This Week's Destiny Strike Only Available to Players with DLC

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
This Week's Destiny Strike Only Available to Players with DLC

The Destiny expansion The Dark Below launched today, but players who have not bought into it will not be able to play the previously free weekly strikes.

Destiny's expansion The Dark Below went live today, adding some story missions and multiplayer maps. It also adds a strike, but at the expense of Destiny players who have not bought the expansion.

Strikes are weekly challenging missions in high-level dungeons with rewards necessary for high-level gear. The heroic strike occurs every Tuesday, selected by Destiny developer Bungie. However, this week the strike "The Will of Crota" is a part of The Dark Below expansion. Any players without the DLC cannot participate.

Additionally, only the highest-level Roc strikes earn the player engrams since Bungie's alteration of the strike playlists. Those strikes are available only to DLC owners.

Two strikes are included with the expansion on the PS4, whereas only one Strike is included on the Xbox One. The Dark Below costs the same for both consoles.

Hopefully next week's strike will be open to all players, but Bungie seems like it's pushing players to buying into the expansion if they plan on keeping up with other players. Strikes offered through the DLC could have been additions or alternates to strikes open to all players, but then that wouldn't encourage people to buy in.

The Dark Below expansion is available today for $20.

Source: GameFront [http://www.gamefront.com/destinys-latest-weekly-strike-locked-behind-dlc/]

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Well, that's disappointing to hear, though not unexpected. I recently stopped playing Destiny because of a series of changes that they've been making that honestly didn't feel like they were making the game more fun, they just made elements of the game take longer. A real shame too; in the month and a half that I did play the game, I managed to get 3 characters up to decently high levels, I got through the Vault of Glass a few times, and amassed a small collection of exotics and legendaries to boot. Was on the fence about the expansions for a while but eventually decided against it due to my copy being an xbox version, since my old friends and I still play the 360 a bunch, and it generally just not being worth the $35. Sad to see my assertion was correct. Real shame too, since even with all of its problems it was still a fun game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
What a scumbag tactic. People pay $60 for a game that only has 15 hours of content that requires hundreds of hours of grinding, then they divide their player base between those who purchased further content and those who are on the original content. Man, I'm so glad I didn't buy into the hype on that one.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if there was more content in the original game. You can't access new areas in WoW without the right expansion, but you can go through a whole lot of hours in the area before the expansion content. And to break up the coop like that, it just doesn't make sense.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
And this is why people are returning Destiny in droves. This isn't like an MMO, where you either pay your subscription fee or you don't get to play, an agreed upon contract the player commits to whenever they pick up a pay-to-play like WoW of FFXIV. This is Bungie/Activision literally bullying players for money, and what's worse is they're screwing over the players whose money they already have; fine, make the Dark Below exclusive to PS3/4 for a while, that's acceptable, but then to section off the Strike that it comes with to Xbox users until Fall of 2015, which could be nearly a year from now? That's sort of like a big middle finger to the Expansion Pass holders, and just one more reason why people need to stop buying season passes.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This is exactly why I did not give a milli-fuck about Destiny when the announced it. Bungie, combined with a major publisher, means some multiplayer sections are gonna be set behind a pay-wall eventually. This might not be as bad, if more Strikes are made that don't need payed DLC. Just don't hold your breath on that.

It's understandable that they want to make the purchases of DLC owners worthwhile, too. That just comes with the double-edged sword of pissing off those without the DLC. It would be nice if they did two simultaneous Strikes for a couple weeks or alternated them just ease the players without the DLC into buying it, but who knows what they'll do or if Activision is already blinded by that $500 million price tag and wants to start making the profit sooner.

Still bitter here about MS/Bungie making things like Team Swat in Halo 2/3 go behind pay walls a week or so after map packs came out, though. They did eventually make some packs free, but by then a new one was coming out. (I don't think Activsion will make their DLC free, though.)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I understand that Bungie want to sell their new "expansion", but that should be done through advertising new content, not gating people off from their usual content. This is a really dickish move on Bungie's part, and they should either open up a non-DLC weekly strike, or remove the the DLC requirements all together. This is not how you treat the people who purchased the game.

"We know that you already spent $60/£40 on our new game, but if you could spend an extra $20/£20 (who the fuck worked that out) if you want to continue your weekly strikes uninterrupted, then that would be greeeeeeat."

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wait, they took away our weekly strike? The basic means we have to obtain strange coins in any large number? *sigh*

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
*sigh*

This is Activision's doing. It's all Activision. Why did you sell out to them, Bungie?

WHY?

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
I could also use that Sparrow (the one you can do tricks on) which was supposedly just for Dark Below owners even though I don't own it, turns out it was just a really asshole marketing move because they locked it away on the day of the expansion's release and then asked me to pay to further use it.

Not cool, guys, not cool.