The Witcher 3 Delayed Yet Again

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The Witcher 3 Delayed Yet Again

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date has been pushed back once again so CD Projekt Red can address any game-breaking bugs.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is perhaps the most anticipated game from CD Projekt yet, expanding Geralt's dark fantasy world <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125736-Witcher-3-Developer-Calls-Skyrim-Casual>to a Skyrimesque scope. With the release date <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132833-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Delayed-To-2015>pushed back to February, it seemed like the trilogy's conclusion was finally in sight. Or at least it was, until CD Projekt revealed The Witcher 3 needs more time to correct bugs, and will launch on May 19, 2015.

"The sheer size and complexity of The Witcher, key features of the title, have had a decisive impact on production," CD Projekt wrote in an open letter. "Now, nearing the end of our work, we see many details that need to be corrected. When we release the most important game in our studio's history, we must be absolutely sure that we did everything we could to limit any bugs to a level that will allow you to enjoy the game thoroughly."

"We owe you an apology," the letter continues. "We set the release date too hastily. It's a hard lesson, one to take to heart for the future. We know what we want to do to make Wild Hunt one of the best RPGs you will ever play. And we continue to work hard to achieve just that. So, we apologize and ask for your trust."

While my first instinct is to flip my desk over, in the long run this is probably the best decision. CD Projekt is very similar to Valve in that launch delays usually lead to a stable and more refined product, which should make fans happier overall. This is especially true as other major Triple A games, including <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12620-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Review>Dragon Age: Inquisition, face criticism over glitches and bugs.

The question now is whether the extra 12 weeks will be enough to correct the issues CD Projekt is referring to. Here's hoping we find out in May 2015 and not May 2016.

Source: VG24/7

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Gives me more time to get a job and get the money for a new computer than can run this thing. If I don't have a job by then, then I've got bigger problems than not being able to run The Witcher 3.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a little disappointed since I had a week booked off work for it. But I'm also glad they're taking the time they need to polish it up before releasing it so they give us the most stable product they can. If only other developers did that instead of releasing a buggy, broken mess because they know they can fix it later. *looks and Ubisoft*

Heartsib

Jul 2, 2014
Hm. Well, it means I still have time to scrape together money for a pre-order.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am glad they are taking there time but October to Janurary and now May. That is a hell of a delay. there must be some serious problems with the game right now.

Still better a long wait than Day 1 patches with week 2 patches.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Can I just say that it's pretty fucking sad that the state of the industry has caused me to view delays as a sign that the devlopers really care?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Better to delay it than to release a broken game. However, these guys don't have a lot of money like Ubisoft and EA. I hope these delays won't have a negative effect on their business.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
However, these guys don't have a lot of money like Ubisoft and EA. I hope these delays won't have a negative effect on their business.
While they don't have Ubisoft or EA amounts of money, CD Projekt are also the guys that run Good Old Games. They won't be running dry any time soon.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I'd rather have a half-broken game now than a finished game a few weeks later.
I'm wondering if anybody actually ever thinks this.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
You know it's a sick industry when delays inspire more confidence than meeting deadlines.

I'm glad CD Projekt Red remains one of the most honest and consumer friendly companies out there.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I'm a little disappointed since I had a week booked off work for it. But I'm also glad they're taking the time they need to polish it up before releasing it so they give us the most stable product they can. If only other developers did that instead of releasing a buggy, broken mess because they know they can fix it later. *looks and Ubisoft*
Just had to reply to say that your avatar pic is excellent.

That's one of my favorite box art pictures.

Raziel in particular may be one my favorite fictional characters in any medium.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
aquarius87 said:
take all the time you need CD Project.
masterpieces aren't made overnight
Yep. I wish more developers was like this. If a game is delayed and released to perfection, what people will remember is the perfection.

If a game is not delayed, and releases riddled with bugs...what people will remember is the bugs.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'm in denial.

This game will release in Exam season now...meaning no free time in which to play it.

It's going to be undoubtedly great and I won't be able to play it ;_;

Fuck it, I'm going into denial. Come February 24th, I'll play The Witcher 2 again and pretend that it's The Witcher 3.

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
I have no problem with this. I would rather they release a working game than a broken piece of crap like Ubisoft, Creative Assembly, EA, etc, etc like to do.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
jurnag12 said:
Adam Jensen said:
However, these guys don't have a lot of money like Ubisoft and EA. I hope these delays won't have a negative effect on their business.
While they don't have Ubisoft or EA amounts of money, CD Projekt are also the guys that run Good Old Games. They won't be running dry any time soon.
THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH!!!

I was wondering where the generosity was coming from, when I found that I had been given free copies of Witcher 1 and 2, on my GOG account and that the best pre-order offer for the third game can be found on the same website.

And while that may sound like poorly disguised, shameless advertising for GOG, it's merely intended to be a revelation/observation on my part.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
I would like to preface this by saying I'd much prefer a higher quality game, regardless of when it comes out. I have high hopes for the Witcher 3, and thoroughly believe CD Projekt can meet, if not exceed, those hopes.

[HEADING=3]FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKK[/HEADING]
I was really looking forward to this for the drier times in February-March, and knew that would be a relatively low workload time over the semester.
Now it comes at the tail end of exam week. I'm currently in dorm housing, and didn't plan on staying any more than I have too. This means my preferred shipping address goes back home, which is 15 hours of driving away from school.
Normally, this wouldn't be an issue. If I used Amazon, then I could simply change shipping destinations.
But no, Amazon had to run out of the CEs, and I used Gamestop. Which doesn't have a default option for changing shipping locations. So now I have to wade through Gamestop's customer service to see if I can change it, or pay out the nose for ridiculous shipping costs so I know I get the Witcher before I leave campus/my on campus address changes.
And no one else offers the CE anymore (which regardless of whether or not the game is good, there's enough physical Witcher stuff in there to be worth even as a fan of the books)
FUCK

I'm sure that CD Projekt will use the new time wisely. The Witcher games got me to start reading the books (translate them already), and I loved the in-game tales.
But maybe next time don't announce (even free) DLC before you're absolutely, positively, 150% sure of your release date.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
A lot more publishers could do with developing the attitude of we'll release it when it's ready. Instead of we'll release it when it'll make shareholders more money.