Harry Potter (And Draco Malfoy) Return in 12 New Short Stories This Month

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Harry Potter (And Draco Malfoy) Return in 12 New Short Stories This Month

At least one of the 12 new stories will focus on Harry's arch-rival: Draco Malfoy.

J.K. Rowling has revealed quite a nice Christmas surprise to her loyal Harry Potter fans: the boy wizard will return in 12 new short stories this month. In line with the old "Twelve Days of Christmas" tradition, Rowling will be releasing one new story every day from December 12 until December 24.

The author told fans via her Pottermore newsletter that that each new installment would be posted at 1 pm GMT (8am ET) every day. The email promises that "wonderful writing by J.K. Rowling in Moments from Half-Blood Prince, shiny gold Galleons and even a new potion or two."

We don't really know anything else about these stories, except that one of them will have a focus on Harry's rival and anti-hero: Draco Malfoy.

Earlier in the year, Rowling wrote more than 5,000 words of new Harry Potter content for the Pottermore site, including her personal opinions on the character of Dolores Umbridge, a teacher at Hogwarts whom she compared to Lord Voldemort because of her "desire to control, to punish, and to inflict pain, all in the name of law and order".

What do you think of Rowling continually adding more Harry Potter universe content? Are you happy for more, or would you rather she just moved on to a new project?

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harry-potter/11276065/JK-Rowling-Draco-Malfoy-pottermore.html]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Malfoy? Interesting. Now that I think about it would be cool to see what happens to him after Voldemort's fall. I mean, for the most part his family was brow beaten into following him the second time around, and his mission to assassinate Dumbledore was pretty much Voldemort trying to get him killed to punish his father. Still, he pretty much DID cause a Death Eater invasion of Hogwarts, which lead to Dumbledore dying and Bill Weaselly getting mauled by a werewolf. On the other hand he did cover for Harry a few times so...he's kind of really in a no man's land after the war. Not a clear cut supporter of Voldemort, but at the same time you can't really call him a good guy.

I'd like to see exactly what happens to him and what he becomes.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I love seeing more added on to the Potter-story. After all, even if you DID kill the most infamous Dark Lord in a Century, the school years are just the beginning of what's sure to be a pretty exciting life for Harry and his buddies (and their children). The only thing is, I'd much rather see these collected into a book that I can purchase...nothing against Pottermore, I just want to read through everything in a book or as an e-Book.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Jiggle Counter said:
Yay, more harry potter slash...
Look at the bright side. The more she writes, the less there is for fans to make horrible headcanons about.

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
Queen Michael said:
Jiggle Counter said:
Yay, more harry potter slash...
Look at the bright side. The more she writes, the less there is for fans to make horrible headcanons about.
Nothing stops fan fiction, they'll just put amnesia-indusing potions to undo any newly written content, or use some magical time machine (aka gay sex in the tardis because WHY NOT)

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
erttheking said:
Malfoy? Interesting. Now that I think about it would be cool to see what happens to him after Voldemort's fall. I mean, for the most part his family was brow beaten into following him the second time around, and his mission to assassinate Dumbledore was pretty much Voldemort trying to get him killed to punish his father. Still, he pretty much DID cause a Death Eater invasion of Hogwarts, which lead to Dumbledore dying and Bill Weaselly getting mauled by a werewolf. On the other hand he did cover for Harry a few times so...he's kind of really in a no man's land after the war. Not a clear cut supporter of Voldemort, but at the same time you can't really call him a good guy.

I'd like to see exactly what happens to him and what he becomes.
Whatever it is, I'm sure it will involve leather pants.

( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DracoInLeatherPants 1st thing I thought of hearing a new story would be about him.)

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
She has officially become the new Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Trapped by her own success.
She's getting there, but she has to hate her creation a little more first I think.
Also like whatever she comes up with next so much she starts cosplaying as them like Doyle did with Professor Challenger.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
What do you think of Rowling continually adding more Harry Potter universe content? Are you happy for more, or would you rather she just moved on to a new project?
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
She has officially become the new Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Trapped by her own success.
That's not really fair. She has a reasonably successful series of mystery novels which she writes under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. In fact they were well reviewed before someone at a law firm leaked that Robert Galbraith was her pseudonym. Its not like Harry Potter is Game of Thrones or the Wheel of Time.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
^ It must have been really affirming/exhausting for Rowling to get good reviews under a pseudonym, and then as soon as her name was revealed, the bad reviews started rolling in en masse. That must have been a very "I *knew* it; fuck these people" kind of moment.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
teknoarcanist said:
^ It must have been really affirming/exhausting for Rowling to get good reviews under a pseudonym, and then as soon as her name was revealed, the bad reviews started rolling in en masse. That must have been a very "I *knew* it; fuck these people" kind of moment.
She wasn't happy (http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-23366660) but her book did instantly rise to the top of the amazon sales list so it wasn't all bad. I haven't read either of the books in the series, but looking online both are currently reviewed fairly well both by customers and by critics. Its an interesting story overall. She actually had the book turned down by at least one publisher (who is probably kicking themselves at this point) and a couple of early reviews said that the book was too well written for a first time writer. This kind of thing isn't unheard of. Something similar happened with Stephen King when he wrote under the name Richard Bachman.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
As long as she honestly still loves the world and characters and isn't just doing it because she's got nothing else creatively to speak of, I'm just fine with it. More power to her in fact. I can see though that the cynical tone attached to the previous statement isn't backed up at all by way of just a gut feeling she does care about the world she created. Its awesome. Admittedly though I was against the Potter stuff at the beginning, didn't think I'd ever get into it. I admit it was wrong because I hadn't read a word of it when I was already judging it. I gave the series a chance and was absolutely surprised. That's one of the reasons why I've stopped my first impression judgments at the door and let something get a fair chance to fail on its own, as long as I'm genuinely interested. I did give Twilight a chance but couldn't slog through the piss poor writing.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
In line with the old "Twelve Days of Christmas" tradition, Rowling will be releasing one new story every day from December 12 until December 24.
So not actually in line with the old "Twelve Days of Christmas" tradition at all, which runs from December 25th to January 5th (or 6th, depending on who you ask).