Subnautica, The Underwater Exploration FPS From NS2 Devs, Hits Steam

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Subnautica, The Underwater Exploration FPS From NS2 Devs, Hits Steam

Subnautica is an open-world underwater exploration game, where you can gather resources, build submarines, and fight alien fish monsters.

The sea is Steam on Early Access [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_Trench], and while it only promises a scant "one hour of adventure content," it's definitely one to keep an eye on.

Subnautica is set in an "alien ocean world" in which you can gather resources, build submarines, and fight creepy fish monsters. It's kind of an open-world exploration FPS, but, it isn't a sandbox game. Or even a survival game. Designer Charlie Cleveland explains [http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-earliest-access-state-game/]:

"We're not making a sandbox game, nor a building game, nor a survival game, although at times we thought we were," he says. "We're building a game where you feel like a scientist who has crash-landed on an aquatic alien world and is learning how it (and its strange inhabitants) work. It's a game of exploration, discovery and theme."

[gallery=3652]

While the game is Early Access, Cleveland stresses that it is in no way representative of the game's final build, and much like Natural Selection 2's "pay-to-play" alpha, it is necessary to stress test the game.

"So we forced ourselves to release Subnautica as 'Earliest Access' today, even though our hearts are screaming. There are bugs, warts and problems galore that we know about and know how to fix. There isn't the substance and depth we yearn for."

If this seems like the kind of game you're interested in, you can go ahead and bookmark the Subnautica website [http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/] and stay tuned for more updates.

Source: Unknown Worlds [http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-earliest-access-state-game/]

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Looks interesting, I always wanted more games set undersea. Exploration atleast in my mind is basically what a sandbox is for, I guess it depends on how you view what a sandbox is as to weather this game is one to you. Looking forward to it's release, may grab it in early access as these guys have a good track record.

Sep 14, 2009
underwater exploration...and you have the chance of running into alien fish monsters.

Those are the two worst things to combine. ever.

There is a reason why I absolutely loathe manaan in kotor, that fucking underwater part, I HATE IT MORE THAN TARIS 1000X OVER.

good god that looks awful, burn this motherfucking game to the ground.

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
This looks marvelous.

I'm....
wet with excitement. :D

The deep blue sea would be a fitting and underutilized setting for this genre of video games. The depths of the sea have always had a certain amount of mystery surrounding them.

Sooooo many creepy stuff in the real ocean.
Sooooo many potential creepy stuff for a fake ocean.

This gunn be good.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Not buying it, no matter how good it might be. The NS2 devs are total sleeze balls. I can?t believe they took away the combat NS2 mod and told me that if I wanted to play it again I?d have to buy it. Proof that you don?t have to be in the AAA industry to be a bunch of jerks to your customers. I?m sure these guys would screw me over again if I bought another one of their games.

Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
That last picture... that creature's underbelly looks WAY too much like an alien death's head for my comfort.

Also, that four-eyed shark thing has nearly as many teeth as the Osmond family.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
It looks really interesting and I'll definitely pick it up at some point. But I'll probably wait until it's a bit further along.

I get burned out of a game too quickly when playing early builds extensively.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah, that guy isn't that smart. See the water rising like a tidal wave, do nothing as oppose to getting back into the pod and shut the door, see a bunch of small fish swimming away from him, don't turn around.

OT- It look pretty neat, I would loved the see the gameplay of it.

War_Dyn27

Jan 22, 2014
Steve Waltz said:
Not buying it, no matter how good it might be. The NS2 devs are total sleeze balls. I can?t believe they took away the combat NS2 mod and told me that if I wanted to play it again I?d have to buy it. Proof that you don?t have to be in the AAA industry to be a bunch of jerks to your customers. I?m sure these guys would screw me over again if I bought another one of their games.

Uh mate, NS2 combat was made by a totally different developer, Faultline Games(the guys who made the original combat mod), with UWE acting as the publisher. Faultline made numerous additions to the game mode and the engine that were impossible in the mod so try getting the facts before slandering a company (seriously combat cost 15 bucks, you'd be lucky to get a map pack from a AAA game for that much, not to mention all the massive free updates UWE gave to NS2)

Sorry I just hate ignorant fools insulting one of my favourite indie devs, so, I already bought Subnautica and I think it has the potencial to be a really great game. it takes the basics of the survival sandbox gives them a new twist with the colourful underwater setting. at the moment the game is light on content, but with the promise of more and I trust UWE to deliver.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I've wasted so many days of my life playing Tresures of the Deep [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasures_of_the_Deep] over and over again, so this more than tickles my fancy.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Well, I enjoyed Farsky (Also Sega's 1998 Ocean Hunter cabinet), so... maybe? I'll have to see a bit more before getting really interested, I don't know much about the developer.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
That last picture... that creature's underbelly looks WAY too much like an alien death's head for my comfort.
I'm pretty sure that's a netch from Vvardenfell (Elder Scrolls). Does Bethesda know about this?

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
War_Dyn27 said:
Steve Waltz said:

Uh mate, NS2 combat was made by a totally different developer, Faultline Games(the guys who made the original combat mod), with UWE acting as the publisher. Faultline made numerous additions to the game mode and the engine that were impossible in the mod so try getting the facts before slandering a company (seriously combat cost 15 bucks, you'd be lucky to get a map pack from a AAA game for that much, not to mention all the massive free updates UWE gave to NS2)

Sorry I just hate ignorant fools insulting one of my favourite indie devs, so, I already bought Subnautica and I think it has the potencial to be a really great game. it takes the basics of the survival sandbox gives them a new twist with the colourful underwater setting. at the moment the game is light on content, but with the promise of more and I trust UWE to deliver.
Uh mate? The combat mod was originally for free when playing NS2, THEN it was taken away and now I would have to buy it to play it again. That is a scumbag move that publishers will do to squeeze money out of a game. if you note, I didn?t say I had anything against Faultline, just Unknown Worlds. Faultline just made the mod; it was Unknown Worlds that took a popular aspect out of their game, hired another dev team to shine it up a bit, and then started charging money for it.

How can you not see the wrong in this? The combat mod was already in NS2 and free to play whenever I wanted. After several months I started up NS2 again to play it and BAM, next thing I know it?s no longer in the game and I would have to pay $15 to play it again. That is a a dick move used by only the scummiest of publishers. If they weren?t such scumbags they would have given owners of NS2 the game for free, or at the VERY LEAST a discount.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
Steve Waltz said:
War_Dyn27 said:
Steve Waltz said:

Uh mate? The combat mod was originally for free when playing NS2, THEN it was taken away and now I would have to buy it to play it again. That is a scumbag move that publishers will do to squeeze money out of a game. if you note, I didn?t say I had anything against Faultline, just Unknown Worlds. Faultline just made the mod; it was Unknown Worlds that took a popular aspect out of their game, hired another dev team to shine it up a bit, and then started charging money for it.

How can you not see the wrong in this? The combat mod was already in NS2 and free to play whenever I wanted. After several months I started up NS2 again to play it and BAM, next thing I know it?s no longer in the game and I would have to pay $15 to play it again. That is a a dick move used by only the scummiest of publishers. If they weren?t such scumbags they would have given owners of NS2 the game for free, or at the VERY LEAST a discount.
Which still wasn't Unknown Worlds' doing. It was a mod to begin with. Hell, the mod's still available in the state they left it in (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99831877), the only difference being that the creators stopped hosting servers for it.

Ignoring the fact that we DID get a discount opening week. >.>

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Asuterisuku said:
Steve Waltz said:
War_Dyn27 said:
Steve Waltz said:

Which still wasn't Unknown Worlds' doing. It was a mod to begin with. Hell, the mod's still available in the state they left it in (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99831877), the only difference being that the creators stopped hosting servers for it.

Ignoring the fact that we DID get a discount opening week. >.>
Hm? That is interesting. Are you saying I could play the unpolished combat mod on NS2 if I buy a server and host the mod? Still doesn?t really matter because most of the combat mod players have been forced to migrate over and most of the new combat players are over there as well. But how is that still not Unknown Worlds? doing? Purchasing and selling is a publisher?s business, and NS2 Combat was published by Unknown Worlds.

Yea, I was busy with other stuff whenever they changed it. I was not expecting a chunk of the game to be amputated and sold back to me during my NS2 hiatus.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
Steve Waltz said:
I was not expecting a chunk of the game to be amputated and sold back to me during my NS2 hiatus.
Is the retail release of "DayZ" attributed to Bohemia amputating a part of ARMA II and selling it separate? As with then, this is a modding team that wanted to take their project further than it could go as a mod, and it's best to treat the game and the mod as separate products.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Asuterisuku said:
Steve Waltz said:
I was not expecting a chunk of the game to be amputated and sold back to me during my NS2 hiatus.
Is the retail release of "DayZ" attributed to Bohemia amputating a part of ARMA II and selling it separate? As with then, this is a modding team that wanted to take their project further than it could go as a mod, and it's best to treat the game and the mod as separate products.
Depends if people that bought ARMA II were able to have access to DayZ still. If Bohemia cut off the ARMA II players from DayZ mod than that absolutely counts as amputation. I?m sure some people bought ARMA II specifically for DayZ. Is it fair to ask for them to buy a new game they already had access to?

That?s all I?m seeing here, honestly. I was having fun playing Combat mode while NS mode is collecting dust. Then a few months later I come back and it?s gone from the server lists. I look around and find I have to pay $15 bucks to play it again. So, am I willing to give Unknown Worlds $15 for a thing I had a few months ago? No. One of my favorite aspects of the game is gone and now I?m being charged money to use it again. You can bet your bottom that I?ll be boycotting them after this. There?s no way I?m going to let this kind of thing happen to me again, because if they?re willing to do it once, they?re willing to do it again.

Is this something we as video game consumers are supposed to accept now? I know I?m not going to bend over and take it.