Ralph Baer, "Father of The Video Game Console", Passes Away

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ralph Baer, "Father of The Video Game Console", Passes Away

Ralph Baer, creator of the very first video game system, the Magnavox Odyssey, has passed away aged 92.

Many of you may have never heard of Ralph Baer, but his influence in the video game industry has been on par with, and even exceeding, many of the big names we are familiar with today. A true pioneer, Baer developed what is arguably the very first video game system: The Brown Box. Of course, you would probably know it as the Magnavox Odyssey, as Baer's invention was re-branded as for its 1972 release.

Independent sources close to Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/231730/Obituary_Ralph_Baer_father_of_video_games_passes_away.php] have confirmed that Baer has passed away at the age of 92.

Furthermore, Duck Hunt fans should know that Baer also invented the light gun, what was arguably the very first video game peripheral. His legacy also includes the interactive video game Simon, and countless other inventions.

He'd been widely recognized for his achievements throughout the course of his life, such as receiving the National Medal of Technology from President George W. Bush, and an induction into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.

So let's all take a minute to remember Ralph Baer, the man who has been dubbed the "Father of Video Games," and has been an important man in the development of our hobby.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/231730/Obituary_Ralph_Baer_father_of_video_games_passes_away.php]

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
R.I.P Ralph you helped started a new medium and pretty much in a sense made duck hunt, you will be missed good sir.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
R.I.P. Ralph Baer

I most notably remember him from this excellent cameo at Video Games Live 2010 where he won a game of PONG against a young whippersnapper.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Thank you Ralph Baer, and rest in peace. May we never forget what you gave to the world. Welcome to the next level.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
May he rest in peace, he literally changed the world, created an entire art-form.

Forever his name should be remembered.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
We owe great memories and blisters to him.

Here's to Ralph, for whom none of us would be Here.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Yet another great man leaves this Earth for what comes after, Rest in Peace sir.

The first console was released in 1972 huh? Hard to believe it's been that long, though about the furthest back I know of in videogame history is the great crash in 1983. We sure have come quite a ways since then haven't we? All thanks to this man...

Thank you Ralph Baer, for helping to create this incredible medium.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
May he play all the videogames he influenced in the Gaming Heaven. Brethren we have lost a great man on that day. May he rest in peace.