Father Teaches Son Gaming History the Hard Way: Playing It

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Father Teaches Son Gaming History the Hard Way: Playing It

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/30341446900912128]

Gamer Andy Baio made his son play through classic games chronologically before letting him near modern titles.

One of the biggest conundrums I faced after I became a father was deciding how I was going to introduce my daughter to video games. I knew I wanted to do it sooner rather than later, but I often got stuck figuring out exactly how it would happen. Should I show her a modern game, replete with HD graphics, voice acting and high quality music? Or should I start her back where I began, with the glorious simplicity of the NES? I knew that whatever I chose, it could potentially serve to shape her perceptions of video games for the rest of her life.

Facing this decision with his own child, father <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111271-Chiptune-Cover-Album-Leads-to-Huge-Legal-Bill>Andy Baio decided to enact an ambitious plan aimed at fostering a deep and historical appreciation of games in his son. Beginning in 2008, Baio spent years running his son Eliot through a chronological course of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/goodoldreviews>retro games starting at the age of four. "I started him with a Pac-Man plug-and-play TV game loaded with arcade classics&#8202;," said Baio, describing the earliest days of Eliot's gaming. "Until the moment he picked up the joystick, part of me secretly dreaded he'd have no interest in it."

Eliot did though, and, over the course of the following years, Baio guided his son through an evolving line-up of games, moving him onto new consoles as he outgrew the old ones. After four months with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133509-E-T-Atari-2600-Cartridge-Dig-in-New-Mexico-Cleared-to-Begin>the Atari 2600 he started playing the NES. From there he progressed up through the Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 and onward into the 2000s era with the PS2 and into the modern day. It was a process that Baio feels had a definite effect on Eliot's tastes. "This approach to widely surveying classic games clearly had an impact on him, and influenced the games that he likes now," he said. "Like seemingly every kid his age, he loves Minecraft. No surprises there. But he also loves brutally difficult games that challenge gamers 2-3 times his age, and he's frighteningly good at them. His favorites usually borrow characteristics from roguelikes: procedurally-generated levels, permanent death, no save points."

While you could perhaps argue that Baio should have let Eliot naturally develop his own tastes, as someone who grew up just a few years later than Baio, it's hard not to appreciate what he did and why he did it. As I've been getting older I've noticed myself more regularly running into kids who have never even seen an NES cartridge before, let alone played one. It's sad because many old games offer experiences that you just don't get from most modern titles. Perhaps Baio put it best himself: "Eliot's early exposure to games with limited graphics inoculated him from the flashy, hyper-realistic graphics found in today's AAA games. He can appreciate retro graphics on its own terms, and focus on the gameplay."

Source: <a href=https://medium.com/message/playing-with-my-son-e5226ff0a7c3>Medium

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
What a great dad. I'm pretty sure the kid evolved his own taste naturally even if his father chose what games he played first. His father didnt have a hand in which of them he liked or not after all.

Also...I wish more parents could be like this. Involved in their kids, and more importantly their kids EDUCATION. While games might seem superficial, the way this has been handled can be applied to most things. I wish more kids got the chance to evolve their minds instead of being force fed a standard diet :|

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Too bad his son had to miss out on DOS games. He missed out on a lot of gaming history.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I started my niece and nephews on NES. Easier controls and simpler graphics let them build the hand eye coordination needed to grasp the newer stuff.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've always joked about doing this. Good to see someone going through with it. The kid certainly isn't suffering for it.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I read this and had the thought of the child rebellion against dad forcing their hobbies on them, but now it's in reverse:

"Stop fooling around in that damn garage and pick up the controller."

"Why should I?"

"I'm not telling you again, press Start right now or you're grounded!"

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME AT ALL!"

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
It'd be a problem if the kid hated it and you forced him to play - then you'd be like one of those Moms who decides the kid needs to be Miss America at age 5.

But as long as he's having a blast it's win-win.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
My unfortunate progeny are going to start on Commodore 64. Mine still works. I think those C64 load times taught me patience and I am still very patient with people and systems today.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Actually, in my utopian fantasy i would enforce a regimen like that for everyone.

'Want to play the latest Call of Duty? Too bad, you must complete the campaigns of every previous CoD and log X hours in each of thier multiplayer modes.'

'Want to play the Borderlands MMO? Well you must complete True Vault Hunter mode in every previous Borderlands game with at least two characters each.'

'Want to play MGSV? Then you must complete each Metal Gear game in order of release.'

etc.

If i were to have any children (not in the forseeable future for certain, and i can see quite a long way) i think i would have to start them on old PC games.

Pretty much all of the old consoles i grew up on have broke and/or been cleared off by my parents.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Creating a 80/90s gamer in 2014? He'll be a superpower in a decade or two when actual 90s gamers becomes rare and his competition is nothing but CoDlodytes and casuals.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well, he is still young enough that you can control his gaming habits like that. And I'm assuming he doesn't know other kids who do play games? Or see his parents play other games?

I mean, nothing wrong with doing this, as long as the kid likes it and wants to.
But if your kid has friends who have the newest Pokemon, trying to keep them from wanting to play those games is kinda assholish thing to do.

When you grew up, you probably had friends who played those same games. Would you then deny the same from your kid?
And if you need to keep your kid from playing newer games in fear that they'd not enjoy the older ones, maybe those games just aren't as good? They might have their place in history, but...

My mum has a love of literacy, and she just let me go through her bookcase. So I grew up with very good books. She just let the quality speak for itself. So, if the only way you can make kids play the same games you did as a kid is by limiting what they can play, maybe your precious childhood games really weren't as good as you like to think?

In any case, being involved with your kid's hobbies is good. As long as they're having fun too.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
StewShearer said:
While you could perhaps argue that Baio should have let Eliot naturally develop his own tastes, as someone who grew up just a few later than Baio, it's hard not to appreciate what he did and why he did it.
Translation:

"While you could perhaps argue that Baio should have let the market develop Eliot's tastes, as someone who grew up just a few later than Baio, it's hard not to appreciate what he did and why he did it."

I think what the father did was commendable. In fact, one should probably make an effort to historically situate their children in a variety of fields (history, philosophy, science, etc.) and not just those relating to commercial products.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Lieju said:
But if your kid has friends who have the newest Pokemon, trying to keep them from wanting to play those games is kinda assholish thing to do.
To be honest making your kid play Red & Blue before the newer ones would be an asshole thing to do, those games did not age well at all.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
spartandude said:
Lieju said:
To be honest making your kid play Red & Blue before the newer ones would be an asshole thing to do, those games did not age well at all.
True. I played Pokemon from Red onwards, and gen 2 is my favourite because playing it I had the feeling of 'NOW they got it!'

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I plan to do a similar thing when I have kids, start them on my old PS1 and PC collections then work them upto modern. I tip my hat to this guy :)

webkilla said:
Gamer parenting done right
Precisely

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
This is probably one of the better ways to go about it. It opens up the potential for his son to enjoy many excellent games which he might not otherwise have enjoyed if he started with the latest Call of Duty. At least in my personal experience, depending on where you start in gaming there is a minimum graphical quality past which it's damn hard to enjoy a game. At least at first. For example, I just can't get into Baldur's Gate, despite having enjoyed Fallout 1 and growing up playing Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2. It just hurts my eyes and the UI/restrictive field of vision just piss me off.

I'm glad there are still some in the new generations who can enjoy the gems of the past, at least when it comes to games.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Every time my son picks up minecraft and chooses to putz around in creative, while I urge him to play survival, I wish I had done this.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Other than referring to the whole thing as an experiment, I don't mind this at all. Of course, I do hope that moving forward he keeps introducing his son (and himself) to new games instead of just relying on what is deemed to be a classic traditional game.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
A bit on the fence, it's one thing to expose your kid to classics that you loved growing up. But it's another thing making a kid complete each and every game of your choosing. Part of the experience growing up and playing games of the past that it honestly was a giant shit fest. Back in the day most kids would only get a game around Christmas or their birthday, and without instant access to the internet you were essentially gambling on whether or not a game would be good. And a lot of times you'd end up with a stinker, but since that was your only form of entertainment for a few months you'd slog through it and then really appreciate it when you struck gold and got a good game.

Imo, forming a good sense of taste is experience the good and the bad, not just being fed the best.