Behind the Scenes of Star Wars Episode IV In Polaroids

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Behind the Scenes of Star Wars Episode IV In Polaroids

Notes from the continuity editor keep everything together in an archive of old Star Wars scripts and Polaroid pictures.

A series of Polaroid pictures and scripts from Star Wars [http://escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars] Episode IV: A New Hope will be on display at the British Film Institute Southbank through January 4, 2015. If you can't make it to the BFI to see them in person, we have some for you to look over.

Continuity editor and script supervisor Ann Skinner annotated pictures and scripts for scene setups and minute details. It requires a lot of attention to detail, and you can see Skinner's quick, small notes in the margins of scripts and along Polaroids taken on set in Tunisia. Skinner's role was akin to an intermediary between the director and the editor. She checked the expected running length of scenes and ensured times of day were consistent. Without a continuity editor, rewrites of the script can introduce small mistakes. Skinner even wrote notes about the placement of props and which scenes will consist of special effects from Industrial Light & Magic.

Vertical lines through scripts and the corresponding numbers refer to specific clapper boards for the editor to match footage when putting it all together. Polaroid pictures were a quick and easy resource for referencing the positions of characters and props along with costumes. One picture notes Leia's bracelet is on her right wrist. Skinner even documented the position of walls and debris for scenes.

[gallery=3678]

The full write up of the exhibition is available on the British Film Institute's website. All pictures are courtesy of the BFI National Archive.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20the%20force%20awakens] is scheduled for release in December 2015.

Source: British Film Institute [http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/set-star-wars-episode-iv-new-hope]

Jan 12, 2012
Interesting pictures. I wonder if continuity editors now use tablets with cameras to take pictures or short videos, annotate them, and send them to the appropriate folder; probably much easier to keep track of everything, but losing a bit of that magic.

Also, maskless Vader never ceases to surprise me; I'm always half-expecting James Earl Jones under there.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Funny how Tarkin is supposed to be taller (in the books) but he actually looks so tiny in that last pic. Also seeing Peter Cushing smile in costume sort of destroys any sense of menace... wow what an actor.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I love the last picture, I could never imagine Tarkin smiling for any reasons outside of genocide. More like this Escapist as you find it please! :D

Thunderous Cacophony said:
Also, maskless Vader never ceases to surprise me; I'm always half-expecting James Earl Jones under there.

"Is he going to be some Scottish guy or what is this?"

The power of the voice is not to be underestimated. :)

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Maskless vader looks pretty awesome tbh.

Also, I think they're a little too attached to that Trash Compactor, lol.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I would love to look at the pictures but the picture viewer this site uses is just too slow. It seems to need to reload the whole page just to scroll to the next picture.