 million dollars for the Broken Age kickstarter, Schafer isn't very popular right now.

For what it's worth, I'm sure my DF-9 purchase made the Grim Fandango release possible!

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I'm really torn. Gods, how I wish this wasn't being put out by Double Fine. Schafer has been royally ticking me off for a year now... but I've been wanting a Grim Fandango re-release for a decade.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol. have the original disc but the game doenst work well on todays system. at least i wasnt bale to get it run properly. now this sounds very promising. if the price is right, im getting it. otherwise wait for a discount.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
A remake and a remaster are different things. They're not interchangeable.

Apr 5, 2008
I'm just looking forward to being able to get past the elevator without having to download a program to fill my CPU cycles with 99% junk.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Fucking. Finally.
I have been trying to get this game for sometime, with the only options being piracy or buying it for extortionate prices from ebay, neither of which are guaranteed to work anyway, and at the very least, will require some heavy tinkering with stuff. Hopefully it'll be looking nice, I would imagine that some cellshading would add a nice touch.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
JarinArenos said:
I'm really torn. Gods, how I wish this wasn't being put out by Double Fine. Schafer has been royally ticking me off for a year now... but I've been wanting a Grim Fandango re-release for a decade.
I love this game but I am not giving Mr. Shitface any more of my money ever again.

For people who don't know, Tim took money from Indiefund investors to build Spacebase DF9, and then did a kickstarter as well taking money from fans. If that wasn't enough, he released an incomplete game on Steam Early access with promises of finishing the game off.

What happened then is that he took all the money he made from Kickstarter and Early access and paid back his buddies in Indiefund, and yes, if you look at their names, they're all friends of his and stopped all development of DF9, leaving fans who backed it as well as those who bought it on Early access completely screwed.

He is freaking terrible at money and budgeting and when push comes to shove he will always screw over his customers and protect his friends from any risk. This is not the kind of man who should be held up as anything other than an example of the absolute worst kind of practices in the game development scene.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Jup, day one buy for me. As is the 'Day of the Tentacle' remake. I just hope these two games will do well and open the doors for additional LucasArts Special Editions. Still hoping for HD versions of 'Full Throttle', 'Indy & Atlantis' and 'The Dig'.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
Jake Martinez said:
JarinArenos said:
I love this game but I am not giving Mr. Shitface any more of my money ever again.

For people who don't know, Tim took money from Indiefund investors to build Spacebase DF9, and then did a kickstarter as well taking money from fans. If that wasn't enough, he released an incomplete game on Steam Early access with promises of finishing the game off.

What happened then is that he took all the money he made from Kickstarter and Early access and paid back his buddies in Indiefund, and yes, if you look at their names, they're all friends of his and stopped all development of DF9, leaving fans who backed it as well as those who bought it on Early access completely screwed.

He is freaking terrible at money and budgeting and when push comes to shove he will always screw over his customers and protect his friends from any risk. This is not the kind of man who should be held up as anything other than an example of the absolute worst kind of practices in the game development scene.
I know. It leaves me quite torn.

On one hand, these re-releases are excellent games. And also exactly what fans have been clamoring for.
But at the same time, I fall in the "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice..." type of people. And he's been doing a lot of fooling lately.

OH! And don't forget that the prototype was funded by fans watching the Amnesia Fortnight Humble Bundle. And that they are still selling the "game" on Steam.

From the DF-9 team during Alpha 6:
"Double Fine is not a random fly-by-night indie dev and we are not going to silently pull the plug on Spacebase or any other in-development project. Doing so would be disastrous for our reputation and it would kill us emotionally "

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Yup, fuck double fine right now, i'm not giving that prick any more of my money.