Voice of Chuckie and Dexter, Christine Cavanaugh, Passes Away

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Voice of Chuckie and Dexter, Christine Cavanaugh, Passes Away

Beloved 1990s voice actress Christine Cavanaugh played many of our favorite roles in Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows.

Christine Cavanaugh passed away on December 22 in her home, her sister Deionn Masock confirmed. Cavanaugh was a voice actress for many years before retiring in 2001 to be closer to her family. Cavanaugh was 51 years old when she died of an unknown cause, Masock said.

Cavanaugh played Chuckie Finster in Nickelodeon's Rugrats, Dexter in Cartoon Network's Dexter's Laboratory, and Goslyn in Disney's Darkwing Duck. She can also be found in The Powerpuff Girls, The Wild Thornberrys, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and Sonic the Hedgehog. Cavanaugh won an Annie Award in 2000 for her role as Dexter.

Cavanaugh's family said Christine brought smiles and laughter to many people through her acting.

"Christine has touched many lives, some we know and others we do not..." her family wrote in an obituary. "Many know of her from the roles she played, but in each role there was a part of her showing through that the ones who truly knew her could see."

Once retired, Cavanaugh spent her time hiking, reading, writing, and spending time with her family.

We'll look back on Cavanaugh's roles fondly, especially her work as kid genius Dexter in the "omelette du fromage" bit.

Source: Los Angeles Times [http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?n=christine-josephine-cavanaugh&pid=173657726]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Awh no, that's so sad. Especially for her family but also all of us 90's kids who grew up with her work. RIP ma'am.

Captcha: fast asleep

fuck you captcha... thats not cool.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
She voiced one of the my favorite characters of all time. She will be missed :(

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
What?! NO! She wasn't even old! What the hell happened?!

Man, that's sad... condolences to her family.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You forgot Babe.

Sad to hear. She was probably my favourite voice actress back in the good old Cartoon Network days.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Huh...quite the pedigree on that one. Even had a major voice in the old Sonic SatAM cartoon.
Thank you for making the cartoons I grew up with awesome, Mrs. Cavanaugh.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
You forgot Babe.

Sad to hear. She was probably my favourite voice actress back in the good old Cartoon Network days.
Of course! Makes me smack myself in the forehead for not linking Dexter's voice to Babe's before.

I've gotta go back and re-watch those old films again...*wistful sigh*.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
...So she voiced my childhood? Now my soul is crying. She was still so young! This sucks, I hope her family will be okay. I've lost people recently too, and it really sucks.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
BX3 said:
What?! NO! She wasn't even old!
That was pretty much my reaction as well. These days, simply dying at 51 without a severe illness or major biological issue to blame is practically unheard of.

It's a real pity; she brought some beloved characters to life.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
This used to be played on Cartoon network . Good times .

And heres a flashback to the golden age of cartoons for you guys.

Now you may cry.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm ashame that I didn't knew it was her who voiced Dexter and Chucky! She will be missed.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Oh good, because this year hasn't been hard enough on the nostalgic crowd already, they just had to get one more in before the year ends. Thanks a fucking heap, universe.

In all honesty, I wish condolences to her family and friends, and may she rest in peace.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Everyone from my childhood is either dead or a pedophile.

It's very sad that she died; I loved just about every character she voiced.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
So she's the one that voice my childhood.

Man, that's right in the nostalgia.

She'll be missed. :(