One Monster to Rule Them: The Wraith Is Evolve's Most Fearsome Yet

RyanSmith

Dec 17, 2014
One Monster to Rule Them: The Wraith Is Evolve's Most Fearsome Yet

I creep towards a large platform that lies a stone's throw away from four gun-wielding humans protecting a power relay. I can smell their fear. The hunters have now become the hunted.

Read Full Article

LifelessArt

Jun 6, 2013
Okay, I really hope I'm not sounding like an annoying social justice warrior or some other idiotic terminology propagated by the gaming community

...but, really? The third monster added to the game, the next powerhouse, which has been officially designated as a female, has, once again, been reduced to the rogue/assassin combatant, and she has the lowest health and defense of any of the monsters? Really? She has less health than the Kraken, the Mage of the group. A Mage, the, quote unquote, "glass cannon" of any fantasy MMO world?

Now, don't get me wrong. The Wraith seems to be one of the most amazing and deadliest creatures ever to exist in Evolve with an absolutely phenomenal design, but it bothers me that the female character has, yet again, been resigned to the classic stereotypical physical limitations simply because she is a woman.

On that note, she's a total beast who'll decimates the competition, so I'm a happy camper regardless :).

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Weren't you supposed to have like unlimited different combinations of evolution directions to go into so you can always surprise the human players?
Wasn't that the entire point of the game?
And now I read that it boils down to 4 classes with around 4 abilities each.
Seems rather limiting. I thought this was evolva done with current gen tech.

noobiemcfoob

Mar 18, 2013
LifelessArt said:
...but, really? The third monster added to the game, the next powerhouse, which has been officially designated as a female, has, once again, been reduced to the rogue/assassin combatant, and she has the lowest health and defense of any of the monsters? Really? She has less health than the Kraken, the Mage of the group. A Mage, the, quote unquote, "glass cannon" of any fantasy MMO world? .
On the 'glass cannon' stereotype, I'm not so positive that is the status quo any more. Sure, mages are still commonly DPS, but if you look at Inquistion, the mages are more resilient than the rogues. But, that's just nitpicking on my part.

As for the general argument about the sexist quality of the wraith being female: I just don't see it. Sure, I'm all for arguments about shallow females in revealing armor and what not, but you're complaining about a monster and what is essentially flavor text.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
LifelessArt said:
Okay, I really hope I'm not sounding like an annoying social justice warrior or some other idiotic terminology propagated by the gaming community

...but, really? The third monster added to the game, the next powerhouse, which has been officially designated as a female, has, once again, been reduced to the rogue/assassin combatant, and she has the lowest health and defense of any of the monsters? Really? She has less health than the Kraken, the Mage of the group. A Mage, the, quote unquote, "glass cannon" of any fantasy MMO world?
Yeah you're right, that did sound pretty loltumblr.

Besides which it doesn't sound like it's a fragile female, it sounds like a Tyranid Lictor; less soak for a lot more offensive power and rewards planning.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
LifelessArt said:

Now, don't get me wrong. The Wraith seems to be one of the most amazing and deadliest creatures ever to exist in Evolve with an absolutely phenomenal design, but it bothers me that the female character has, yet again, been resigned to the classic stereotypical physical limitations simply because she is a woman.

On that note, she's a total beast who'll decimates the competition, so I'm a happy camper regardless :).
Er...I'm smelling some kind of feminist propaganda here. Can you REALLY manage to read females are weak into a monster like the Wraith? Really?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
That kind of looks like a Lictor.

That kind of plays like a Lictor.

ForumSafari said:
Besides which it doesn't sound like it's a fragile female, it sounds like a Tyranid Lictor; less soak for a lot more offensive power and rewards planning.
Good to know it's not just me, they should tread carefully, GW ain't shy with the copyrights.

Anyways, it's a cool beastie, I was hoping for a tunneling monster though.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
PunkRex said:
That kind of looks like a Lictor.

That kind of plays like a Lictor.

ForumSafari said:
Good to know it's not just me, they should tread carefully, GW ain't shy with the copyrights.

Anyways, it's a cool beastie, I was hoping for a tunneling monster though.
If it stalks like a Lictor and it kills like a Lictor... Then it's probably a Lictor. Thought the same thing when I read the article.