Buying World of Warcraft Game Time With Gold? It Could Happen, Says Blizzard

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Buying World of Warcraft Game Time With Gold? It Could Happen, Says Blizzard

Blizzard says it is considering the possibility of adding "game time tokens" to its virtual store, which can then be sold for gold.

Some subscription-based MMO's, like as Eve Online and Blizzard community poster Bashiok [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wildstar-will-be-a-subscription-based-mmo/1100-6413154/]. Bashiok stated that one of the things Blizzard is considering for a future update is the addition of "tradable game-time tokens" to the in-game store which can be exchanged in-game with other players for gold.

He says that this offers a solution to two common problems - it allows players who are efficient enough at farming gold to essentially play for free, while also allowing those who wish to purchase gold a safe and easy way of doing so.

Currently, the only use of the in-game store is to purchase mounts/pets that are also available on Level 90 boosts [https://us.battle.net/shop/en/].

Other features listed by Bashiok in the forum post include integration with Twitter to send out in-game screenshots, and an Heirloom tab that would work in a similar way to the mounts and pets tab. He also mentioned that the legendary ring questline would continue with the Blackrock Foundry raid in the new year, and would bring the first Legendary follower to your Garrison.

I personally think this is a great move from Blizzard. I don't really like being tied in to having to pay a subscription every month (mostly because I'm a cheapskate), but I am quite good at farming gold. Sounds like a win/win.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15688408873]

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Every time an MMO does something like this the tokens or whatever they use get you only about 1/4-1/2 of the gold you would get using gold farmers.

Edit: It also opens up the ability of buying cheaper gold from gold farmers and then using that money to pay for your subscription time, so instead of paying $15 a month you might get enough gold to pay for 1 1/2 or 2 months of gametime.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
NickBrahz said:
Edit: It also opens up the ability of buying cheaper gold from gold farmers and then using that money to pay for your subscription time, so instead of paying $15 a month you might get enough gold to pay for 1 1/2 or 2 months of gametime.
I was wondering that as well when I read the story. Surely the gold famers would just all drop their price so that they can offer more game time than paying Blizzard directly. Supply and demand yo.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, Blizzard is thinking about selling gold. In a sub-based game. Aaaaaaand any desire I had to play WoD just died down...

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Jandau said:
So, Blizzard is thinking about selling gold. In a sub-based game. Aaaaaaand any desire I had to play WoD just died down...
As the article pointed out, this is far from a new idea in subs MMOs.

Also they're not actually selling gold, just selling items to allow players to move gold around. It doesn't add (or remove) gold from the economy.

EDIT: It's not even the first time Blizzard have sold tradable items in the store, they've been selling tradable Guardian Cub pets for years.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
EVE online has been doing this for a good while now, and it's been working pretty nice.

With EVE being a lot more complex then WoW is, EVE's version of Guild can actually tax your income. Some "guilds" put on massive taxes but use that money to buy the subscription costs for their members.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
NickBrahz said:
I was wondering that as well when I read the story. Surely the gold famers would just all drop their price so that they can offer more game time than paying Blizzard directly. Supply and demand yo.
Oh of course they will, but it becomes an issue of convenience then. Do you possibly risk losing your account, either through action by Blizzard or by the gold farmers jackin your account, by using gold farmers. Or! Do you get less gold, but have the safety of knowing that you wont be scammed?

Personally I'd go with the less gold for peace of mind.

On topic!

I enjoyed this system in Wildstar as it let me play for a few months longer than I had originally intended to play. I'm not the most efficient gold farmer, but even if I can only get a month of game time every other month or so I'll be golden. Granted I'm not playing right now, but whenever I do get back in it'll be sweet.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Jandau said:
Thats not whats happening. What IS happening here is people can buy game time and and exchange it with other players for gold. And as someone else has pointed out, game time is just a new addition, you've been able to sell shop bought pets in game for gold for quite some time.

Christ, I love WoW, but the players (or ex players that stalk MMO champion daily) do really get on my tits when they give Blizzard flak for stuff they haven't read properly or just invented in their own heads. Eve has done it for ages and it's doing fine. The great one is BUT BLIZZARD PROMISED! When all they said is "we're considering...x"

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
If this functions like what GW2 has, I'm for it. I'd certainly drop 15$ to get a gold boost, if it's through legit means.

I've put a lot of money in GW2 with their gem/gold conversions.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
elvor0 said:
Jandau said:
Thats not whats happening. What IS happening here is people can buy game time and and exchange it with other players for gold. And as someone else has pointed out, game time is just a new addition, you've been able to sell shop bought pets in game for gold for quite some time.

Christ, I love WoW, but the players (or ex players that stalk MMO champion daily) do really get on my tits when they give Blizzard flak for stuff they haven't read properly or just invented in their own heads. Eve has done it for ages and it's doing fine. The great one is BUT BLIZZARD PROMISED! When all they said is "we're considering...x"
*sigh* It's not the same thing as some random ass pets, I'm sure you can see that... Also, just because "EVE's done it" doesn't mean it's a good thing, either for WoW specifically or MMOs in general, not to mention WoW and EVE are VASTLY different games.

I'm sorry me not approving of a developer's plans and deciding not to support their product gets "on your tits". I can see why that would be upsetting...

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
But then obviously they'd also sell the tokens in the cash shop so you could trade them ingame.

So the 90% of the MMO's population who are not actually that good at getting tons of gold (because it involves getting into the metagame a lot, playing the auction house or doing repetitive grinding) would have to buy them with IRL money.

That's the reason they'd be interested in doing it: to draw in the whales who want to trade these for ingame cash and nothing else.

Even casual MMO's like WoW spend way too much time catering to the economy crowd IMO. These games should be about exploring a living world and working together, not about playing a virtual stockbroker or keeping track of half a million spreadsheets.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Fdzzaigl said:
But then obviously they'd also sell the tokens in the cash shop so you could trade them ingame.

So the 90% of the MMO's population who are not actually that good at getting tons of gold (because it involves getting into the metagame a lot, playing the auction house or doing repetitive grinding) would have to buy them with IRL money.

That's the reason they'd be interested in doing it: to draw in the whales who want to trade these for ingame cash and nothing else.

Even casual MMO's like WoW spend way too much time catering to the economy crowd IMO. These games should be about exploring a living world and working together, not about playing a virtual stockbroker or keeping track of half a million spreadsheets.
Not necessarily true, actually. I work full time, go to uni part time and raid 3-4 nights a week in game. That does not leave me with a lot of time to grind for gold or play the AH. However, I do have a lot of disposable income due to my full time work. What this means is I can now trade money for gold without having to go to shady gold sellers and risk losing my account.

It also means that people that play a lot and have time to grind for gold and play the AH but don't work full time and don't have disposable income can now generate gametime through play.

It's a win-win scenario for both types of players. I won't have to struggle for in game gold to pay for my flasks/pots required for raiding and the other players won't have to skip meals to play for another month.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I'm just saying: don't be naive. Their reason for doing it is to capture the few whales who will spend boatloads of money on game time tokens to get ingame money.
They aren't going to make it so the casual playerbase will be able to ditch their subscription, only a few hardcore players will.

Goldsellers won't be stopped by stuff like this, they haven't been stopped in other games with purchasable gametime either. You can buy gold illegally for all of the MMO's mentioned in the OP for example.

Blizzard has released quite a few statistics over the years that pointed toward the general playerbase not participating in organised raids (non-LFR) and competitive PvP. If you're doing that, it means you already belong to the more hardcore public.

I also have to wonder: how much time do you reserve for sleep? :p

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
Ranorak said:
EVE online has been doing this for a good while now, and it's been working pretty nice.

With EVE being a lot more complex then WoW is, EVE's version of Guild can actually tax your income. Some "guilds" put on massive taxes but use that money to buy the subscription costs for their members.
PLEX was the first thing I thought of when I saw the headline. Even with inflation and demand it is worth it if you can afford it. I try to purchase two to dual train and sub an account.