Final Fantasy XV Trailer Reveals First Female Cid

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Final Fantasy XV Trailer Reveals First Female Cid

Modern cities, fast cars, and a woman named Cid are the highlights of the latest FFXV trailer.

As even casual fans know, the Final Fantasy series has a long history of Final Fantasy XV [http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cid] launches, that is--the next core entry in Square Enix's flagship series brings the first female Cid into the fold.

You can get your first look at Cid--Cidney, technically--at about 1:50 in this trailer, which made its debut at Japan's annual Jump Festa expo. Like many Cids before her, this one seems to be good with machines--cars, specifically, which the trailer has a lot of. There are plenty of other highlights to be found in the clip as well, like some decidedly un-Final Fantasy-like bustling city streets full of zooming cars, towering giants, and action-heavy combat.

As for Cid, it's refreshing to see a new take on a series staple, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes a bit at her needlessly suggestive attire. I don't begrudge any woman who feels comfortable in a bikini top, booty shorts, and thigh-highs, but is that really a practical outfit for a mechanic? Then again, Final Fantasy attire isn't really known for being practical [http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080314220346/finalfantasy2/de/images/5/54/Vaan_FFXII.jpg].

Final Fantasy XV doesn't yet have a release date, but a demo is due out next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137524-Final-Fantasy-XV-Demo-in-2015].

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-features-the-first-female-cid-1673478411]

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Really Really hope this game comes to PC. Looks legit.

Wonder if the will have banter and stuff while you walk like in the DA games ( Nowadays, I kinda hope games do that more)

Also, am I the only one getting a Stardust Crusaders vibe from this game? All they need is a gangster dog.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Words that Square Enix should look up in the dictionary:

Restraint
Subtlety
Artistic
Integrity (Artistic)
Anatomy (Artistic)
Minimalism
Intrigue
Realism (Artistic)

Add your own!

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
I can honestly say I didn't notice the Cid model until the third time I watched the trailer. Forget her attire, that voice is atrocious.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Redryhno said:
I can honestly say I didn't notice the Cid model until the third time I watched the trailer. Forget her attire, that voice is atrocious.
Good thing the game is dual audio.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:

Wonder if the will have banter and stuff while you walk like in the DA games ( Nowadays, I kinda hope games do that more)

Also, am I the only one getting a Stardust Crusaders vibe from this game? All they need is a gangster dog.
It probably will come to PC, most of the recent Final Fantasy games have been ported over...though they end up popping up like 2-3 years down the line. So yea...
I'd love it on PC too but I'll probably pick it up at bargin bin price a year or so after release instead of waiting another year or two for it to port to PC.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Insomnia? At last it seem that J-products have switched from stupid German names to stupid English names. Looks slick, though.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
As is the usual for the latest FF games, looks to be all show and no substance. The usual character archetypes too. Naive young guy, aggressive young guy, cool headed mentor and... that other dude.

Is this now a sandbox? If not, what's the point in showing so much of the car?

I'm glad FF is going in a different direction as far as the overall atmosphere of the game goes, but they've shat the bed too many times.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
It almost looks like they are going for a "Grand Theft Final Fantasy" vibe from it. I dunno. I'm not yet sold on this one. At least from the initial glimpses it almost looks like Square said "yeah them fans really go for them brooding obnoxious spiky haired testosterone charged nitwits. Let's give them nothing but those dudes to play!" It's like they took the worst characters from FF VIII and just hit copy paste.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Longing said:
As is the usual for the latest FF games, looks to be all show and no substance. The usual character archetypes too. Naive young guy, aggressive young guy, cool headed mentor and... that other dude.

Is this now a sandbox? If not, what's the point in showing so much of the car?

I'm glad FF is going in a different direction as far as the overall atmosphere of the game goes, but they've shat the bed too many times.
Skeptic as always, eh Scully? (that is Scully, right)

Yeah, pretty sure that SE mentioned a few times that the game's going to be open world.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Redryhno said:
Seems fitting to me. Everyone knows that the only women who can possibly be into cars are hicks.

Also, I know it's kind a cliched gripe, but I really hope that the antagonists all wearing all black is simply because they haven't finalized their designs yet, and that their current garbs will be changed/recolored for the official release.

Edit: That said, I love the designs at the start of the trailer, and the way that they kind of have this interesting mix of tech and magic. Say what you will about Square (thanks I think they will; their games have been shite since the PS2 era), they can create some awesome-looking worlds.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
faefrost said:
it almost looks like Square said "yeah them fans really go for them brooding obnoxious spiky haired testosterone charged nitwits. Let's give them nothing but those dudes to play!"
Yeah, they are very samey. If the only characters you get to play with are these guys, then that's a huge departure from even more recent FF fare. Used to be you'd have guys, gals, animals and god knows what else!

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
I am enjoying the art style a little better then the last few installments. Seems like a lot less buckles buckled to buckles to hold up absolutely nothing. I am not liking the English voice acting. They sound so monotone.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Ryan Hughes said:
Words that Square Enix should look up in the dictionary:

Restraint
Subtlety
Artistic
Integrity (Artistic)
Anatomy (Artistic)
Minimalism
Intrigue
Realism (Artistic)

Add your own!
Fun

/thread

Alright, not serious but, I just want to play a next-gen Final Fantasy game. So far having to eat and sleep in hotels isn't exactly what I would call....fantasy.

SUPA FRANKY said:
*Adds "Optimization" and "Performance" to that list*

It probably will come out to PC, even if it is sometime down the line instead of DAY 1, the sales from FFXIII and XIII-2 haven't been that bad.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
So this FF is the adventures of Wesker, Cloud, Emo boy, and Macho Man as they drive around fighting random crap. With the background narrative being that they are trying to get away from some nebulous empire that seems evil. Also does the female Cid really need the deep south/Louisiana accent?

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Nice visuals but that English dub is atrocious.
Did SE say anything about a Japanese dub option for this game?

On another note I can't help myself thinking that this "road trip" theme will be utterly stupid.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Ishigami said:
Nice visuals but that English dub is atrocious.
Did SE say anything about a Japanese dub option for this game?

On another note I can't help myself thinking that this "road trip" theme will be utterly stupid.
A variation of it worked as a starting point in Front Mission 3, could always go that route.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
VincentX3 said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
*Adds "Optimization" and "Performance" to that list*

It probably will come out to PC, even if it is sometime down the line instead of DAY 1, the sales from FFXIII and XIII-2 haven't been that bad.
True. Though they would be nice, I don't mind lack of indepth graphic options. But Consistent 60 FPS. 60FPS man. That is mandatory. Without it, I will never buy the game. Instant dealbreaker for me.